GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pentium 4 or AMD?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/01/02 at 12:30
Regular
Thinking of building a PC - probably P4 1.5 - Not sure whether to go down the AMD road or stick to Pentiums? Whaddya reckon?
Wed 09/01/02 at 12:30
Regular
"..."
Thinking of building a PC - probably P4 1.5 - Not sure whether to go down the AMD road or stick to Pentiums? Whaddya reckon?
Wed 09/01/02 at 12:44
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
I asked a similar question just before Xmas... the wise ones on this forum said AMD... I had to agree!!
Wed 09/01/02 at 12:58
Regular
"..."
Why AMD?
Wed 09/01/02 at 13:00
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Darkus wrote:
> Why AMD?

Cheaper, Faster, more stable and easier to clock...
Wed 09/01/02 at 13:01
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Cheaper price and much better performance at the same clock. Also great for games and graphics work. AMDs kick ass, Pentiums don't. Simple.
Wed 09/01/02 at 13:25
AMD is definatly better, i have an AMD thunderbird 1400 and i have overclocked it to 1529mhz, it runs stable (i have my computer on 24/7) and when i bencmarked it useing sisoft sandra it out benchmarked the P4 1600 by quite a bit. aslo you can use ddr ram with this chip (i know intel are bringing out a motherboard that supports DDR soon but it is no were nere as good).
only downside of AMD is that the chips run pretty hot.

C.b.
Wed 09/01/02 at 16:43
Regular
"How Handy."
As previously said, AMD chips are cheaper, faster and easier to overclock (if thats what you fancy) than the P4. The only things the Pentium beats the AMD on are heat (the P4 runs much cooler) and a little feature that prevents you from overheating the chip (apparently, though its a bit of a suspicious subject).

I've used AMD for many years simply because I can get so much performance for so little cash. Its also worth remembering if your thinking of an upgrade, you'll need a new motherboard, new RAM, new Proccessor and possibly a new case! Also the P4 Components are a lot more than the AMD ones, so it works out much cheaper to get yourself an AMD.

Do it, do it now man!
Sun 13/01/02 at 21:41
Regular
"maximum homerdrive"
both my machines are AMD. i have an old K^/2 450Mhz and my new athlon 1.4ghz networked together. both run nice and although my AMD runs hot if you get the right fan it isn't a problem
Mon 14/01/02 at 19:00
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Hey there bars-tard. I heard you ran Linux - distro/gui?
Tue 15/01/02 at 01:08
Regular
"everyone says it"
AMD.

P4 runs slower than P3 in some ways.

It was discovered anyway. Well that was the before they took back all the old stock. Can't trust it.

Get a new imac (drools). Get a G4. Get Linux.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.