GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Golden Sun Appreciation Thread"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Golden Sun'.
Wed 12/02/03 at 17:21
Regular
The best game on the GameBoy Advance has to be Golden Sun (never mind how much NGC thinks Advance Wars is the greatest thing since sliced monkeys on bread). It's not often such a brilliant game comes along in the license-fuelled world of GBA games and on the hunt for a good GBA RPG to play (RPGs not being the Cube's the strong point as many of you know), I found Golden Sun.

I have to admit to being an impatient person, and when I go in to a games shop to buy a game I usually need to buy one, or I come home all sad and depressed. Wierd, I know, and unfortuately the cause of me buying Spyhunter during the summer games drought... *hangs head in shame*
But I had read up about the game, and had decided to buy it even though Breath of Fire also looked very good.

For those who don't know what Golden Sun is, pay attention now. For those who want to know, you can listen too, and for those who can't be bothered, go write a gerrid like reply to this thread.
The game is an epic RPG. It's huge. Hundreds of weapons and items to collect. The battles are huge turn based affairs, with
Magical creatures to collect which help you battle (think like badass pokemon with magick powers) and up to four characters in your party against up to six enemies.
The game has a gripping twisting and deep plot, Zelda-esque puzzles but with a magickal twist, amazing looks - some of the best on the GBA, and brilliant orchestral tunes that are catchy and reflect the mood of the perfectly.
This is a game you can easily dip in and out of, but unfortunatly not leave unplayed for too long - you will forget who characters are, and there is literally a cast of hundreds.
But before this turns too much into a review, I will move on...

I bought the game pretty much on it's launch day, over a year ago. Since then I have played it right up to the end battle, and then forgot about it when the Gamecube came out. I just didnt really play my GBA for ages.

So why write this now? Well last week I found out the sequel is coming out next month in the US (I thought it wasn't going to be out for ages) so I sat down last night, tilted my GBA to the light so it's screen was just about visible, and I thought I might as well finish off the game. I won't spoil it for those who have yet to experience the game, but anyone who has a GBA should have Golden Sun. Its worth getting a GBA for alone - although it's better to wait and buy a GBA:SP now :)

I'm also intrested in who else has played it. Who else has completed it, or on the other hand, where are you hideously stuck?

Thanks for reading.
Thu 27/02/03 at 19:39
Regular
any chance you could help me in getting the halt command and getting the 5 statues the right way in the light house so i can get the door open many thanks if you can e-mail me at [email protected]
Fri 14/02/03 at 18:42
"The Will of D."
Thanks Gnomekiller. Have you still got your Hotmail account active?
Fri 14/02/03 at 18:35
Regular
"Link to the Future"
It's a bit like a hybrid of chess and C&C. Very tactical and very, very addictive. It has quite a large tutorial though for begginers, you can pick it up quite quickly.
Thu 13/02/03 at 22:50
"The Will of D."
What do you have to do in Advance Wars anyway? Do have to go to War or something, it's just seems like the type of game that is only there because the producers want us to like the idea of going to war and winning and stuff like that.
Thu 13/02/03 at 22:41
Regular
Link to the Past is no way better than GS

The old (pre-N64) Zelda games were excellant in their time, but by todays standards they just don't compare. It's essentially nothing more than walking round a poorly designed map and repeatidly pressing B when an enemy is near until it's dead. Then solving a few switch/block/item puzzles and moving on.

Golden Sun is an extremely finely crafted RPG, with a brilliant story, original ideas and a neat twist on turn-based battles. It's also has superb graphics for a hand held game.

If I were to predict a chart, it would be:

Golden Sun 2
Golden Sun
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire
Advance Wars 2
Metroid Fusion
Advance Wars
Link to the Past
Thu 13/02/03 at 22:33
"The Will of D."
A link to the Past
Golden Sun 2
Advance Wars 2 (I don't have a clue whether it's better than the first)
Advance wars (I have no idea or first hand impressions of this game)
Thu 13/02/03 at 22:26
Regular
Golden Sun is the best GBA game avaliable.

Closely followed by Advance Wars and Metroid Fusion

Little is known about Advance Wars 2 so how you can possibly rate it above Golden Sun is beyond me.
Thu 13/02/03 at 22:17
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
1. Advance Wars
2. Zelda: A link to the past
3. Advance Wars 2 (Just...)
4. Golden Sun 2

Done.
Thu 13/02/03 at 20:25
Regular
I struggle to think of even four GBA games that are better than Golden Sun.
Thu 13/02/03 at 20:24
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Microchips wrote:
> Turn-based tactical game. Much better than C+C.
>
>
> NGC put AW 1st, and GS 10th.

That makes little sense to me....

:)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.