GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Golden Sun Appreciation Thread"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Golden Sun'.
Wed 12/02/03 at 17:21
Regular
The best game on the GameBoy Advance has to be Golden Sun (never mind how much NGC thinks Advance Wars is the greatest thing since sliced monkeys on bread). It's not often such a brilliant game comes along in the license-fuelled world of GBA games and on the hunt for a good GBA RPG to play (RPGs not being the Cube's the strong point as many of you know), I found Golden Sun.

I have to admit to being an impatient person, and when I go in to a games shop to buy a game I usually need to buy one, or I come home all sad and depressed. Wierd, I know, and unfortuately the cause of me buying Spyhunter during the summer games drought... *hangs head in shame*
But I had read up about the game, and had decided to buy it even though Breath of Fire also looked very good.

For those who don't know what Golden Sun is, pay attention now. For those who want to know, you can listen too, and for those who can't be bothered, go write a gerrid like reply to this thread.
The game is an epic RPG. It's huge. Hundreds of weapons and items to collect. The battles are huge turn based affairs, with
Magical creatures to collect which help you battle (think like badass pokemon with magick powers) and up to four characters in your party against up to six enemies.
The game has a gripping twisting and deep plot, Zelda-esque puzzles but with a magickal twist, amazing looks - some of the best on the GBA, and brilliant orchestral tunes that are catchy and reflect the mood of the perfectly.
This is a game you can easily dip in and out of, but unfortunatly not leave unplayed for too long - you will forget who characters are, and there is literally a cast of hundreds.
But before this turns too much into a review, I will move on...

I bought the game pretty much on it's launch day, over a year ago. Since then I have played it right up to the end battle, and then forgot about it when the Gamecube came out. I just didnt really play my GBA for ages.

So why write this now? Well last week I found out the sequel is coming out next month in the US (I thought it wasn't going to be out for ages) so I sat down last night, tilted my GBA to the light so it's screen was just about visible, and I thought I might as well finish off the game. I won't spoil it for those who have yet to experience the game, but anyone who has a GBA should have Golden Sun. Its worth getting a GBA for alone - although it's better to wait and buy a GBA:SP now :)

I'm also intrested in who else has played it. Who else has completed it, or on the other hand, where are you hideously stuck?

Thanks for reading.
Wed 12/02/03 at 18:06
Regular
Fusion Dragon is easy

Have Mia use Wish Well every turn
Wed 12/02/03 at 18:00
Regular
"the burning sky"
I finsihed this game ages ago, but have gone back to start levelling up. But Fusion Dragon was sooooo hard. I did get a head start on this game as i imported, and am sooooo glad i did. Lets keep this topic up till one of us can get our hands on an import copy!
Wed 12/02/03 at 17:24
Regular
I want this game now.
I don't care about this topic.
Fomch. (that gerridish enough?)
Wed 12/02/03 at 17:21
Regular
"thursdayton!"
The best game on the GameBoy Advance has to be Golden Sun (never mind how much NGC thinks Advance Wars is the greatest thing since sliced monkeys on bread). It's not often such a brilliant game comes along in the license-fuelled world of GBA games and on the hunt for a good GBA RPG to play (RPGs not being the Cube's the strong point as many of you know), I found Golden Sun.

I have to admit to being an impatient person, and when I go in to a games shop to buy a game I usually need to buy one, or I come home all sad and depressed. Wierd, I know, and unfortuately the cause of me buying Spyhunter during the summer games drought... *hangs head in shame*
But I had read up about the game, and had decided to buy it even though Breath of Fire also looked very good.

For those who don't know what Golden Sun is, pay attention now. For those who want to know, you can listen too, and for those who can't be bothered, go write a gerrid like reply to this thread.
The game is an epic RPG. It's huge. Hundreds of weapons and items to collect. The battles are huge turn based affairs, with
Magical creatures to collect which help you battle (think like badass pokemon with magick powers) and up to four characters in your party against up to six enemies.
The game has a gripping twisting and deep plot, Zelda-esque puzzles but with a magickal twist, amazing looks - some of the best on the GBA, and brilliant orchestral tunes that are catchy and reflect the mood of the perfectly.
This is a game you can easily dip in and out of, but unfortunatly not leave unplayed for too long - you will forget who characters are, and there is literally a cast of hundreds.
But before this turns too much into a review, I will move on...

I bought the game pretty much on it's launch day, over a year ago. Since then I have played it right up to the end battle, and then forgot about it when the Gamecube came out. I just didnt really play my GBA for ages.

So why write this now? Well last week I found out the sequel is coming out next month in the US (I thought it wasn't going to be out for ages) so I sat down last night, tilted my GBA to the light so it's screen was just about visible, and I thought I might as well finish off the game. I won't spoil it for those who have yet to experience the game, but anyone who has a GBA should have Golden Sun. Its worth getting a GBA for alone - although it's better to wait and buy a GBA:SP now :)

I'm also intrested in who else has played it. Who else has completed it, or on the other hand, where are you hideously stuck?

Thanks for reading.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.