GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New staff instructions for choosing Gameaday"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/02/03 at 16:11
Regular
Title: Manual for choosing Gameaday

To: SR Staff

Author: Mr Snuggly

Version: 1.04

Brief
-----
As I will be taking on new tasks in the near future in order to wrangle a pay-rise from Tony, please find the attached instructions on choosing the daily Gameaday winners. This is a comprehensive document that will guide you through the process of choosing a winner during your shift.

Instructions for GAD Shift work
--------------------------------
09:00 – After the coffee has been made and a member of staff lower than yourself has been found to fetch and pour it, proceed to look through the last few entries in Fog Chat for conversations regarding Gameaday allocation.

09:30 – If no comments have been made about the length of time taken to choose winners, proceed to the next stage. If any complaints exist (particularly on a Monday) then leave this as long as possible, preferably until tomorrow, then choose a regular or Notable, no matter what they’ve written.

10:00 (or later) – Look at headings of last day’s posts to see if anyone has written anything interesting. If the heading says ‘console war’, ‘my console is better’, ‘hit you wiv my stick’ or any of the usual, then ignore the post. Don’t spend too long looking through these, but just enough time to convince the posters that you’ve checked all the posts for that day.

10:30 – Find staff member from earlier and wait for next cup of coffee. If the day is particularly stressful, send them out for doughnuts.

11:00 – With the posts you have already gathered, discount any which rubbish any games we sell or any dodgy hardware problems. From the remaining posts, check for immediate winners. These will be any posts which contain; Praise for SR, things that make you laugh out loud and cause Tony to look round the corner in a disgruntled manner, any post that appears to be by a newbie and has been copied from another site (which will automatically cause much posting and gnashing of teeth from regular posters and thereby keep up the post count).

12:00 – Lunch (if Tony is out, this will be until 14:00)

13:00 – Send lacky for coffee, evacuate bowels if needed.

13:30 – Now that several posts have been found that could be potential winners, check to see if the poster has written anything in the last 5 hours. If not, disregard their GAD winning post as they don’t deserve it unless they’re prepared to put in the hours.

14:00 – If nothing interesting has turned up then just choose something controversial by any Notable who has written the previous day, especially if it’s only one line long. Otherwise, roll a dice to decide which post will win GAD.

14:30 – If someone has mentioned that the winners list has not been updated, wait until the end of the day to post it, or remove the gameaday page and complain about temporary problems with the internet. Otherwise post the results and wait for the negative feedback.

15:00 – Pretend to continue looking for winners until 17:00 so that Tony does not suspect you of slacking off. Continue to get coffee for the rest of the day. If Tony is on holiday then leave early.

16:30 – Let the gameaday page go down again for 30 minutes to allow for suspense from users who have just logged in.

17:00 – Go home feeling smug for a job well done.
Wed 05/02/03 at 16:11
"possibly impossible"
Title: Manual for choosing Gameaday

To: SR Staff

Author: Mr Snuggly

Version: 1.04

Brief
-----
As I will be taking on new tasks in the near future in order to wrangle a pay-rise from Tony, please find the attached instructions on choosing the daily Gameaday winners. This is a comprehensive document that will guide you through the process of choosing a winner during your shift.

Instructions for GAD Shift work
--------------------------------
09:00 – After the coffee has been made and a member of staff lower than yourself has been found to fetch and pour it, proceed to look through the last few entries in Fog Chat for conversations regarding Gameaday allocation.

09:30 – If no comments have been made about the length of time taken to choose winners, proceed to the next stage. If any complaints exist (particularly on a Monday) then leave this as long as possible, preferably until tomorrow, then choose a regular or Notable, no matter what they’ve written.

10:00 (or later) – Look at headings of last day’s posts to see if anyone has written anything interesting. If the heading says ‘console war’, ‘my console is better’, ‘hit you wiv my stick’ or any of the usual, then ignore the post. Don’t spend too long looking through these, but just enough time to convince the posters that you’ve checked all the posts for that day.

10:30 – Find staff member from earlier and wait for next cup of coffee. If the day is particularly stressful, send them out for doughnuts.

11:00 – With the posts you have already gathered, discount any which rubbish any games we sell or any dodgy hardware problems. From the remaining posts, check for immediate winners. These will be any posts which contain; Praise for SR, things that make you laugh out loud and cause Tony to look round the corner in a disgruntled manner, any post that appears to be by a newbie and has been copied from another site (which will automatically cause much posting and gnashing of teeth from regular posters and thereby keep up the post count).

12:00 – Lunch (if Tony is out, this will be until 14:00)

13:00 – Send lacky for coffee, evacuate bowels if needed.

13:30 – Now that several posts have been found that could be potential winners, check to see if the poster has written anything in the last 5 hours. If not, disregard their GAD winning post as they don’t deserve it unless they’re prepared to put in the hours.

14:00 – If nothing interesting has turned up then just choose something controversial by any Notable who has written the previous day, especially if it’s only one line long. Otherwise, roll a dice to decide which post will win GAD.

14:30 – If someone has mentioned that the winners list has not been updated, wait until the end of the day to post it, or remove the gameaday page and complain about temporary problems with the internet. Otherwise post the results and wait for the negative feedback.

15:00 – Pretend to continue looking for winners until 17:00 so that Tony does not suspect you of slacking off. Continue to get coffee for the rest of the day. If Tony is on holiday then leave early.

16:30 – Let the gameaday page go down again for 30 minutes to allow for suspense from users who have just logged in.

17:00 – Go home feeling smug for a job well done.
Wed 05/02/03 at 17:11
Regular
New instructions for picking GAD winners?

I thought these were the old ones!!

*Sits looking at screen confused*

Good one though. Fo-a shu-a Fo-a shu-a (For sure, for any silly people who reply and don't understand me)
Wed 05/02/03 at 17:31
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
Wouldn't this be ironicalfishing if this won a GAD.

Likely methinks... And where's my breakfast?
Wed 05/02/03 at 21:02
"period drama"
Tony actually mailed me a new rule, via pigeon.

14:45 - put FFF's name in every avaliable GAD slot, because he's just a jolly nice fellow and has no money.

It's true, so he must have said it.
Genius, that man.
Wed 05/02/03 at 21:49
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
Ha, ha. Great stuff pb.
Thu 06/02/03 at 21:00
Regular
You forgot a bit

8:58 - Check to see if Meka posted

8:59 - If above is true, go home feeling smug for a job well done.
Thu 06/02/03 at 23:27
Regular
As its version 1.04 i expect that only works on certain days, it is the new 1.06 one that includes all days.
Fri 07/02/03 at 20:30
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> As its version 1.04 i expect that only works on certain days, it is
> the new 1.06 one that includes all days.

Erm?
Fri 07/02/03 at 20:37
Regular
"Bicycle"
Dringo wrote:

I swear it was 1.05... Hmm...
Sat 08/02/03 at 09:39
"possibly impossible"
Sylphetic wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
>
> I swear it was 1.05... Hmm...

No, 1.05 amends the doughnuts to iced doughnuts.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.