GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New style XBox and Splinter Cell upgraded for PS2"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Splinter Cell'.
Mon 17/02/03 at 16:32
Regular
Microsoft have decided to change the look of the XBox - to some thing a bit more "normal & smaller". Wow! What a great idea - now we know the speed of thought at Microsoft....When it first launched, MS insisted the hardware had to be that size, and lots of XBox fans defended it and would not accept the idea that XBox could be smaller. Well at the E3 event, the restyled/smaller XBox will prove that wrong once and for all.

Splinter Cell nears it's PS2 and GC release. Turns out Splinter Cell has been in "multi-format" development for some time (while it was pushed as an XBox only game), and as a result the PS2 release will have more features than the original XBox version.

Try www.computerandvideogames.com to find out more....
Mon 17/02/03 at 16:32
Regular
Microsoft have decided to change the look of the XBox - to some thing a bit more "normal & smaller". Wow! What a great idea - now we know the speed of thought at Microsoft....When it first launched, MS insisted the hardware had to be that size, and lots of XBox fans defended it and would not accept the idea that XBox could be smaller. Well at the E3 event, the restyled/smaller XBox will prove that wrong once and for all.

Splinter Cell nears it's PS2 and GC release. Turns out Splinter Cell has been in "multi-format" development for some time (while it was pushed as an XBox only game), and as a result the PS2 release will have more features than the original XBox version.

Try www.computerandvideogames.com to find out more....
Mon 17/02/03 at 16:49
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
A smaller Xbox? Bah, just Gatesy attempting to increase his income per second above $10 million.

Splinter Cell is going to be on all next-gen consoles, but apparently, Xbox owners will be treated to plenty of new levels, downloadable from Xbox Live!

Doesn't affect me then..
Mon 17/02/03 at 18:03
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Update2.01 wrote:
When it first
> launched, MS insisted the hardware had to be that size, and lots of
> XBox fans defended it and would not accept the idea that XBox could be
> smaller.

You just proved yourself wrong there. WHEN IT FIRST LAUNCHED. Now, I don't know if you noticed, but as time goes on, technology gets smaller. Take VCRs and the original playstation for two good examples.

>
> Splinter Cell nears it's PS2 and GC release. Turns out Splinter Cell
> has been in "multi-format" development for some time (while
> it was pushed as an XBox only game), and as a result the PS2 release
> will have more features than the original XBox version.

No doubt these features will be included with the Xbox version, due to downloadable content.

Besides, the amount of extra time this game has taken to go to the PS2, I'd be pretty annoyed if it was just a straightforward port.
Mon 17/02/03 at 18:17
Regular
THe Splinter Cell developers (I'm not sure who they are) are giving PS2 owners extra's because they feel sorry for them not being able to handle the graphics, so they had been put down. The GC version is near as graphically enhanced as the X-Box but is getting less extras.
Mon 17/02/03 at 18:25
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
What a worthless thread. First of all we have a RUMOUR that has been around almost since the Xbox launched (which you seem to be posting as fact), and second we have 'Splinter Cell is getting exclusive PS2 bits' which pretty much everyone knows, and has been in plenty of threads in the Sony forum (where it belongs) already. And most of the special content like the PowerPlant will probably be downloadable for Xbox owners anyway.
Tue 18/02/03 at 08:46
Regular
Many of you have mentioned the XBox version of Splinter Cell getting the extra content via some sort of download to your XBox. Ok, what happens if you can't get broadband in your area?

The only reason why GC Splinter Cell may not get the extra's is due to the limited capacity of the disc.

As for the Xbox needing to be as big as it was when it launched, that was just over 1 year ago - not that long ago. Compare it to PS2. Sony PS2 has space inside for the broadband adaptor + hard disc drive. These won't be external devices - they go inside the PS2. Sony's console also has 2 USB sockets, 1 Firwire socket, 2 controller ports and 2 memory card slots. With all that it's still smaller than the existing XBox, and PS2 is also a bit older - so it would have been more difficult to keep the technology small. So I would say that the XBox design as it is now does not need to be that big. It's the "style" that makes it that big combined with poor internal design (ie, where they place all the components).
Tue 18/02/03 at 10:48
"possibly impossible"
Xboxes, in my experience, stay cooler than their PS2 counterparts, due partially to the less cramped interior and the better grill system. Making things smaller usually results in higher heat output and shorter life.

Of course, it would all be ok if the Xbox lasers didn't have a habit of breaking down, as mine did. Still, I'm happy to report that Microsoft paid for securicor to pick the system up, replaced the drive and sent it back within 3 working days. Can't really complain at that.

Downloadable content is going to be the bain of my xbox gaming, as without Broadband I won't be able to get to it. Still, in my opinion I expect the games to be of a good quality with no bugs and as many options as they can cram in from the start, not having to get updates like on the PC.

And also, every time someone says that the gamecube version of a game will have less options because of the disc size, it's always proved wrong when the game comes out, so I'm not really sure that this is any different.

See, is there one console format I don't like? No. They're all special to me in their unique little ways.
Tue 18/02/03 at 11:42
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Update2.01 wrote:
> Many of you have mentioned the XBox version of Splinter Cell getting
> the extra content via some sort of download to your XBox. Ok, what
> happens if you can't get broadband in your area?

I heard that some of the extra levels will be made available on demo discs, so the fact that some people can't get broadband doesn't mean they can't get the extra content.
Tue 18/02/03 at 12:00
Regular
"He's back"
does anyone actually know what these new features are? (apart from extra levals)
Tue 18/02/03 at 12:05
Regular
Like the idea of putting the extra's for Splinter Cell XBox on demo disc's - vital for some people without broadband.

XBox runs warmer than PS2 due to the PIII CPU mainly. I won't blame it on the broadband adaptor or hard disc - since when PS2 users insert their Broadband/hard disc adaptors into the back of the console, it will be a level playing field in that respect. I expect GC is the coolest running of the lot - again mainly down to the CPU type.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.