GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Making my PC sprint."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 11/01/02 at 20:47
Regular
Hello I have a PC and have not got a clue. I want to make my computer faster, so I am contemplating getting some more RAM.

I have 64 RAM at the moment but it doesnt let me play some games like Operation Flashpoint.

Will adding more RAM make my computer faster?

Will adding Ram let me play these games?

Can You add RAM to any computer? and is it easy to do?

Go on be proud of yourself help those less fortunate than yourself. You will be doing me a big favour, I need youre help.
Sun 13/01/02 at 19:34
Turbonutter wrote:
> Get PC100 SDRAM DIMMs then.

K will do - Cheers for the help :)
Sun 13/01/02 at 16:50
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Get PC100 SDRAM DIMMs then.
Sun 13/01/02 at 15:11
Turbonutter wrote:
> Well, I'd recommend 128mb minimum. What's the CPU? I'd make a good bet it's
> accept PC133s though.

Pentium 3 - 800 mhz
Sat 12/01/02 at 20:49
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
I've been able to get pretty good deals on memory (even the old fast page mode 72 pin SIMMs) from

http://www.crucial.com/uk/ (Sorry, SpecRes)

And they've got a 'wizard' that leads you through selecting the right type (as long as you've got a standard sort of PC, and havent built it yourself). But then if you built it yourself, you'd know what the memory is ...
Sat 12/01/02 at 20:07
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Well, I'd recommend 128mb minimum. What's the CPU? I'd make a good bet it's accept PC133s though.
Sat 12/01/02 at 14:13
I'm thinking about adding more RAM to my computer , but am not really sure which type i need. What is the easiest way to find out, i have checked in my computer manual but that didn't provide my with any useful information? I have a 800mhz cpu , but only 64mb of RAM. What would be a good amount to get and what type would i need ? Thanks
Dave :)
Fri 11/01/02 at 23:58
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Actually, DIMMs are realistically the cheapest form of RAM.
Fri 11/01/02 at 23:46
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
DDR. I knew pc133 wasn't the latest one. I aint bought ram for ohh 6 months? But, if his PC couldn't play OF then I think it would be pc133.. I'm probably wrong though.
Fri 11/01/02 at 23:36
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
*bounces abit*

*kicks rob back to software d00d position*

Leave off hardware, heh.

All you need to check before you add RAM is that you have a free slot, and you know what type your PC uses. The latest PCs use DDR (not "pc133 fast thingy"), but yours will probably have simms (original pentiums mainly) or dimms (pretty much anything else before DDR)..if it's simms, good luck finding any around, dimms should be easier to lay your hands on - although still stupidly expensive.

The process of adding RAM is stupidly easy -
1) Open PC
2) Insert RAM in to socket
3) Close clips
4) Switch PC back on (providing you switched it off originally..)

Prices are high at the moment, either pick some up cheap second hand or wait for a fall, but they're up 100% on those from the start of December..

It'll make running muliple apps smoother, and you'll notice a small difference in some games, but not without the CPU to back it up.
Fri 11/01/02 at 23:25
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Donkey Punch wrote:

Will adding more RAM
> make my computer faster?

Ram allows you to run multiple programs at once. As others have said, it depends on your CPU speed.

Will adding Ram let me play these games?

The minimum for latest games is about 128ram. Operation Flash is about that. I think. But, you want at least 256 for a good game.

Can You
> add RAM to any computer? and is it easy to do?

Well, in theory yes. But, in practical. No. You can add it to ANY computer on a few conditions.

You have spare ram slots. (You will have. Im sure) And, you will have top find out what type of ram it is, depending on how old your computer is. Not many use Dimms now. Its all pc133 fast thingy. Ask TBN, or Whooo or someone like that, they have the know-how.

The first time opening up your pc is pretty scary but, after locating your ram slots. It easy. Just slot them in. When you boot up your computer will do the rest, cuz its Plug and Play y'see. So, actually, its easy. Just remember to find out what type of ram it is. And remember to turn OFF the power. From the mains... And, try get an "Anti-Static" wrist band, it prevents static electricity from yourself going into the computer and shorting out important things.

Umm, hope that helps. But ask TBN (Turbonutter) or Whooo. Or any other guys around here, they can help you further if you shall require it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.