GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How to give up games for lent!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/02/03 at 17:04
Regular
Lent is coming. A time where Jesus was said to have given up chocolate for forty days. So, thanks to the Christian faith (who believe that a big giant man made everything) we all feel pressured into giving something up for those forty days. Hollywood superhunk Josh Hartnett managed to go Forty Days and Forty Nights without sex (or maybe he didn't, I haven't watched the film) and we can't be outdone by HIM now, can we? So, what to do, what to do...go without masturbation? Now, let's not go TOO far. How about UKchatforums? No way, then you wouldn't be able to read all my topics. How about giving up gaming for Lent? Now that's an idea. But how will you cope without your electronicially enhanced life? Always here to help, I've compiled a short list which should help you if you feel the grip of temptation around your thin scrawny necks.

1 - THE SIMS
The Sims is phenomenally popular amongst girls and losers, and seeing as two of the most well loved people on this forum are Mystique and AJ, I feel that it's rather apt to tackle this one first...and the recent release on the PS2 and announcement for other console versions has meant that the dead horse will continue to be flogged for about another year. Anyway, how will you live without this great game? First of all you'll need some card, and a black marker. Cut out thought bubbled from the card, and scribble some pictures on - the usual stuff like food, sleep, shower and what have you. Then, whenever you need or want something, just hold the appropriate bubble over your head and gesticulate wildly towards a parent, friend or pet. For that extra authentic feeling of playing The Sims when you're in a bad mood, invite the neighbours round before building a moat around your house so they can't escape, and starting a fire in the kitchen which will eventually kill you all.

2 - HALO
Oh, the joy of Combat Evolved. I'm sure you'll all miss this game, so I have a few tips. For those of you that enjoy a stealthier route, grab an umbrella and sneak up behind random pedestrians. Use the umbrella as a melee weapon, cracking it over his or her skull. Then, nick their ammo (or 'wallet' as it's known outside of FPSs) and move on to the next target. Alternatively, for plasma grenade laughs get some sherbert dips and throw them in a can of coke. Shake it, cover it with double sided tape and chuck it at someone. Watch as it sticks to their clothes and they scream for mercy, before being blown 40ft up in the air.

3 - THE GETAWAY
Slightly easier, this one. First you need to get the train down to Central London. Once there, as soon as you leave the station you must soil yourself. This is the only way to achieve the full 'walking through oil' effect so brilliantly displayed by masters Hammond and Carter. Then nick a car and drive around a bit. When the cops catch up with you, under no circumstances must you give up. When your car is wrecked, hide behind a crate. If you get shot, just stand there and pant - you will recover. However, if a policeman on foot comes within six feet of you, you HAVE to give yourself up. Don't ask why, just do.

4 - RATCHET AND CLANK
If you're missing your fix of furry fun then there's some advice you should take. Firstly, get a Furby and skin it. Tape the fur to your own body and use the naked robot skeleton as your Clank. Stick it in a backpack and you're almost done. Find a spanner, and if anyone looks at you funny take them out with either a well aimed throw, or an overhead strike of your metal tool of death. For extra credit, refuse to use credit cards or pounds sterling - when prompted for payment, use nuts and bolts. If the clerk won't accept them, smack him/her with your spanner.

5 - METROID PRIME
Very difficult. Because this game was so hyped, and is so original, recreating the thrill is tricky...but I'm more than a match. First step is to get some cling film and scribble some technical jargon on it, such as ".jpeg" and "firewall". Then cover your face with it (leaving airholes to breathe through, obviously) to simulate the helmet-vision. Then, get one of those Nerf guns and stick it up your sleeve, pushing your arm down your shirt. This will make you feel like you have a gun for an arm. Then, for the rolling sections, simply roll up into a ball and let gravity, or a willing helper, do the hard work for you.

6 - GRAND THEFT AUTO
If you want to be a clever cloggs then you can run around killing people and stealing cars...and if you get arrested just pay a few dollars and you're returned to normal society, minus your weapons. However, the only true way to replicate that GTA vibe is to find an 80s compilation CD and play it on your headphones. Then, find a motorbike and ride it into the nearest shopping centre. Find the escalators and speed up them, effectively using the moving stairs as a ramp, and feel the wind rush through your face and bullets pierce your flesh as you land with an Insane Stunt Bonus and severe health decrease.

That should do you lot. Follow my handy tips and ignoring your joypads should be a cinch. You're all welcome, by the way, so don't bother thanking me. If you feel like replying to praise my brilliance, wit, the relevance of this post or its shocking originality, I'll be glad to read it.

Thanks for reading.

-El
Tue 11/02/03 at 18:01
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
El Blokey wrote:
> In fact, whenever you need to know ANYTHING, ask google. It's like the
> oracle of the net or something.

Jeeves won't be happy

:)
Tue 11/02/03 at 17:42
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Don't learn French. I'm a German and Russian man.
Tue 11/02/03 at 17:41
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
I've read it now El, happy?
Myes, very good and originalé.
Myes.
Trés Bien and the likes.
Now I'm just showing off my é.
Byé.
*runs*
Tue 11/02/03 at 17:37
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
I think it's tommorow. It's very soon, either way. Try google.

In fact, whenever you need to know ANYTHING, ask google. It's like the oracle of the net or something.

For example..."If I hadn't have said that, would the plant still have fallen over?" CATCH THE REFERENCE, PEOPLE!
Tue 11/02/03 at 17:27
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
"Brilliance"? "Wit"?

Don't make me laugh. Ooops! Too late!

Just kidding, good post. I always seem to forget when lent is (forgive me), someone please remind me.
Tue 11/02/03 at 17:03
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
She didn't say no.
Tue 11/02/03 at 17:03
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Quit making up conversations. I didn't ask you to post in here, and that girl COULDN'T have let you, she was GAGGED.
Tue 11/02/03 at 17:02
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
This should win a GAD.

*Was that right Alex?
Tue 11/02/03 at 16:59
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
*cough*
Mon 10/02/03 at 18:51
Regular
El Blokey wrote:

> 5 - METROID PRIME
> Very difficult. Because this game was so hyped, and is so original,
> recreating the thrill is tricky...but I'm more than a match. First
> step is to get some cling film and scribble some technical jargon on
> it, such as ".jpeg" and "firewall". Then cover
> your face with it (leaving airholes to breathe through, obviously) to
> simulate the helmet-vision. Then, get one of those Nerf guns and stick
> it up your sleeve, pushing your arm down your shirt. This will make
> you feel like you have a gun for an arm. Then, for the rolling
> sections, simply roll up into a ball and let gravity, or a willing
> helper, do the hard work for you.

First of all, that's a rubbish method, you need to defeat your resident Goldfish then claim the fishbowl as a prize (Helmet) then stick it over your head, the clingfilm can be used as your first suit, before you upgrade to this "Fishion" suit. Duh. ANd the goldfish can be the first boss. WOO! Morphball = one of those big balls that you get strapped into then fall down. WOO. The rest, is good, but a hoover pipe works well as your first weapon, turned on "blow" mode if need be.

Still, loved the entire post, especially the Getaway bit. Pure, excellence.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.