GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why I Hate Old-Skool"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/02/03 at 20:12
Regular
Collins' Definition of Old-Skool(school) : A group of people favouring traditional ideas or conservative practises.

Pong. Missile Command. Breakout. Utter classics, says atari (dastardly infogrames) and bundles them together for forty quid. Escusesme says I.

I can say without fear of wrongness, that Old-skool games are shallow. The fact that titles (including music) gets sold on the basis that it contains "old-skool" material, is almost a crime.

I, your humble torticollis, shall explain for your literary pleasure why a game which boasts that it contains old-skool material should be shot.

Let me an example give you: Goldeneye multi player, heralded as best ever at the time, and friends of mine have often challenged me to a game. Let me tell you, I would only play this over a modern "equally marked" shooter if a gun was held up to my head, and only then if I could play as my firm breasted love, Xenia.

To put it on the table(?), Anything can be a classic until it's bettered and people who Refuse to acknowledge this and people who still play pong are fools. Hey, it's chic, but in terms of actual games, it's been better. People who want good "simple arcade stylee" should play timesplitters2 in easy mode. For people who want depth, play good modern games on their real settings.

Modern games can offer more depth as well as fun, and new technical abilities in video game consoles bring about more possibilities (Project Ego anyone?).

I suppose that it's fair enough to play Yoshi's Island on the snes, because Yoshi's Story was worse, because it tried to imitate YI and failed.

Back to the chic thing: Old skool is cool, almost like va-va voom to a lesser extent, and people like new atari wh*re this idea.

But old games can be fun. Not old skool, just older games as long as their not just advertised to be "AN OLDER GAME!!!1!!". For example, the old minigames in ts2 are fun for multiplayer, but it is not advertised as "Buy ts2, it has old games!!!1!".

Oldskool is a marketing technique, not a genre of games. Try not to get pulled into the mainstream fashion. Play something which you enjoy.

Farewell.

Torticollis
Wed 05/02/03 at 20:34
Regular
"QPR 1974"
I thought it was going to be you moaning about your primary school or something
Wed 05/02/03 at 20:32
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
I suppose it's just flame day for me.
Wed 05/02/03 at 20:17
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
I know, wrong password. Reading the post would be nice.
Wed 05/02/03 at 20:15
Regular
"Thats Me!!!"
Why I Hate ALL Skool
Wed 05/02/03 at 20:13
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
You just posted this under Sacrosanct!

Christ...
Wed 05/02/03 at 20:12
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
Collins' Definition of Old-Skool(school) : A group of people favouring traditional ideas or conservative practises.

Pong. Missile Command. Breakout. Utter classics, says atari (dastardly infogrames) and bundles them together for forty quid. Escusesme says I.

I can say without fear of wrongness, that Old-skool games are shallow. The fact that titles (including music) gets sold on the basis that it contains "old-skool" material, is almost a crime.

I, your humble torticollis, shall explain for your literary pleasure why a game which boasts that it contains old-skool material should be shot.

Let me an example give you: Goldeneye multi player, heralded as best ever at the time, and friends of mine have often challenged me to a game. Let me tell you, I would only play this over a modern "equally marked" shooter if a gun was held up to my head, and only then if I could play as my firm breasted love, Xenia.

To put it on the table(?), Anything can be a classic until it's bettered and people who Refuse to acknowledge this and people who still play pong are fools. Hey, it's chic, but in terms of actual games, it's been better. People who want good "simple arcade stylee" should play timesplitters2 in easy mode. For people who want depth, play good modern games on their real settings.

Modern games can offer more depth as well as fun, and new technical abilities in video game consoles bring about more possibilities (Project Ego anyone?).

I suppose that it's fair enough to play Yoshi's Island on the snes, because Yoshi's Story was worse, because it tried to imitate YI and failed.

Back to the chic thing: Old skool is cool, almost like va-va voom to a lesser extent, and people like new atari wh*re this idea.

But old games can be fun. Not old skool, just older games as long as their not just advertised to be "AN OLDER GAME!!!1!!". For example, the old minigames in ts2 are fun for multiplayer, but it is not advertised as "Buy ts2, it has old games!!!1!".

Oldskool is a marketing technique, not a genre of games. Try not to get pulled into the mainstream fashion. Play something which you enjoy.

Farewell.

Torticollis

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.