GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"This game sucks!..oh, no it doesn't. Sorry."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 11/01/02 at 12:07
Regular
Initial impressions of a game aren’t always the correct ones.
Now some might say that I am an impulsive fool, prone to snap judgements and immediate opinion.
I think that’s unwarranted but there you go.
Aaaanyways, the point of this thread is to point out that the initial feel of a game may not be how you actually come to feel.
Example:

Operation Flashpoint.
I hated it.
I mean I really, really detested this game. You could only carry one weapon at a time, run for longer than 20 seconds and your sight is wobbly and you start breathing hard and slowing down.
Enemies shot you when you couldn’t see them and it was difficult to get to grips with.
Realism = frustration for this gamer and I put it away.
And then I went back to it and played a single mission. And found I did it. And enjoyed it.
Started a campaign and discovered that the things that infuriated me initially (not being able to shoot whilst running, no jumping about, no medikits dotted around in boxes) now made me play this game a whole lot.
And I still play it, months after getting it. Now I have the add-on and it’s hard as hell, but still tremendous fun.
I’d recommend it to anyone that likes tactical shooters.

Same thing happened last night.
I downloaded the Medal of Honour demo and hated it.
Cumbersome, hard to shoot, kept dying, you couldn’t shoot your companion etc and gave the mouse over to my mate with a gritted teeth anger.
Except after 20 mins I realised this game rocked big time.
Don’t compare it to Return To Castle Wolfenstein, they’re two separate games altogether.
Wolfenstein is a classic shooter, albeit with gorgeous graphics and atmosphere.
M.O.A is a more realistic shooter, you can’t run blindly forward shooting all and sundry.
It just takes getting used to is all.

Sorry for the lack of comedy in this thread, I just wanted to say that Medal of Honour is going to rock big time, and that’s just from playing a demo.
Sat 12/01/02 at 23:24
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
sherman wrote:
> too much realism in games can usually kill the fun factor, but operation
> flashpoint was a great game.

There's somewhat of a contradition there. Pure fun games tend to be those without any serious attention to realism, whereas there are certain games with obvious desires to be as realistic as possible.

The point of such games isn't neccessarily to find the game fun in a 'rolling around laughing' way. They're strategic, and the enjoyment is in other forms.
Sat 12/01/02 at 23:22
Regular
"!"£$%^&*()_+"
too much realism in games can usually kill the fun factor, but operation flashpoint was a great game.
Sat 12/01/02 at 12:42
Regular
"metallica dude :)"
Initial impressions of a game aren’t always the correct ones.
Now some might say that I am an impulsive fool, prone to snap judgements and immediate opinion.
I think that’s unwarranted but there you go.
Aaaanyways, the point of this thread is to point out that the initial feel of a game may not be how you actually come to feel.
Example:

Operation Flashpoint.
I hated it.
I mean I really, really detested this game. You could only carry one weapon at a time, run for longer than 20 seconds and your sight is wobbly and you start breathing hard and slowing down.
Enemies shot you when you couldn’t see them and it was difficult to get to grips with.
Realism = frustration for this gamer and I put it away.
And then I went back to it and played a single mission. And found I did it. And enjoyed it.
Started a campaign and discovered that the things that infuriated me initially (not being able to shoot whilst running, no jumping about, no medikits dotted around in boxes) now made me play this game a whole lot.
And I still play it, months after getting it. Now I have the add-on and it’s hard as hell, but still tremendous fun.
I’d recommend it to anyone that likes tactical shooters.

Same thing happened last night.
I downloaded the Medal of Honour demo and hated it.
Cumbersome, hard to shoot, kept dying, you couldn’t shoot your companion etc and gave the mouse over to my mate with a gritted teeth anger.
Except after 20 mins I realised this game rocked big time.
Don’t compare it to Return To Castle Wolfenstein, they’re two separate games altogether.
Wolfenstein is a classic shooter, albeit with gorgeous graphics and atmosphere.
M.O.A is a more realistic shooter, you can’t run blindly forward shooting all and sundry.
It just takes getting used to is all.

Sorry for the lack of comedy in this thread, I just wanted to say that Medal of Honour is going to rock big time, and that’s just from playing a demo.

METal of honour is a class game and it will rock just like the others id the an undercover part in it do you know
Sat 12/01/02 at 12:08
Regular
"I like cheese"
Heh, hopefully Devil May Cry will get better as I go along, I haven't got all that far with it at the moment.

SSSX Tricky is fantastic though...
Fri 11/01/02 at 19:20
Regular
""
My sis did that but sorta the other way round. She pestered for ages to get Rat attack and she got and played it all of 2 times.
Fri 11/01/02 at 19:18
Ant wrote:
> I got Max Payne on PS2 today, and I hated it at first. Controls were very
> annoying as you can't turn and go forward at the same time, and it's the same
> for the shooting.

Started single mode and really got into it. Although it's
> still uncomfortable, I think in a couple of days I'll have the hang of
> them.

So far however, Devil May Cry hasn't impressed...

I had the exact same same experience with Max Payne today!

However, I found Devil May Cry to be one of the most impressive PS2 titles of the year 2001!

So we're not all the same afterall!?!

Actually, things suddenly make a lot more sense..... different people like different things!

Hey, I think I'm on to something here.
Fri 11/01/02 at 18:24
Regular
"I like cheese"
I got Max Payne on PS2 today, and I hated it at first. Controls were very annoying as you can't turn and go forward at the same time, and it's the same for the shooting.

Started single mode and really got into it. Although it's still uncomfortable, I think in a couple of days I'll have the hang of them.

So far however, Devil May Cry hasn't impressed...
Fri 11/01/02 at 17:51
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
½pint wrote:
> I hated SSX. Hated it to the bone. Bought Tricky, though, and hated that. But
> with a little practice, I found it highly addictive and fun to play.

> ...

If I get a crap game, and don't like it, I'll either take
> it back or trade it, depending on my options. I don't settle for shoddy games,
> and neither should anyone else. Grrrrrr... :)

This would make you the gameing equivelent of a H'Seay or Steps fan then?

:)
Fri 11/01/02 at 17:43
Regular
"¬_¬"
I hated SSX. Hated it to the bone. Bought Tricky, though, and hated that. But with a little practice, I found it highly addictive and fun to play.

I have had about 6 copies of Turok Rage Wars, and only played it about twice. I never played Alundra when I bought it and bought Spy Hunter and only completed the first two missions.

If I get a crap game, and don't like it, I'll either take it back or trade it, depending on my options. I don't settle for shoddy games, and neither should anyone else. Grrrrrr... :)
Fri 11/01/02 at 17:40
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
i'm generally pretty rubbish at games so whenever i start a new one and really REALLY am bad at it i used to assume the game itself was bad, when it wasn't. My friend did the same thing when half-life came out

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.