GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"TOP TEN GAMES OF ALL TIME."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 08/09/00 at 15:00
Regular
My top 10 games of all time are listed below, along with a brief reason for why I think they are the best.

GOLDENEYE (N64) - The Best Multiplayer of its time, good even now, with lots of secrets and a great single player mode.

METAL GEAR SOLID (PSX) - Atmospheric is not the word, superb only let down by its replayability being poor.

MARIO 64 (N64) - Before this game I doubted that the platform genre would survive the transition from 2D to 3D, this blew away those doubts.

DRIVER (PSX) - Pushes the playstation to its limits, a change from run of the mill racing games. Only let down by the ridiculous difficulty setting on the last level.

RESIDENT EVIL 2 (PSX) - I love the Resident Evil series, but this is my favourite due to its great playability and with lots of alternative ways to complete the game, a game nobody should be without.

LEGEND OF ZELDA (N64) - The ZELDA series comes of age in this superb game, with hours of gameplay, and great visuals.

MARIOKART (SNES) - My favourite SNES game, and better than the N64 version by far, tones of secrets great lastability.

CANNON FODDER (AMIGA) - Simple, yet addictive gameplay. Superb fun to play and with a great sense of humour.

FLASHBACK (AMIGA) - Excellent action/adventure game, great storyline. Excellent cut-scenes added to the games atmosphere.

SONIC 2 (Megadrive) - Excellent 2 player mode, great platforming action from Sega.

Ok. that's my top 10 games, I thoroughly recommend all the above titles to anyone, they're great. What are your favourite 10 games, or what are your top 10 games on each format (e.g. playstation, N64, etc..) ??
Mon 11/09/00 at 20:11
Regular
"I like cheese"
Archaon, I'm not having a go at you, but MGS is no way over-rated. If you wouldn't mind, could you please tell me why you think that?? The only thing I could find bad about it is it doesn't have enough options.
Mon 11/09/00 at 18:59
These are my top twenty games of all time on all consoles, not just on and with a brief statement why:-

1) Tekken 3: So addictive with loads too do and bonus modes too keep you occupied for hours like 'Force Mode'. (PSX)

2) Command & Conquer(All of them): These games require skill, quick mental thinking and good mathamatics. Class Vector animations which look so good espacially the Tesla Coil. Phhhhststss...(PC)

3) Smash Bros.: So good, no one can turn this down, so great! All the 3 games packed into one game!(SNES)

4) Super Mario World: Yoshi, Toadstool and the usual bunch make this game so great and with the map feature and restart level feature make this a classic!(SNES)

5) Metal Gear Solid: I don't have this game but I would like too considering what I have played round and my mates. Stunning graphics and very realistic, love the fags!(PSX)

6) Tony Hawks Skateboarding: Yet another game which is so addictive and requires patience too master all the levels and competitions.(PSX)

7) Metal Slug 2: This game is so addictive yet again as the stunning music get's you every time, and the bosses which keep you busy for hours on end.(NEOGEO)

8) Mortal Kombat Trilogy: This game is superb, the death moves keep you entertained more than any fighting game in the world and a great choice of characters.(PSX)

9) Sonic: Brilliant lay out and the fast action game is good when you feel the addrenaline rush when you race for that end goal.(SEGA)

10) Rollercoaster Tycoon: This theme park sim has great music and sound effects which makes it seem like a real theme park. It has three main things which all real parks have. Vomit. Noise. Stalls.(PC)

11) Simcity 3000: This city building game has a wide variety of buildings to keep you eyes stunned to maximum and with the Building Architect Editor, you can make your own dream tower block!(PC)

12) Twisted Metal 2: I don't no really why I like this game but it is so entertaining watching Grasshoper scream is she goes up in a Napalm scream!(PSX)

13) Goldeneye: This classic game allows you hunt, Secret Agent style! The graphics have bugs in places but this fab multiplayer game will keep you and your mates glued too the screen.(N64)

14) Mario Kart 64: This game is better than the original, with new weapons and superb 3D action racing, watch out for that Bowser Shell! Oww! Up the butt experience there!(N64)

15) Crash Bandicoot racing: Yet again another great action stlye racing game with loads too do on one player and even more to do on multiplayer with ya mates. Good night in for all!(PSX)

