GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DVD poblems"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 13/01/02 at 22:47
Regular
Please excuse me if this is an old story. I'm having problems with the DVD player on my PS2. I've only played two DVDs ever & they both have got just past halfway & then freeze & never move again. Games play fine. The screen shows a message that it can't read the disk. I've heard a similar problem with reading blue disks & CD's but DVD's were OK. Has anyone got any help? Thanks
Sun 13/01/02 at 22:47
Please excuse me if this is an old story. I'm having problems with the DVD player on my PS2. I've only played two DVDs ever & they both have got just past halfway & then freeze & never move again. Games play fine. The screen shows a message that it can't read the disk. I've heard a similar problem with reading blue disks & CD's but DVD's were OK. Has anyone got any help? Thanks
Sun 13/01/02 at 22:50
Regular
"Conversation Killer"
i also have a problem

when i play dvd's on the ps2, the colour is green
nothing else but green

how do u fix this.
Apparently its to do with the cables.
Sun 13/01/02 at 23:36
Regular
The green Screen is when you play it through a RGB scart. To get rid of the green screen use the cable that came with your PS2.
Mon 14/01/02 at 01:43
Regular
"maximum homerdrive"
try switching it from composit to rgb in the settings on your ps2, mine went red with my NTSC converter but is ok once i put it on RGB
Mon 14/01/02 at 09:21
Regular
"size does matter"
I had a similar problem with the first couple of dvds I ever played on my ps2. Thought they were scratched or dirty. After these first ones, everything has been fine, all dvds, even the ones clearly scratched, play well.

Try some more dvds, maybe the thing just needs to be a little oiled up for playing dvds...
Mon 14/01/02 at 18:16
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
If you ever have any problems, Sony customer services is your best bet. They will advice you what to do, or send you a new PS2 (if your PS2 is under a year old).

The number is in the back of any game manual.
Mon 14/01/02 at 18:44
Regular
The PS2 DVD player is quite simply a bit crap........

I had this very problem with Blade and Armageddon, they got half way through, and when it was time to change over the layer, they froze.

Right, first thing to do is wipe the DVd is warm soapy water, not hot, not cold just adequate, that will clean them a little.

Then try them again, but what you really need to do is get the PS2 DVD player update.

You can only do this by buying the official DVD remote control and using the update disc which comes with it. It takes up 2Mb on your memory card, but it does solve the many problems the PS2 has.

P.S. If you don't want the DVD remote, try finding a friend who already has it and borrow the disc from them.
Mon 14/01/02 at 18:50
Regular
"Melliflous Wanderer"
Is the official remote likely to solve an incompatibility issue with a launch machine and a DVD?
Mon 14/01/02 at 18:52
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Just a quick question for anyone who KNOWS the answer:

I'm currently using the bog-standard RCA lead that came with my PS2. I'm considering buying an S-Video lead as I've heard it produces a better, sharper picture. Will I have any problems playing DVDs through my PS2?

I also have an RGB connection on my TV, but I'm saving that for my Gamecube come March!
Mon 14/01/02 at 18:55
TomUK wrote:
> If you ever have any problems, Sony customer services is your best bet. They
> will advice you what to do, or send you a new PS2 (if your PS2 is under a year
> old).

You only get a new one if it is a month old, after that you get what they call "reconditioned" - one someone had that was faulty and is now fixed.

Getting the DVD player upgrade is a waste of time unless you have the handset as all it does is add new features like time remaining e.t.c In the OPS2 mag someone asked if they could get the disc upgrade seperately, to which Sony replied there was no point as the upgrade only adds new features, not upgraded software. I've had no problems with the DVD player itself, apart from very iffy NTSC picture for Tenth Kingdom and Sex In The City, and I've played a fare few discs. Ring Sony, or return the discs to where you bought them as there are very few mainstream films that the PS2 has problems with, I've played Armageddon and Blade Runner just fine.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.