GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Erm....Ecommerce Help/Tips?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/01/02 at 20:01
Regular
I am trying to make an online shop site. It should include the regulars like a homepage etc. but also a stock page.

But unlike any other shopping site, this one sells personalised number plates. So I think that I might need a part where you type in your personalised number plate, words/numbers etc.

How would I make this work, and how should I go about making the site?

Are there any programs I could use?

Any Tips/Help/Advice would be a real help!
Fri 25/01/02 at 13:59
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Sure, I agree, put making the user fill in everything (including the maths, I might add) him/herself is just a total turn off.
Fri 25/01/02 at 09:06
Tyla wrote:
> Ecommerce is still more about psychology than pretty
> graphics and technology...

Thats a great quote, which I may use somewhere, sometime...
Fri 25/01/02 at 08:08
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Sure, but the user would have to fill in *everything*, and you can forget about a shopping cart completely.

Interesting stat for you... 96% of online shopping carts only contain one item. 26% of online shopping carts are abandoned before completeion of the trasactaction. Hence why we don't have one!

You'll probably find that most people will see the site, assess it's "features" and think it's too shoddy, fiddly and disrespectful then go somewhere else.

Depends on (I'll get shot for this) it's usability ans security... Online shoppers are stupid!! The need somethng useable, friendly and reasuring. If there a product there they want, they won't care about it's look as long as it's logical, friendly, uesable and secure!!

Ecommerce is still more about psychology than pretty graphics and technology...
Thu 24/01/02 at 17:39
What about freindsreunited.com, that looks like pap, but I payed for my membership to it through worldpay.

OK... It has a DB behind it to log all the users, but it could just as easily be a flat HTML site flogging... erm, licence plates I believe.
Thu 24/01/02 at 16:58
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Sure, but the user would have to fill in *everything*, and you can forget about a shopping cart completely. You'll probably find that most people will see the site, assess it's "features" and think it's too shoddy, fiddly and disrespectful then go somewhere else.
Thu 24/01/02 at 15:59
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Turbonutter wrote:
> But you seriously don't expect to make a E-com site knowing only "quite a
> bit" of HTML. That would be ludicrous.

Depends really, you're not going to get anything advanced for sure. But never under estimate people's desire to cut corners and save money I say. :)
For instance, get yourself an internet trading account, sign up for worldpay (or one of the other numerous companies providing such services), all you need then is static html forms for your products, you click buy, it takes you to worldpay's secure payment server. They handle the rest, all done with little html knowledge.

Found this a few days ago

http://www.whiskyrarities.co.uk/

Pretty much what I suggested, a bit more advanced because they have some javascript to add up totals. :)

I guess in the end its going to come down to what you consider an ecommerce site.

-G
Thu 24/01/02 at 15:12
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
But you seriously don't expect to make a E-com site knowing only "quite a bit" of HTML. That would be ludicrous.
Thu 24/01/02 at 09:53
Yeh, Garin, don't let the crazy ones scare you off... :)
Thu 24/01/02 at 07:44
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Garin wrote:
> Turbonutter wrote:
> A word of advice - don't give up your day job.

My
> day job, that would be web developer which I've just given up. :)

My turn to
> give "a word of advice". Treat people as you wish to be
> treated.

-G

You'll get used to Rob eventually, even if he is still at school!!;-)
Wed 23/01/02 at 23:57
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Turbonutter wrote:
> A word of advice - don't give up your day job.

My day job, that would be web developer which I've just given up. :)

My turn to give "a word of advice". Treat people as you wish to be treated.

-G

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.