GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The state of british ISP's"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 15/01/02 at 17:49
Regular
Why are all our dial up ISP's so crap. I'm on BT internet and there so called anytime (more like sometime) it takes ages to connect and when your on a download it cuts after 30mins sometimes.

AOL is probably the best with no cut off but then you have to use there software which then takes your PC hostage and only a re-format will ever get rid of it.

I think it's about time they pushed broadband and reduced the cost (£40 a month is to much BT) i also think the cable company's should extend there coverage.

The console makers are all talking about online gaming but it's not gunna be possible with 56k access which has it's limits.

Maybe the console makers should set up a gaming broadband service of some sort that can be avalible to everyone.

There always telling us how great broadband is but there not pushing it so that it's in the reach of everyone.

Maybe one day we all we have broadband connections but it's still years away unless someone does something about it.
Tue 15/01/02 at 17:49
Regular
"maximum homerdrive"
Why are all our dial up ISP's so crap. I'm on BT internet and there so called anytime (more like sometime) it takes ages to connect and when your on a download it cuts after 30mins sometimes.

AOL is probably the best with no cut off but then you have to use there software which then takes your PC hostage and only a re-format will ever get rid of it.

I think it's about time they pushed broadband and reduced the cost (£40 a month is to much BT) i also think the cable company's should extend there coverage.

The console makers are all talking about online gaming but it's not gunna be possible with 56k access which has it's limits.

Maybe the console makers should set up a gaming broadband service of some sort that can be avalible to everyone.

There always telling us how great broadband is but there not pushing it so that it's in the reach of everyone.

Maybe one day we all we have broadband connections but it's still years away unless someone does something about it.
Tue 15/01/02 at 17:53
Regular
BT broadband is £40?! that flippin crap.

I think NTL cable modem is £25, which is cheaper but still expensive when you compare it with most of the rest of the world.
Tue 15/01/02 at 18:01
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Cable is also meant to be slightly more reliable and faster than ADSL. The main problem with cable, as stated by bars tard is the poor coverage of cable in this country.
I believe cable internet is the way forward. Now we just need to wait for the likes of telewest, NTL and blueyonder to pull their fingers out a little.
Tue 15/01/02 at 18:04
Regular
"¬_¬"
I have AOL and sometimes it crashes for no reason. Like a couple of nights ago when I was writing a really long post.
Tue 15/01/02 at 20:22
Regular
On Blue yonder you can get broadband for £25 a month, I have normal Blue Yonder, £10 a month, it never disconnects for no reason, its really good
Tue 15/01/02 at 20:46
Regular
"!"£$%^&*()_+"
i think the 2 hour disconnect has it's benifits but is also iritating when downloading a large file which can't be resumed. i also think cable modem is the way forward. the phone line are getting a little crowded.
Tue 15/01/02 at 21:31
"slightlyshortertagl"
my AOL 7.0 keeps crashing so thereofore i'm stuck with AOL6.0

I didn't lie, I just ommitted certain truths....
Tue 15/01/02 at 21:42
lvlägmä Š®ägņón wrote:
> i think the 2 hour disconnect has it's benifits but is also iritating when
> downloading a large file which can't be resumed. i also think cable modem is the
> way forward. the phone line are getting a little crowded.

The only problem is that when everyone has cable that would be crowded and slowed down aswell. What we all really need is a dish or something like that your own fast connection which you don't share with others.
Tue 15/01/02 at 21:48
"slightlyshortertagl"
bingbong wrote:
> lvlägmä Š®ägņón wrote:
> i think the 2
> hour disconnect has it's benifits but is also iritating when
> downloading a
> large file which can't be resumed. i also think cable modem is the
> way
> forward. the phone line are getting a little crowded.

The only problem is
> that when everyone has cable that would be crowded and slowed down aswell. What
> we all really need is a dish or something like that your own fast connection
> which you don't share with others.

Good idea,

I america something like that is already up and running, in some areas ONLY you can access the internet with out a phone line, it uses radio signals (i think) , that would be pretty cool but them again, think about listening to the radio, internet tones 24/7 ;) .............

Its a bit like the wirless network that runs at school (in mine anyway)

I didn't lie, I just ommitted certain truths....
Tue 15/01/02 at 22:27
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
i have BT anytime and it cuts after 2 hours then you can re connect. Its just as fast logging on as the msn one. AOL is crap.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.