GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Monitor vs TV"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 16/01/02 at 19:39
Regular
I have access to a 21 inch monitor and a 21 inch TV which one has better graphics when playing the ps2 the tv or the monitor, i've heard many people tell me the monitor is better then there are those people who tell me the tv is better, but which one is really better for running a ps2.
Wed 16/01/02 at 19:39
Regular
"!"£$%^&*()_+"
I have access to a 21 inch monitor and a 21 inch TV which one has better graphics when playing the ps2 the tv or the monitor, i've heard many people tell me the monitor is better then there are those people who tell me the tv is better, but which one is really better for running a ps2.
Wed 16/01/02 at 19:46
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I would say TV. I have a friend(Stormpool) and he plays his PS2 on a 22" monitor. I find that the monitor doesnt give a clear picture, it seems blurred. I would say the TV is better in my experience. Maybe he had his monitor on the wrong setting or something, but I know that I prefer my TV. One good thing though is with games that have big boarders e.g DMC you can get rid of them by centring the screen.

I would stick with the TV, but you may want to get an monitor adaptor aswell and then use them both.
Wed 16/01/02 at 19:48
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
One more point to add. The colours didnt seem as bright or sharp. He played SSX Tricky and it didnt look as colourfull as I was use to. This may be because of his monitor settings.
Wed 16/01/02 at 22:14
Regular
I thought that monitors would beat Televisions but this is going to change when Sony release the official monitor but I'm not going to get its just way to expensive.

Why do people in these forums think that the X box is more of a Personal Computer than the Playstation 2 I mean just look at the peripherals of the Playstation 2 and those for the box and it looks like the Playstation 2 is more of a Personal Computer than the X box plus there is also the Linux kit which you can use for programming soon I'm sure Sony will come up with Linux Word and may say it will help you make documentations of the programs you've made with the Linux Kit and then they will keep on saying that X box is just a Personal Computer in form of a console.

Also on the topic of peripherals I really like the Headphones and microphone gadget that Microsoft are working on so instead of using a keyboard and mouse (like a Personal Computer though the Playstation 2 will be like that when you want to communicate online with the others you are playing with) you will be just talking through them and so you can talk trash while still playing without distractions or having to pause to type stuff.
Thu 17/01/02 at 05:19
Regular
"maximum homerdrive"
i think it's mainly because the x box has an intel CPU (like a pc) and it uses nvidia geforce 4 (soon avalible for a pc) it also has a Hard disk like a pc the list is endless. it also runs a modified version of windows (like the dreamcast did)

but i think consoles are becoming more pc like with keyboards and mice about now.

even the GC had a CPU made by IBM who made mainly pc stuff.

i do thin MS are being a bit to over confident in the x-box. they seem to think it will just sell on following in the rule book

Advertise
+
brag about graphics
+
have some good loking games
=
good selling console

sadly not that simple Mr Gates

i was also told by my dad that he'd buy a GC for my birthday if i want one but not an x-box as he doesn't want to spend money on something which he thinks is gunna flop.
Thu 17/01/02 at 09:44
Regular
bars-tard wrote:
> i think it's mainly because the x box has an intel CPU (like a pc) and it uses
> nvidia geforce 4 (soon avalible for a pc) it also has a Hard disk like a pc the
> list is endless. it also runs a modified version of windows (like the dreamcast
> did)

True said but Sony have made a deal with the guys that make Linux so that is available for the Playstation 2 so that those who know how to program can use it as a programming software and that sound very PCish, there is going to be a Hard Disc Drive for the Playstation 2 which looks it wasn't supposed to be a main thing in the Playstation 2 but after Sony so the benfits of Hard Drive they then changed their mind, I still think the Hard Disc Drive was an after thought and they never really though very much about but decided to create the Playstation 2 in way that if they changed their mind the Hard Drive will still be able to work on the Playstation 2. In terms of games is that their is only one Playstation 2 game that uses the Hard Drive, Final Fantasy X yet it isnt out in Europe and it isn't a must to have Hard Drive to play this game as it only cuts loading thime by a few seconds. Now compare this with the amount of X box games that utilise the Hard Drive avaliable and thats one reason that the game in terms of looks and loading times are much better than Playstation 2 games.

but i think consoles are becoming more pc like with keyboards and mice
> about now.

even the GC had a CPU made by IBM who made mainly pc stuff.

