GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I need your valuable opinions!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 18/02/03 at 12:10
Regular
I have two friends who cannot agree to disagree. They must have it decided, once and for all, which is the better series – Fifa or ISS. I have come here in order to try and get some opinions, so that we can finally know who is right and who is wrong (I did once put forward the theory that the games are all DIFFERENT and therefore can’t be better or worse than each other, but it wasn’t met well.) In order to start the ball rolling, here is my personal opinion: FIFA ruled the roost during the days of the Mega Drive, when there was little else available. If I remember correctly two great games were released in 94 and 95, respectively, and then in 96 when the Playstation hit these shores two different versions of FIFA 96 were released, one on the Mega Drive, one on the Playstation. I will not be argued with on this point- FIFA 96 was a poor game. It was worse than that; it was so bad that it was massively superseded by a game released by Konami- International Superstar Soccer. The original (in my opinion, the best, but that’s another argument) ISS game stormed onto the scene, making people all over the world say ‘Eh? I thought FIFA was the best? Oh well…’ and then go and buy it.
So, 96 was the turning point- the argument becomes hazy here, as I never bought FIFA 97 or 98. I have been told that they were quite good to very good (from a biased source) and I have also been told that they were, and are, utter dump(from another biased source). Now, I have an inkling that 97 was pap, but something tells me 98 was slightly better. It doesn’t matter, though because ISS PRO and Pro 98 rode high at the time. No-one could stand in their way, not FIFA, not Actua Soccer and certainly not Adidas Predator Soccer.
Times stayed relatively golden for Konami, and they have right up until the present day.
I myself lost interest in the whole argument way back in 99. I couldn’t give a toss which is better anymore. I do know that finally EA have gotten their act together with FIFA 2003, making it a bit more similar to ISS with regards to the controls, and the option to play arcade or simulation mode. Does it live up to the standard set by the mighty Pro Evolution Soccer 2?
I’d value any opinions.
Tue 18/02/03 at 12:10
Regular
I have two friends who cannot agree to disagree. They must have it decided, once and for all, which is the better series – Fifa or ISS. I have come here in order to try and get some opinions, so that we can finally know who is right and who is wrong (I did once put forward the theory that the games are all DIFFERENT and therefore can’t be better or worse than each other, but it wasn’t met well.) In order to start the ball rolling, here is my personal opinion: FIFA ruled the roost during the days of the Mega Drive, when there was little else available. If I remember correctly two great games were released in 94 and 95, respectively, and then in 96 when the Playstation hit these shores two different versions of FIFA 96 were released, one on the Mega Drive, one on the Playstation. I will not be argued with on this point- FIFA 96 was a poor game. It was worse than that; it was so bad that it was massively superseded by a game released by Konami- International Superstar Soccer. The original (in my opinion, the best, but that’s another argument) ISS game stormed onto the scene, making people all over the world say ‘Eh? I thought FIFA was the best? Oh well…’ and then go and buy it.
So, 96 was the turning point- the argument becomes hazy here, as I never bought FIFA 97 or 98. I have been told that they were quite good to very good (from a biased source) and I have also been told that they were, and are, utter dump(from another biased source). Now, I have an inkling that 97 was pap, but something tells me 98 was slightly better. It doesn’t matter, though because ISS PRO and Pro 98 rode high at the time. No-one could stand in their way, not FIFA, not Actua Soccer and certainly not Adidas Predator Soccer.
Times stayed relatively golden for Konami, and they have right up until the present day.
I myself lost interest in the whole argument way back in 99. I couldn’t give a toss which is better anymore. I do know that finally EA have gotten their act together with FIFA 2003, making it a bit more similar to ISS with regards to the controls, and the option to play arcade or simulation mode. Does it live up to the standard set by the mighty Pro Evolution Soccer 2?
I’d value any opinions.
Tue 18/02/03 at 12:12
"Darkness, always"
As a series, ISS is far superior. However, of the two latest offerings, FIFA 2003 is much better than ISS2, and that's coming from a die hard "ISS rocks, FIFA is gay" type of person.
Tue 18/02/03 at 12:15
Regular
"She's a dog!"
First off, in the days of the mega drive and snes, the best football game was an ISS one, by far. Since the days of snes, ISS has ruled the football days. Until now when Pro Evolution is the better out of the three. The three being ISS 2, Fifa 2003 and Pro Evo 2.

And in order of greatness.

1.Pro Evo 2
2.Fifa 2003
3.ISS 2

Nuff said.
Tue 18/02/03 at 12:20
Regular
Insane Bartender wrote:
> As a series, ISS is far superior. However, of the two latest
> offerings, FIFA 2003 is much better than ISS2, and that's coming from
> a die hard "ISS rocks, FIFA is gay" type of person.

'FIFA is gay'. Did you come up with this theory by yourself or did you steal it from a 9 year old?
Tue 18/02/03 at 12:21
"Darkness, always"
michael l wrote:
> 'FIFA is gay'. Did you come up with this theory by yourself or did you
> steal it from a 9 year old?

I was probably not much older than 9 when I came up with it, so I'll stand by my comments.

I'm 24 now, though.
Tue 18/02/03 at 12:25
Regular
One of my friends is the exact opposite of that. he decided that 'ISS is just s**t' about 7 years ago, and to this day he sticks by it.
Tue 18/02/03 at 12:27
"Darkness, always"
Your friend is as stupid as he is ugly.
Tue 18/02/03 at 12:29
Regular
No, he's uglier than he is stupid.
Definitely.
Tue 18/02/03 at 12:32
Regular
The other friend is worse, he doesn't accept that there has been a good fifa game

he is mistaken. oh yes.
Tue 18/02/03 at 12:41
"Darkness, always"
well, if you haven't played fifa 2003, then you can be forgiven for thinking so. It's the first decent Fifa game. Ever.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.