GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My PC... What do you all think?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 08/02/03 at 09:04
Regular
I have been looking to build my own PC for a while now, and only last week I set the funds aside (after discovering I can use a savings account) and that my Dad will go halves with me. I emailed around some of the shops in my local area to get a few quotes and after a few days I assembled (well in my head) exactly what I wanted.

The following is the spec of my PC (so far):

Descriptions:
1 off, BO03 ATX MIDI TOWER CASE 300W ATHLON/P4 PSU
1 off, 1.44MB 3.5" FLOPPY DRIVE OEM (mitsumi)
1 off, GA-7ZXE Gigabyte Socket A Motherboard 3 Dimms 1000-2400XP (gigabyte)
1 off, AMD Athlon2200XP+ Socket A OEM (AMD)
1 off, AK785SE Akasa Athlon/Duron Cooler Up TO 2200XP (Akasa)
1 off, 48X12X48 CDRW ARTEC RE-WRITER RETAIL BOXED (Artec)
1 off, 20GB 5400RPM SEAGATE HARD DRIVE 9W1021-301 (Seagate)
2 off, 512MB PC133 BRANDED KINGSTON
1 off, 56K V92 MODEM INTEL CHIP SET RETAIL BOXED (Intel).

Sub Total £409.20
VAT £71.61
Total £480.81

+GE-FORCE 4 4200 TI4200 128MBDDR 8X AGP SP72288X £120.00 (Sparkle)

I think that is a remakable system? What are everyones thoughts. Will it run the latest games and the basics like I want it to? Is the card a decent price and is it any good?

Just look at that memory though! 1024mb DDR Dimm SD! And all that for just £530! I assume I can build it in a day of solid work and then config all the BIOS and op system in a few days.

I ordered my anti static equipment and am now just waiting till my Dad comes back from Wales (next Saturday :( ) with the magic plastic!
Sat 08/02/03 at 16:58
Regular
"Nobody Home"
Woops! I am still AMD, I mistypes had my mind on another PC...

I am using XP. Thats can take that amount of ram... i think...
Sat 08/02/03 at 16:43
OakeyDokey wrote:

>
> Your operating system should also be taken into account as up to ME
> you can only use a maximum of 512 so unless your using an operating
> system higher than this 1024 is overkill.
>
> GL with the build.

Ooops this was a reference to your ram
Sat 08/02/03 at 16:37
Your having a little trouble I see.

some notes-

Memory ram speed is essential especially for higher end bus speeds of mobos

You've changed from an athlon xp chip to a pentium this means you cant use socket a anymore and you need a different mobo

Graphics cards are fairly powerful things so dont restrict them by having components that dont make full use of the card (a bit like having a mini engine in a farrari)

Your operating system should also be taken into account as up to ME you can only use a maximum of 512 so unless your using an operating system higher than this 1024 is overkill.

GL with the build.
Sat 08/02/03 at 16:24
Regular
"Nobody Home"
The ram everyone is saying it aint DDR, thats right. The guy that I emailed didn't say it was or wasn't, I just asked for it. I just confirmed it is SD. But whats the problem with that?

1024mb SD Ram, thats gotta be anyway good rite? What difference does the Ram speedmake anyway? (This is my first comp I building [me=n00b]).

The graphics card is two version up, four times the mem, and generally better than the card I have now, and this card I have at the mo can play almost any game...... usually... So that card is perfect for me.

The motherboard aint old, its quite new, says the shop assistant anyways... Besides I can always upgrade it at a later date. Just rest all the bios... and everything else, lol!

I dropped to a Pentium 2000+mhz cos they dont keep 2200 in stock. 200mhz sacrifice but it means I can get it replaced instantly if it gets baggered. Also saves me 40 squids!
Sat 08/02/03 at 16:14
Regular
"Touched!"
OakeyDokey wrote:
> Yes hence that spec of card although the fx card or newer ati's
> obviously get a major boost but for purposes of the spec of his
> machine dont touch them with a barge pole. Either that or rethink
> your spec(and therefore price) but its madness to get a 8x agp card
> with a maximum 4x agp mobo

I wouldn't say its madeness because most cards now are AGP 8x and having that means if he ever gets a new board his card will use its full potential using AGP 8x.
Sat 08/02/03 at 16:09
Yes hence that spec of card although the fx card or newer ati's obviously get a major boost but for purposes of the spec of his machine dont touch them with a barge pole. Either that or rethink your spec(and therefore price) but its madness to get a 8x agp card with a maximum 4x agp mobo
Sat 08/02/03 at 16:06
Regular
"Touched!"
OakeyDokey wrote:
> Oh and 8x agp doesnt do anything it just ensures maximum bandwidth but
> really speaking is worthless on that spec of card (and the fact your
> mobo doesnt support it)
>
> heres your mobo full spec
>
> http://www.giga-byte.com/products/7zxe.htm

AGP 8x doesn't do anything yet, but in the future it will, i've got an ATI Radeon 9700 running 8x, just a feature you may as well have for future use.
Sat 08/02/03 at 15:53
Oh and 8x agp doesnt do anything it just ensures maximum bandwidth but really speaking is worthless on that spec of card (and the fact your mobo doesnt support it)

heres your mobo full spec

http://www.giga-byte.com/products/7zxe.htm
Sat 08/02/03 at 15:50
I think your getting confused about the clock speed of your RAM its only 133 mhz thats like major slow (its not even ddr 184 pin)
Sat 08/02/03 at 15:44
Regular
"Touched!"
That seems a fairly good setup, if i were u i'd have gone for a bigger hard drive which was 7200rpm and DDR RAM, PC 133 is slow compared to DDR, that motherboard is old as well, i used to have that board it only supports SD and not DDR, i got a new board with DDR/AGP8x and USB 2.0!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.