Its good if the console is like a Computer that way developers can get more good results faster like the way Gamecube and X box launch games look good as and some better than the second generation Playstation 2 games plus X box is going to be the first console of the three to have the most on-line compatible games in Europe yet this is its first year. Now when it comes to on-line gaming it has really been disapointing for the Playstation 2 in Europe, only one game has such a feature and that is Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3 compared with the X box launch games where their are a couple of games that utilise the fact that their is a modem built in, like the Hard Drive I also see this like it was an after thought for Sony but they still built the Playstation 2 to be able to take a modem in the future when they change their mind.
i
> do thin MS are being a bit to over confident in the x-box. they seem to think it
> will just sell on following in the rule book

Advertise
+
brag about
> graphics
+
have some good loking games
=
good selling console

sadly not
> that simple Mr Gates

It seemed to work for Sony before the Playstation 2 launch though also the success of the original Playstation played a big role on the success of the Playstation 2 but if you read magazines that were talking about Playstation 2 games before its launch in the United Kingdom and many other European countries you'll find that they were always comparing Playstation games with Playstation 2 games to show the improvement in graphical capabilities and also because most launch games were sequels to those on Playstation for example in PSM2 issue no. 1 they had a small section on the article on Tekken Tag Tournament where they compared the graphic to that of Tekken 3 and Tekken Tag Tournament won.

Though I really consider Microsoft as marketing geniuses as if they hadnt marketed their products properly during the time the company was small like giving every educational institution MS word which led to it becoming very popular in fact there are very many people who have never used another word proccesor apart from MS word, the same goes for products like Windows and Internet Explorer etc.

i was also told by my dad that he'd buy a GC for my
> birthday if i want one but not an x-box as he doesn't want to spend money on
> something which he thinks is gunna flop.

Flopping is unpredictable for any console at the moment as not all have been launched in Europe where there is a lot of money to be made, even more than in Japan though there seems to be price competition between these three consoles and X box is the most expensive compared to the other 2 , but in the long run its much cheaper than the Playstation 2 as at launch it is £ 300 yet you get a Hard Disc Drive and a modem as well but for those like me who got a Playstation2 at launch to enjoy what the Hard Drive and modem have to offer we will have to spend an extra £ 240 (though the prices are not confirmed I know that a 40 GB Hard Drive for a Personal Computer will cost £199.99 and so
I think that this will be the price for the Playstation 2 Hard Drive and then the modem will probably cost £ 40).

So in the end you've actually spent £ 540 just to enjoy a potion of what X box owners are enjoying as not many developers making games for the Playstation 2 are not using the Hard Drive very much as their is only one official Hard Drive that can work with the Playstation 2 though it looks like there quite a number thinking of making their games on-line compatible as you can use many unofficial modems to play games online using your Playstation 2.

Thanks for reading,
Thu 17/01/02 at 10:04
Regular
Im not trying to prove you wrong but Im just saying a bit more on what you said so dont take it the wrong way, I cant say your name because of fear of getting banned.
Thu 17/01/02 at 10:18
Regular
"Tag as above"
144 WROTE:
So in the end you've actually spent £
> 540 just to enjoy a potion of what X box owners are enjoying as not many
> developers making games for the Playstation 2 are not using the Hard Drive very
> much as their is only one official Hard Drive that can work with the Playstation
> 2 though it looks like there quite a number thinking of making their games
> on-line compatible as you can use many unofficial modems to play games online
> using your Playstation 2.

I hope the Harddisk drive doesn't cost that much or I'll be finding an alternative way of fitting one, I see no reason for it to be more than £100-£120 as you can get an 80GB HDD for £90.

The modem too should be reasonable, between £15-£40 as its only a modem or a network card which can be picked up for as little as £10 each for a PC.

I'm sure there will be a primium for the SONY logo, but if its expensive someone will comeup with an adaptor for fitting a standard PC HDD to it, if they haven't already.
Thu 17/01/02 at 10:27
Regular
FatButcher wrote:
> I'm sure there will be a primium
> for the SONY logo, but if its expensive someone will comeup with an adaptor for
> fitting a standard PC HDD to it, if they haven't already.

Sony are known for good quality goods so I reckon that the £40 GB hard Drive will be sold for between £100 and £200 also because your paying for the logo, for now it looks like the Official Hard Disc Drive is the only one that can work on the Playstation 2 so Sony may want to take advantage of this though they have to be careful as it could be a bad move. And also we (European consumers) pay for most of the costs that Multinational Companies face by High Prices so it could go for £199.99.
Thu 17/01/02 at 14:22
Regular
144 Wrote:
Sony are known for good quality goods so I reckon that the £40 GB hard Drive will be sold for between £100 and £200 also because your paying for the logo.

I've got to say that is a bit of a stupid reason as the danm thing is gonna be inside the PS2 isn't it?
Personally I won't be getting either the HDD or the network adapter, for now anyway - there's just no reason good enough to make me fork out that much cash for something which is going to be used very little.

Perhaps when we get games like Unreal Tournament 2, GT-N and (please God!) Counter Strike, then I might think about it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.