GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is cel shaded graphics is the future for all games?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 15/02/03 at 17:34
Regular
I have seen some games now that are using cel shaded graphics and to me they dont look that good the game X111 (thirteen) is cell shaded and so is zelda on the gamecube now if all games turn out to be like this as i have heard feom one of the makers of games then it will ruin all the games and no-one will buy them anymore just imagine grand theft auto or the getaway or one of your favourite game cell shaded would you like it or not. Please let me know what your point of view is towards this problem
Mon 17/02/03 at 21:54
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
grand theft ali wrote:
> cel shaded is bad and it is not that i say that it will go on every
> game but a maker of games suck as the zelda game who said maybe every
> gmae will get cel shaded and about the security balnket i already got
> one

Are you translating your posts from japenese?

cos you make no sense

Also another word for ya-

PUNCTUATION!

and even GRAMMER! :p

Zelda is going to be one of the best games ever. do not mock it until you have played it.

Every game will neevr be cel shaded.
Mon 17/02/03 at 21:49
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
i reakon a GTA game using graphics like those used on the styalised imagaes that it shows of people (durin loading screens) would be wicked.

But what a dumb thing to say. There are going to be cel shaded games. But in comparison to normal style games they are few. :-P
Mon 17/02/03 at 21:30
Regular
grand theft ali wrote:
> i was only asking for your point of view since only you are the one
> who like cel shading good for you but the others who replyed to this
> all said it was bad aswell so.

Not me, or Dark Mark.

Thus you are wrong.

cel shading is not taking over the
> world but may be taking over graphics.

A small minority of games has been released with cel-shading and you claim it is taking over graphics? Thank god you don't live in Cardiff! One asian or black person walks down the street and you'd think there's an invasion going on!

zelda and the other cel shaded
> games looked bad they were all aimed for kids them games

re-he-heally? I bet you there are some parts of The Wind Waker that I will find near impossible until I've tried them many a time. And what is so bad about playing a game that is aimed primarily for kids? If you're going to try to tell me that Super Mario Kart, a racing game designed for kids on the old Super Nintendo, is a bad game, I will consider all your points in every message you post as relevant as a fish hook in Death Valley.

jt se radio
> had no visuals

I concur. I did think there was something wrong happening at first when I got the game and could only see a blank screen. However, when I actually turned on my TV, I realised it had pretty impressive visuals!

> this is my opinion not an official document it never was

Those are not opinions, they are what you consider to be facts. For example, "since only you are the one who like cel shading good for you but the others who replyed to this all said it was bad aswell so." That is what you consider to be fact, but I consider to be fiction. It is not opinion.
Sun 16/02/03 at 08:57
Regular
"Fragg for fun"
Sylphetic wrote:
> sideshow buzz wrote:
> Sylphetic wrote:
> . That cool racing game (whose name escapes me
> now) looks amazing
>
> Auto Modelista (probably spelt wrongly) :)
>
> Yeah, that's the one. Amazing gameplay too. Now, I love the things
> they're doing in 3D, I mean (though it had no substance or plot) look
> at Final Fantasy : The Movie. All CG. I mean, soon they'll have exact
> models of people in games, possibly even scanning in your own body for
> the game, and your face being used. The possibilities are endless, but
> just leave Cel Shading alone, it's just as good as any other graphic
> style, and the gaming industrie is well due for some change.

They have already had modles of games. One set of modles I remember qiote well was The Ledgend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time. They had modles of that games and they have modles of D.K and Yoshi and even Mario.
Sun 16/02/03 at 08:53
Regular
"Bicycle"
sideshow buzz wrote:
> Sylphetic wrote:
> . That cool racing game (whose name escapes me
> now) looks amazing
>
> Auto Modelista (probably spelt wrongly) :)

Yeah, that's the one. Amazing gameplay too. Now, I love the things they're doing in 3D, I mean (though it had no substance or plot) look at Final Fantasy : The Movie. All CG. I mean, soon they'll have exact models of people in games, possibly even scanning in your own body for the game, and your face being used. The possibilities are endless, but just leave Cel Shading alone, it's just as good as any other graphic style, and the gaming industrie is well due for some change.
Sun 16/02/03 at 08:45
Regular
"Fragg for fun"
Drunk Cow wrote:
> early bird.

Yup.
Sun 16/02/03 at 08:27
Regular
"sweats salad dressi"
early bird.
Sun 16/02/03 at 08:21
Regular
"Fragg for fun"
I wouldn't say for all the games but so far the games using cell shading and the games coming out using cell shading look pretty good in the graphics department.
Sun 16/02/03 at 07:59
Regular
"And some more !"
i was only asking for your point of view since only you are the one who like cel shading good for you but the others who replyed to this all said it was bad aswell so. cel shading is not taking over the world but may be taking over graphics. zelda and the other cel shaded games looked bad they were all aimed for kids them games jt se radio had no visuals
this is my opinion not an official document it never was
Sylphetic wrote:
> grand theft ali wrote:
> [C]el shaded is bad and it is not that [I] say that it will go on
> every
> game but a maker of games suck as the zelda game who said maybe
> every
> gmae will get cel shaded and about the security balnket [I] already
> got
> one.
>
> Hmm... I didn't know you where the official what is good and not good
> representive! Oh.
>
> 1). Since when was Cel Shading taking over the world?!?
> 2). Zelda looks great. That cool racing game (whose name escapes me
> now) looks amazing and Jet Set Radio has some of the most stunning
> visuals. Don't complain.
> 3). OK, you don't like cel shading, but why stop others enjoying it?
> And by no means are you qualified to say they're bad. No offence are
> anything, but it's an opinion, not an official document.
Sat 15/02/03 at 21:36
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
Sylphetic wrote:
. That cool racing game (whose name escapes me
> now) looks amazing

Auto Modelista (probably spelt wrongly) :)
and now what I want to say ...

The thing is with the cell shading style/technique is it can look good when used right.
If you want a progression in graphics then you have to be open to new styles/ techniques when they come along otherwise games in the future will look like that they all come from an identikit game maker.

Once the next gen consoles come along there won't be much to distinguish the differences inthe graphical power of the systems, and so for example each fps will look similar (especially if they use the same game engines) and so extra work will have to be put into ingame locations, weapons... to give the games a different feel.

take killer 7 (not sure if thats the right name) from capcom, whilst the graphics are not typical fps fare and not strictly cell shaded it will bring a new freshness than that of say 'generic fps sequel 5'

(not sure if that came across as I intended it to)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.