16) GTA 2: This racing game kind of differs from the other racing games. You kill people for fun, or the cops kill you, or the Military!!! Great graphics and music. TAXI DRIVERS MUST DIE!!!(BEST ON PSX)

17) The Sims: This wicked game where you can create a family and then have a kid, then reck there family and house for that matter to pieces. Better with the nude bug, damn, no bits! Women I mean!(PC)

18) Doom Seris: You buy the first you need the rest! So gory you become as hungry as the mutants for more! Not very impressive graphics but wicked puzzles and lots of Hardcore Violence! YEH!(PC)

19) Kingpin: Gangster stlye violence is what we all need after a hard day at work or just for the sheer fun! Wicked animations and every one must try this game because of its great stress relief, beating the C**P out of some poor soul.(PC)

20) Duke Nukem: Another shoot em'up in which you can simply have fun blasting people into a million pieces with the grenade gun! Nice tention relief with the pole dancers though! Drop a coin down the hole in the bra and chi ching!(PC)
Mon 11/09/00 at 17:50
Regular
If I had to pick my top ten games it would be:
1)Perfect dark(N64)
2)zelda:ocarina of time(N64)
3)goldeneye(N64)
4)unreal tournament(PC)
5)turok rage wars(N64)
6)half-life(PC)
7)mario64(N64)
8)soul calibur(DC)
9)sonic adventure(DC)
10)metal gear solid(PSX)
Dont think im being hard on the playstation,I just dont get to play their games very often.
Mon 11/09/00 at 17:44
Regular
Welcome Archaon. Here, I am King. Only kidding, good line up of games by the way, and I totally agree with the Tomb Raider 1 being best thing.
Only played a demo of Final fantasy 7, never enjoyed. Ah well. Welcome to the most select group and intelligent group of gamers you will find on the web. Except Dan, just ignore him, :l
Mon 11/09/00 at 17:33
I MISSED OUT FINAL FANTASY 7 AND 8!!!! IM SORRY SQUARE!!!!! I guess its just too hard to place games in a top ten as I am an ever changing person as are most of us.
Mon 11/09/00 at 17:30
I'm new here, and this is my 1st message and most likely not my last. I would like to behgin by saying: Metal Gear Solid is the most over-rated game I have ever seen!! Its should in no way shape or form take place in anyones top ten! well after that little outbreak here is my top ten. (Including recent games and trying to get a game from various genres.)

Number one: Diablo 2 (PC) . This is the most addictive game I have EVER played. only let down by the hacking online, it still remains my fav game after easily 100 hours of playing.

Number 2: Half life:Generations (PC) . This collection could have taken up two spaces in my list, but I think it deserves to be put in as a pair. This first person shooter/puzzler/explorer/platform (see it has everything almost, including sport!! i.e chasing scientists, hehe)

Number 3: Deus Ex (PC) . A good game. A bit repetative and let down slightly by all the jumping neccesary. However this is made up for by stunning gameplay, giant guns, huge explosions and more sport (this time you chase the street bums) Brilliant combination of RPG and Action.

Number 4: Tomb Raider (PSX) . Yes thats right. I easily rate the origonal Tomb Raider over ALL the others! It has gameplay, puzzles and guns. Although it may LOOK a bit dated now its control style is simpler and this makes the game naturual to play; with less mid air flip-flopping. The only draw back is you dont have the exciting house to play in!!

Number 5: Diablo (PSX) . Thats right, Diablo strikes again. The origonal game although not conceived on the PSX has beautiful gameplay, enhanced by the fact that two players can co-operate to complete quests. It is this "never been seen before" multiplayer action which brings Diablo into my top ten.

Number 6: WWF Attitude (PSX) . As you may be guessing there are many games I like on the PSX, which is probably why it is one of the best selling consoles ever. I chose this game because again the multiplayer action, with humerous created characters such as "Biohazard" and "Mr. Sing" is excellent and rarely gets repetative.

Number 7: Soul Calibur (DC) Perfect. The best Beat 'em up I have ever seen. Hundreds of moves to master along with around 15 playable characters means you will definately find your perfect character although some playing with everyone is required, but it all adds to the fun! Again i would like to say: Perfect.

