GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"About the Gamecube release"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 14/01/02 at 19:17
Regular
Where will all the greats be?
The games that will define a genre? That will have people and gaming magazines raving about for years to come?
Rogue leader, I know and possibly Pikmin will be fantastic. But the others: "Luigi's Mansion" "Fifa 2002". They're not particularly 'Groundbreaking-Earth-shattering games'.

Granted, I suppose it is a lot better than what the Playstation 2 had to offer on it's launch( But it's a Nintendo launch we are talking about here, we expect more from them), after all the PS2 launch was pretty drab and un-inspiring.
But we should have had a lot more from 'Nintendo' for the Gamecube!, I mean, look at the Nintendo 64 launch,-It had Mario 64, created by Nintendo, which is still looked upon as the best launch game ever and the best platformer to date. Now it was 'the' game to launch a console with, wasn't it!? a AAA title that went down as one of the Gaming greats.
But as for the Gamecube, the launch games would be possibly one of the things that are disappointing about the upcoming launch of the system.
Look at Microsoft's X-Box, it has a great AAA title being- Halo, where as Nintendo do not.
Don't get me wrong either, 'i will' be getting a Gamecube on launch day, with my pick of the best of the bunch of games, along with extras and essentials such as Memory Cards etc. But still i can't help but feel a 'little' disappointed where the games are concerned.
One of the ups the Gamecube seems to have is that it will be the best system to own, let alone the better looking of the 'other-two' and aleast the thing will fit somewhere in my bedroom, unlike the X-Box.
It will be a great System, but the full potential and interest from the public will not pick up until Nintendo release a Killer-app, or any other Development house for that matter(Which would need to be GC exclusive).
Mario, is a title that will get enormous attention and one that should have been a little harder worked upon to perfect it and make it a launch title!.
Christmas 2002 , rather than March will be a defining era for Nintendo, only then it seems that the Nintendo Spirit will be back with full swing.
But alas, the world isn't perfect and certainly in terms of Nintendo- they aren't either.
March 2002 I await with baited breath, like so many, i will be first in the queue.
But that 'slight' disappointment i think, will not fade away.
Mon 14/01/02 at 19:17
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Where will all the greats be?
The games that will define a genre? That will have people and gaming magazines raving about for years to come?
Rogue leader, I know and possibly Pikmin will be fantastic. But the others: "Luigi's Mansion" "Fifa 2002". They're not particularly 'Groundbreaking-Earth-shattering games'.

Granted, I suppose it is a lot better than what the Playstation 2 had to offer on it's launch( But it's a Nintendo launch we are talking about here, we expect more from them), after all the PS2 launch was pretty drab and un-inspiring.
But we should have had a lot more from 'Nintendo' for the Gamecube!, I mean, look at the Nintendo 64 launch,-It had Mario 64, created by Nintendo, which is still looked upon as the best launch game ever and the best platformer to date. Now it was 'the' game to launch a console with, wasn't it!? a AAA title that went down as one of the Gaming greats.
But as for the Gamecube, the launch games would be possibly one of the things that are disappointing about the upcoming launch of the system.
Look at Microsoft's X-Box, it has a great AAA title being- Halo, where as Nintendo do not.
Don't get me wrong either, 'i will' be getting a Gamecube on launch day, with my pick of the best of the bunch of games, along with extras and essentials such as Memory Cards etc. But still i can't help but feel a 'little' disappointed where the games are concerned.
One of the ups the Gamecube seems to have is that it will be the best system to own, let alone the better looking of the 'other-two' and aleast the thing will fit somewhere in my bedroom, unlike the X-Box.
It will be a great System, but the full potential and interest from the public will not pick up until Nintendo release a Killer-app, or any other Development house for that matter(Which would need to be GC exclusive).
Mario, is a title that will get enormous attention and one that should have been a little harder worked upon to perfect it and make it a launch title!.
Christmas 2002 , rather than March will be a defining era for Nintendo, only then it seems that the Nintendo Spirit will be back with full swing.
But alas, the world isn't perfect and certainly in terms of Nintendo- they aren't either.
March 2002 I await with baited breath, like so many, i will be first in the queue.
But that 'slight' disappointment i think, will not fade away.
Mon 14/01/02 at 19:44
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Oh.

My God.

