GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
""Best game ever" debate"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 08/01/02 at 17:10
Regular
How can people continually point out just one game when they are reffering to the best game ever? We need to look at the evidence and realise that it is spread over seven different catagories.
Hopefully, this will clear it up, but this is only my opinion.

The best Action/platformer:

Super Mario World (super nintendo)

This has been chosen because it is a classic. It had all the neccasary components which make a great game, and it is still liked today. The graphics were great, and at the time, were the best graphics seen up until then. The gameplay was second to none. It was challenging, addictive, very long, and revolutionary. It also spawned many rip-offs seen even today(Crash Bandicoot and Croc are notable examples).

The best RPG:

Final Fantasy 7 (PSOne)

It was a toss up between this and Zelda 3 on the Snes, and Zelda 64 on the N64. What you will notice most about Final Fantasy is the graphics. This, I think, is the most intruiging aspect of FF, and is consistently done to great levels everytime a new one is released. Another main feature of the game is its size, each game will take you literally weeks of playing to complete, no matter how long you play it for. Up until know, nothing has came near it in terms of gameplay, and has became the benchmark for future RPG's.

The best Sport: Championship Manager series (PC)

This was very hard to say because none have stood out as clear winners. However, the title must got to CM because it it so popular. The addictiveness of this game is clear for everyone to see. No matter how old you are, yu will find it hard to play this, and then not want to play it again. Each time a new one has come out aswell, it has improved either by the sound, graphics, or its sheer size.

The best Flight simulator: Microsoft Flight Simulator (PC)

There was never really any doubt with this one. It is a really great game with a big fanbase...although it has grabbed the headlines recently for the wrong reasons. This will remain a classic with many people because it best depicts flying an aeroplane in real life. The graphics and amount of different planes help it become the great game it is today.

The best Real-time strategy: Command & Conquer (PC)

If Civilization had been a RTS in its earler days, I would have chose that. But as it stands, C&C is a clear winner. I have been playing that many times, and forgot that it has reached 3'o'clock in the morning. This is either because there was a level which was really hard, or I just couldn't get enough of a great game. This game really makes you think, and this is one of its strong points and why it is so succesful.

The best Racing game: Gran Turismo (PSOne)

What can you say about this game what hasn't been said already? It was simply a masterpiece when it came out, and is everyones favourite today. It had everything, and a little bit extra. It is so good because it is so revolutionary, and hasn't been surpassed,even with the technilogical advancements in consoles, Gamecube and X-box included. I don't mean that it has the best graphics now, that would be unfair, but at the time, nothing even came close to it.

So there they are, the truely greatest games ever.
I would have included the Powerpuff girls for $lik, but Doughnut Monster wouldn't have been happy ;)
Wed 09/01/02 at 00:28
Final Fantasy 7 and Final Fantasy 9
Tue 08/01/02 at 23:35
It's good to be back!

I've been so busy with other things, I aint been on the forums. but I did win a gameaday for some hints for thief 2 I put up!!!!

Yes its good to be back!!

seeyas.
Tue 08/01/02 at 23:30
Regular
Nice to see you around again cooldogs.
Tue 08/01/02 at 23:17
C&C is not the best RTS, that's Shogun: Total War. no other game presents such a realistic stratagy, as far as the battles are concerned; while still having a great organising on the greater scale, with the turn based map of japan.

A Class game, that will go down in history as the best there aver was!!!!!
Tue 08/01/02 at 22:18
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
my fave RPG's are Final Fantasy 7 + Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
Tue 08/01/02 at 21:48
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
your favourite gran turismo game is number 1?
Tue 08/01/02 at 21:47
I felt that Shenmue was as good if not better as these FF7 and Chrono Trigger.
Tue 08/01/02 at 19:24
Regular
"¬_¬"
I'm sorry, Slave2games, but I have to disagree with you on best RPG. Chrono Trigger provided a much larger degree of entertainemtn to me than Final Fantasy 7.
Tue 08/01/02 at 19:23
"period drama"
Nope.
Boring.

Nah, I'm hardly gonna read everyone else's posts before writing myself, am I?
Well, maybe.
Tue 08/01/02 at 19:21
FFF, take a look at my topic perfection, u may find it interesting

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.