Number 8: Golden Eye/Perfect Dark (N64) . Why have I put these two games together? one word: MULTIPLAYER. They are VERY similar in this department. And that relationship is what makes me place them both together. Although the Main game is "mildly" entertaining it is the multiplayer which make it shine. Almost perfect, and definately not games to be left in the dark.

Number 9: ISS Pro 98 (PSX) . I love football, but sadly I am not too good at the games. However this is such an addictive and simple (relatively anyway) game, that i immediately fell in love with it. Forget Fifa games as this far outclasses them all.

Number 10: MechWarrior 3 (PC) . I dont believe I almost left this game out!! Inspiring, creative, interesting, part RPG part Shoot 'em up game. If you evef feel like smashing around the world then get this game. Simply said: BUY IT!!!

The number order of these games are not correct. I change my mind every second. And after much cutting and pasting this is where I got bored. Naturually I like other games, however these are the most memorable games I have ever played.

THE FUTURE IS ONLINE GAMING!! THE FUTURE IS ONLINE GAMING!! THE FUTURE IS ONLINE GAMING!! THE FUTURE IS ONLINE GAMING!! THE FUTURE IS ONLINE GAMING!! THE FUTURE IS ONLINE GAMING!! THE FUTURE IS ONLINE GAMING!! THE FUTURE IS ONLINE GAMING!! THE FUTURE IS ONLINE GAMING!! THE FUTURE IS ONLINE GAMING!! THE FUTURE IS ONLINE GAMING!! BELIEVE ME, GO AND GET DIABLO 2 NOW!!!!! Thanks for reading. Look out for hints/cheats and reviews by me.
Mon 11/09/00 at 17:05
Dan wrote, that I`ve never played on Dreamcast, well I don't own one so I've never played a game to death on it! but I do like Soul Calibur on Dreamcast. However your point is taken, there are great games on the Dreamcast that weren't on my all time great list. However there seems to be lots of replys to this letter so I think people can now look above for a list of great games, I found it particularly hard to only choose 10 myself, maybe special reserve could set up some sort of voting system so people could vote for the best 100 games of all time?
Mon 11/09/00 at 16:50
All time top 15:
I some cases I list series because I enjoyed all in the series:
1) Final Fantasy (2,3,6,7,8)
2) Zelda (3, Ocarina of Time)
3) Metal Gear Solid
4) Secret of Mana
5) Goldeneye
6) Gran Turismo (1, 2)
7) Street Fighter (2, Turbo, Alpha)
8) ISS (Pro, Evolution, Millenium)
9) Mario (World, Bros, Kart, 64)
10) Sim City
11) Age Of Empires
12) Civ 2
13) Championship Manager (2, 3, Italia)
14) Vagrant Story
15) Pokemon
Mon 11/09/00 at 14:54
Regular
"not dead"
These arre in chrological order of when I first played them, and there might be more than 10.

Fantasy Zone II (SMS) - You just can't beat this little shooter.
Phantasy Star (SMS) - My first RPG, which I'm currently playing again!
Super Mario Bros III (NES) - This game was so big for a NES game.
Maniac Mansion (NES) - This was just such a laugh to play.
Bomberman (SNES) - This is when I first realised how much fun multiplayer games could be.
Secret Of Mana (SNES) - Great RPG, fantasic gameplay.
Chrono Trigger (SNES) - Another fantastic RPG, there's just so much to do!
Link's Awakening (GB) - Really showed how good the Gameboy could be, definately the most underrated Zelda game.
I.S.S. (N64) - Greatest football sim I've played.
Lylat Wars (N64) - Best shoot 'em up since Fantasy Zone 2.
Ocarina Of Time (N64) - Extremely playable.
Goldeneye (N64) - Great in multiplayer and solo.
Pokemon (blue) (GB) - Incredibly addictive.

Honourable mentions also go to Alex Kidd, Wonderboy and Sonic the Hedgehog for stealing so much of my youth!
Sun 10/09/00 at 22:10
Okay, I admit it, I enjoyed Syphon Filter 2 more than the first one. I was just making a point. Ho hum!
Since I already posted my best ten elsewhere on the forum, I didn't want to repeat myself.
Besides, I was getting bored earlier...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.