GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"This game sucks!..oh, no it doesn't. Sorry."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 11/01/02 at 12:07
Regular
Initial impressions of a game aren’t always the correct ones.
Now some might say that I am an impulsive fool, prone to snap judgements and immediate opinion.
I think that’s unwarranted but there you go.
Aaaanyways, the point of this thread is to point out that the initial feel of a game may not be how you actually come to feel.
Example:

Operation Flashpoint.
I hated it.
I mean I really, really detested this game. You could only carry one weapon at a time, run for longer than 20 seconds and your sight is wobbly and you start breathing hard and slowing down.
Enemies shot you when you couldn’t see them and it was difficult to get to grips with.
Realism = frustration for this gamer and I put it away.
And then I went back to it and played a single mission. And found I did it. And enjoyed it.
Started a campaign and discovered that the things that infuriated me initially (not being able to shoot whilst running, no jumping about, no medikits dotted around in boxes) now made me play this game a whole lot.
And I still play it, months after getting it. Now I have the add-on and it’s hard as hell, but still tremendous fun.
I’d recommend it to anyone that likes tactical shooters.

Same thing happened last night.
I downloaded the Medal of Honour demo and hated it.
Cumbersome, hard to shoot, kept dying, you couldn’t shoot your companion etc and gave the mouse over to my mate with a gritted teeth anger.
Except after 20 mins I realised this game rocked big time.
Don’t compare it to Return To Castle Wolfenstein, they’re two separate games altogether.
Wolfenstein is a classic shooter, albeit with gorgeous graphics and atmosphere.
M.O.A is a more realistic shooter, you can’t run blindly forward shooting all and sundry.
It just takes getting used to is all.

Sorry for the lack of comedy in this thread, I just wanted to say that Medal of Honour is going to rock big time, and that’s just from playing a demo.
Fri 11/01/02 at 12:07
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Initial impressions of a game aren’t always the correct ones.
Now some might say that I am an impulsive fool, prone to snap judgements and immediate opinion.
I think that’s unwarranted but there you go.
Aaaanyways, the point of this thread is to point out that the initial feel of a game may not be how you actually come to feel.
Example:

Operation Flashpoint.
I hated it.
I mean I really, really detested this game. You could only carry one weapon at a time, run for longer than 20 seconds and your sight is wobbly and you start breathing hard and slowing down.
Enemies shot you when you couldn’t see them and it was difficult to get to grips with.
Realism = frustration for this gamer and I put it away.
And then I went back to it and played a single mission. And found I did it. And enjoyed it.
Started a campaign and discovered that the things that infuriated me initially (not being able to shoot whilst running, no jumping about, no medikits dotted around in boxes) now made me play this game a whole lot.
And I still play it, months after getting it. Now I have the add-on and it’s hard as hell, but still tremendous fun.
I’d recommend it to anyone that likes tactical shooters.

Same thing happened last night.
I downloaded the Medal of Honour demo and hated it.
Cumbersome, hard to shoot, kept dying, you couldn’t shoot your companion etc and gave the mouse over to my mate with a gritted teeth anger.
Except after 20 mins I realised this game rocked big time.
Don’t compare it to Return To Castle Wolfenstein, they’re two separate games altogether.
Wolfenstein is a classic shooter, albeit with gorgeous graphics and atmosphere.
M.O.A is a more realistic shooter, you can’t run blindly forward shooting all and sundry.
It just takes getting used to is all.

Sorry for the lack of comedy in this thread, I just wanted to say that Medal of Honour is going to rock big time, and that’s just from playing a demo.
Fri 11/01/02 at 12:17
Regular
"not dead"
Goatboy wrote:

> Sorry for the lack of comedy in this thread,

Don't apologise, we're expected to write about games seriously sometimes.
Fri 11/01/02 at 12:28
Regular
"bearded n dangerous"
Here's the comedy bit:
What do you call an Italian with a rubber toe?
Roberto!

Here's the gaming bit in reply to Meka's seriousness:
I agree. Same thing with games as with music. Sometimes, the games that you instantly love wear off quite soon, and other's that you just don't get to begin with end up being growers. Fantavision's my latest one. Just couldn't get my head to 'see' the chains. Then a week ago, having not played it for a while, something clicked, and I could do it like it was the most natural and great thing. Zone of the Enders was the other way around - thought it was sweet to begin with, but it bored me after 3 or 4 hours total play.

I'm sure it's something to do with levels of complexity - there's got to be a number, which are slowly revealed over time. Make everything accessible all at once, and there's nothing to keep you interested. Taking the Fantavision example, it starts out just trying not to die, but ends up competing with yourself to get the most obscurely long chain of fireworks. Lovely tactical play hidden under a veneer of simplcity.

Oh, and here's the science bit:
Ke= mvv/2
Fri 11/01/02 at 15:20
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
first impressions last....

though saying that, I played PS2 Lotus challenge, and thought it was pants, but I spent an evening with it and got to quite like it (once you adjust to the handling)
Fri 11/01/02 at 15:29
Regular
Go on! Give Lylat Wars another go! :-)
Fri 11/01/02 at 15:32
Regular
"DS..."
Strafex wrote:
> Go on! Give Lylat Wars another go! :-)

i gave lylat wars 3 go's! thats how many times i've owned it, then sold it i don't know what it is about that game i like it but then i don't?
slik ~_~
Fri 11/01/02 at 15:50
Regular
"I confused?"
i had that once i was just playing on the old nintendo when i needed to play Lylat wars.
Fri 11/01/02 at 17:40
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
i'm generally pretty rubbish at games so whenever i start a new one and really REALLY am bad at it i used to assume the game itself was bad, when it wasn't. My friend did the same thing when half-life came out
Fri 11/01/02 at 17:43
Regular
"¬_¬"
I hated SSX. Hated it to the bone. Bought Tricky, though, and hated that. But with a little practice, I found it highly addictive and fun to play.

I have had about 6 copies of Turok Rage Wars, and only played it about twice. I never played Alundra when I bought it and bought Spy Hunter and only completed the first two missions.

If I get a crap game, and don't like it, I'll either take it back or trade it, depending on my options. I don't settle for shoddy games, and neither should anyone else. Grrrrrr... :)
Fri 11/01/02 at 17:51
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
½pint wrote:
> I hated SSX. Hated it to the bone. Bought Tricky, though, and hated that. But
> with a little practice, I found it highly addictive and fun to play.

> ...

If I get a crap game, and don't like it, I'll either take
> it back or trade it, depending on my options. I don't settle for shoddy games,
> and neither should anyone else. Grrrrrr... :)

This would make you the gameing equivelent of a H'Seay or Steps fan then?

:)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.