GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"About the Gamecube release"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 14/01/02 at 19:17
Regular
Where will all the greats be?
The games that will define a genre? That will have people and gaming magazines raving about for years to come?
Rogue leader, I know and possibly Pikmin will be fantastic. But the others: "Luigi's Mansion" "Fifa 2002". They're not particularly 'Groundbreaking-Earth-shattering games'.

Granted, I suppose it is a lot better than what the Playstation 2 had to offer on it's launch( But it's a Nintendo launch we are talking about here, we expect more from them), after all the PS2 launch was pretty drab and un-inspiring.
But we should have had a lot more from 'Nintendo' for the Gamecube!, I mean, look at the Nintendo 64 launch,-It had Mario 64, created by Nintendo, which is still looked upon as the best launch game ever and the best platformer to date. Now it was 'the' game to launch a console with, wasn't it!? a AAA title that went down as one of the Gaming greats.
But as for the Gamecube, the launch games would be possibly one of the things that are disappointing about the upcoming launch of the system.
Look at Microsoft's X-Box, it has a great AAA title being- Halo, where as Nintendo do not.
Don't get me wrong either, 'i will' be getting a Gamecube on launch day, with my pick of the best of the bunch of games, along with extras and essentials such as Memory Cards etc. But still i can't help but feel a 'little' disappointed where the games are concerned.
One of the ups the Gamecube seems to have is that it will be the best system to own, let alone the better looking of the 'other-two' and aleast the thing will fit somewhere in my bedroom, unlike the X-Box.
It will be a great System, but the full potential and interest from the public will not pick up until Nintendo release a Killer-app, or any other Development house for that matter(Which would need to be GC exclusive).
Mario, is a title that will get enormous attention and one that should have been a little harder worked upon to perfect it and make it a launch title!.
Christmas 2002 , rather than March will be a defining era for Nintendo, only then it seems that the Nintendo Spirit will be back with full swing.
But alas, the world isn't perfect and certainly in terms of Nintendo- they aren't either.
March 2002 I await with baited breath, like so many, i will be first in the queue.
But that 'slight' disappointment i think, will not fade away.
Thu 17/01/02 at 23:15
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Meh. I expected it to be lower.
Thu 17/01/02 at 21:44
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Turbonutter wrote:
> If you have something to say just say it. Don't just assume I realise I'm
> talking crap, otherwise I wouldn't have said it in the first place.

Assuming
> you do have something to say of course, but then you must do, otherwise you
> wouldn't imply I'm posting crap.

Oh, and for your information, I haven't
> looked at the top posters since at least the Summer. I simply don't care, as it
> should be.

Well just to tell you, you are 7th in the 30 dats list and 4th in the Top Posters ever list.

(I've not memorized it, I just looked 5 minutes ago and your name stuck in my head....)

Hmmm, queer that...
Thu 17/01/02 at 21:24
Regular
"I like cheese"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Shows how much you know:

1) You do *not* need a stand. I have my PS2 vertical
> without a stand right now. It's even safe on carpet.

2) The CDs do not fall
> out. It has a clever lip that stops this rather well.

3) The logo
> rotates.

4) It looks *really* cool vertical.

These are all totally true, by the way. My PS2 stands just fine vertically, as does Darkness'.
Thu 17/01/02 at 21:09
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Shows how much you know:

1) You do *not* need a stand. I have my PS2 vertical without a stand right now. It's even safe on carpet.

2) The CDs do not fall out. It has a clever lip that stops this rather well.

3) The logo rotates.

4) It looks *really* cool vertical.
Wed 16/01/02 at 20:51
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Turbonutter wrote:

I laugh, most heartilly at this comment. You have blatently not
> seen the GameCube, I'm telling you for a fact it's OK, but no great feat of
> design. The PS2 is lovely, sleek and uses the least (flooor) space of them
> all.

Sorry TBN... but PS2 only takes least floor space when vertical... which you need a stand for... and looks pretty pointless really, because then the CD loads vertically, and will probably fall out... and the logo is the wrong way... and you have to pay £X (dunno how much) for a stand.

Anyway, which is better looking is an aesthetic choice. I don't actually care what it looks like as long as it plays good games. Oh, and as long as it fots in my bedroom...
;-)
Wed 16/01/02 at 17:35
Regular
"699 days!"
Sméagol wrote:
> Where will all the greats be?
The games that will define a genre? That will
> have people and gaming magazines raving about for years to come?
Rogue leader,
> I know and possibly Pikmin will be fantastic. But the others: "Luigi's
> Mansion" "Fifa 2002". They're not particularly
> 'Groundbreaking-Earth-shattering games'.

I got a GameCube on import, and both Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion are brilliant games. Things like Rouge Leader and SSB:M don't look to bad either. I actually thought the launch range was quite impressive, unlike "only one good launch game" PS2(SSX) and XBox (Halo)
Tue 15/01/02 at 21:18
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I wrote a topic identical to this one about 3 weeks ago... but it had far better reasoning

hmmmmm...

Sonic
Tue 15/01/02 at 20:55
Regular
Not to comment on the post's particulars, i'd have to agree that most of the launch titles look fairly standard, in terms of innovation. Apart from pikmin, and (hopefully) to an extent star fox adventures and monkey ball, nothing looks particularly groundbreaking in any other way than looks.

Of course, there are (almost by definition) very few games that break new ground, it's just that nintendo do usually show something more at launch than they have this time.
Tue 15/01/02 at 20:47
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
If you have something to say just say it. Don't just assume I realise I'm talking crap, otherwise I wouldn't have said it in the first place.

Assuming you do have something to say of course, but then you must do, otherwise you wouldn't imply I'm posting crap.

Oh, and for your information, I haven't looked at the top posters since at least the Summer. I simply don't care, as it should be.
Tue 15/01/02 at 19:24
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Turbonutter, you speak absolute....in fact ill not even say.
Good boost to your word count that was.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.