GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeloader Problems"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/02/03 at 09:14
Regular
Those of you who are picking this up, be wary.

Borrowed from Edge Forums.

Ok I got my Freeloader today and am extremely disappointed that it doesn't work like Datel says it will. I bought 5 import games and they all have various issues with them. I'm using the official RGB Scart lead for the NGC, and my TV can display 60hz.

Firstly there are 3 fairly similiar boot methods to boot up the Freeloader.
The first method invloves a direct boot for the Freeloader from power on of the Gamecube, taking the disc out on prompt when it loads, and inserting the import game.

Second method involves inserting the Freeloader disc after you switch the GC on, waiting for it to read it, then going into the Gameplay option in the GC menu and switching discs from there.

Third method involves booting the Freeloader like normal, when it boots up, you press Z on the controller to select the region of the disc you want to play (you can select from three flags (USA, Japanese and Austrailia). This method seems to be the most successful for me. Depending on which one I chose, I had varying degrees of success. Here are my results.

Resident Evil Zero (USA) -
This game has the biggest problem making it impossible to play currently. It will only run using the third boot method. When this game boots up after using the Freeloader, it is extremely slow and choppy, sound is messed up making it totally unplayable.

Metroid Prime (USA)
This game has various issues but is now perfectly playable for me. If I boot this game using boot methods 1 or 2 it will run, but the titles screen is completely blank with just the text and a black background. If you continue and start the game, it will be very choppy when you move Samus around. The screen moves very jerkily. Even though its playable like this, its not really recommended. Its like its trying to play it in 50hz, when the game wasnt designed to,be played like this. hence the strange choppiness.
Now when I first used boot method 3 on it, the game would load up, even having the full titles screen, but there would be one BIG problem. The colours of the game would be messed up completely, i.e. yellow is blue etc. However, (and this has completely baffled me) when I run the game using method 3 now, it runs perfectly, at 60hz with the right colours. I dont know why its suddenly started working with method 3. This just makes things more confusing.

Skies of Arcadia Legends (USA)
Game runs fine using method 3. Have yet to try the other two methods.

Super Monkey Ball 2
Only runs using method 3. Will not load at all using the other two methods. Also game crashed once when I was playing it.

Animal Crossing
Again, only works using method 3.
So it seems there are lots of problems with this Freeloader. Other people might have different experiences with these same games, but I am disappointed by it as I spent approx £150 on the import games, and I can't even play one of them. The problems also seem to be rather random which makes things even worse. Didn't Datel even test this properly? It's not like the games I tried are obscure and hard to find.
Sat 08/02/03 at 22:28
Regular
Slate it all you want, but it's the only way you'll play the likes of Animal Crossing without buying a whole new import Gamecube!

Besides, it's not like anyone else has managed to do it.

Datel may be having their problems, but they're all we have.
Sat 08/02/03 at 21:18
Regular
½pint wrote:
> Tiltawhirl wrote:
> You can run any gamecube game on your PAL console from anywhere in
> the
> world and it costs £20.
>
> It is cheap crap. Half the time they don't load, the disc switching
> is REALLY annoying,

You mean you thought you'd be able to leave the freeloader in there?

the case it comes in is a normal DVD case so the
> disc doesn't actually fit,

The centre hole is exactly the same size as a normal CD/DVD - so it fits. The fact that the circular section where you place the disc is actually bigger only proves Nintendo's reluctance to help in any way (well they don't like Datel after they lost a court case against them) and so it is cheaper to use normal DVD cases instead of getting custom made ones.

and it has cheap tacky instructions.

What do you expect, a 500 page manual explaining the three booting methods?

The
> startup screen is really ugly, and already they've released a new
> version because it doesn't work properly.
>

They're constantly updating it so it works with as many games as possible - would you rather they left it at a version which only works with the currently tested games?

> Cheap crap, by my book.

Well take it back to the retailer then.
Sat 08/02/03 at 20:18
Regular
"¬_¬"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> You can run any gamecube game on your PAL console from anywhere in the
> world and it costs £20.

It is cheap crap. Half the time they don't load, the disc switching is REALLY annoying, the case it comes in is a normal DVD case so the disc doesn't actually fit, and it has cheap tacky instructions. The startup screen is really ugly, and already they've released a new version because it doesn't work properly.

Cheap crap, by my book.
Sat 08/02/03 at 20:04
Regular
watrs ya msn Tiltawhirl? :P
Sat 08/02/03 at 19:57
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Looks like Tilta has given up our little arhument and has started on other people. Oh well...
Sat 08/02/03 at 19:18
Regular
"the burning sky"
Tilta get on MSN so i can chat w/ you!
Sat 08/02/03 at 19:03
Regular
ĀLĀŠ†ĀĪR wrote:
Is anyone else importing
> Winning Eleven 6 or aren't people that bothered about it?

I'll definetly be getting it once I have the cash. I've got AC + Freeloader and 2 other PAL games winging their way to me at the moment. I also intend on ordering Dead to Rights and maybe Bloodrayne on import before the week is out, so me thinks Pro Evo will have to wait.

I'm gonna be rather busy me thinks. I've still got a hell of a lot of games waiting to be completed on my shelves.

Eternal Darkness session tonight I'm thinking.
Sat 08/02/03 at 19:00
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
He is correcto.
Sat 08/02/03 at 18:59
Regular
½pint wrote:
> Well, none of my games will boot with the normal method; though some
> will boot with sound but no picture. Methods 2 and 3 both work for
> all my games (Zelda JP, Animal Crossing, Starfox, Sunshine) and I'm
> pretty pleased, but Freeloader certainly does seem like cheap crap.
> To put it bluntly.

You can run any gamecube game on your PAL console from anywhere in the world and it costs £20.

Yet you still call it cheap crap?

Jeez you people are never happy.
Sat 08/02/03 at 17:47
Regular
I am only getting Freeloader to play Winning Eleven 6 and possibly Animal Crossing and according to the people I have talked to so far both games run fine using the Freeloader CD. Method 3 was advised for Winning Eleven 6(thanks Tiltawhirl) and Method 2 for Animal Crossing. Due to the fact that I don't think Winning Eleven 6 will ever reach the UK it is worth getting the Freeloader alone to play what I would say is the greatest sports game ever created. Is anyone else importing Winning Eleven 6 or aren't people that bothered about it?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.