This post oozes bias. I mean, fair play, I've outputted some drivvel in my time but this just takes the biscuit. It doesn't even warrant ripping apart piece by piece.
Mon 14/01/02 at 20:08
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Sony Bias?
Mon 14/01/02 at 20:19
Regular
He only mentioned the PS2 launch briefly, his main point was about the lack of a quality title for the GC launch. Which i'd agree on...
Mon 14/01/02 at 20:34
Regular
What about Rogue Leader.
Halo only beats that in the multiplayer department.

Besides, the only complaint against it is that it's too similar to the original Rogue Squadron in terms of gameplay.

So the only people who might feel disappointed by it, are the hardcore Ninty's who bought the game the first time round and are getting the Gamecube anyway.
It'll pull casuals like anything, especially with that Starwars liscence.
Mon 14/01/02 at 20:38
Regular
"Back For Good"
The PS2 had 2 decent launch titles, Timesplitters and SSX.
Mon 14/01/02 at 20:46
Regular
In remark to Turbonutter.

We expect better from Nintendo because they've been around longer.
Mon 14/01/02 at 20:48
Regular
[Is that Drew Barrymore? I think it is. She's going around with The Riddler, and Bruce Wayne and Nicole are at his speech for a new version of his tv thingy, I think.]
Mon 14/01/02 at 21:59
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
ResÆvilfan wrote:
> The PS2 had 2 decent launch titles, Timesplitters and SSX.

SSX yes, but Timesplitters?
Was never in the same league as Mario 64 or Super Mario World as 'launch' titles though.
Tue 15/01/02 at 19:11
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Sméagol wrote:
> Where will all the greats be?
The games that will define a genre? That will
> have people and gaming magazines raving about for years to come?
Rogue leader,
> I know and possibly Pikmin will be fantastic. But the others: "Luigi's
> Mansion" "Fifa 2002". They're not particularly
> 'Groundbreaking-Earth-shattering games'.

Granted, I suppose it is a lot
> better than what the Playstation 2 had to offer on it's launch( But it's a
> Nintendo launch we are talking about here, we expect more from them), after all
> the PS2 launch was pretty drab and un-inspiring.
But we should have had a lot
> more from 'Nintendo' for the Gamecube!

Uninspiring? It kept me hooked. SSX, TimeSplitters, then Smuggler's Run and DOA2?

> I mean, look at the Nintendo 64
> launch,-It had Mario 64, created by Nintendo, which is still looked upon as the
> best launch game ever and the best platformer to date. Now it was 'the' game to
> launch a console with, wasn't it!? a AAA title that went down as one of the
> Gaming greats.
But as for the Gamecube, the launch games would be possibly one
> of the things that are disappointing about the upcoming launch of the system.
>
Look at Microsoft's X-Box, it has a great AAA title being- Halo, where as
> Nintendo do not.
Don't get me wrong either, 'i will' be getting a Gamecube on
> launch day, with my pick of the best of the bunch of games, along with extras
> and essentials such as Memory Cards etc. But still i can't help but feel a
> 'little' disappointed where the games are concerned.
One of the ups the
> Gamecube seems to have is that it will be the best system to own,

Best system to own? Based on WHAT? Drap launch games and possibly limited prospects by your own admission? "Oh yeah, the GameCube WILL BE THE BEST, despite most signs showing otherwise".

let alone the
> better looking of the 'other-two'

I laugh, most heartilly at this comment. You have blatently not seen the GameCube, I'm telling you for a fact it's OK, but no great feat of design. The PS2 is lovely, sleek and uses the least (flooor) space of them all.

and aleast the thing will fit somewhere in my
> bedroom, unlike the X-Box.
It will be a great System, but the full potential
> and interest from the public will not pick up until Nintendo release a
> Killer-app, or any other Development house for that matter(Which would need to
> be GC exclusive).
Mario, is a title that will get enormous attention and one
> that should have been a little harder worked upon to perfect it and make it a
> launch title!.
Christmas 2002 , rather than March will be a defining era for
> Nintendo, only then it seems that the Nintendo Spirit will be back with full
> swing.
But alas, the world isn't perfect and certainly in terms of Nintendo-
> they aren't either.
March 2002 I await with baited breath, like so many, i will
> be first in the queue.
But that 'slight' disappointment i think, will not fade
> away.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.