GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do video games influence crimes?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 19/02/03 at 10:03
Regular
Are video games responsible for our actions? Can people honestly say (and I mean honestly) that a video game influenced their behavior? For years people have blamed the music and film industries and now their starting on our beloved video game world. Well to an extent this can be true but lets look at the facts.

To be influenced by Playstation 2’s Rumble Racing you’d need to get a yellow rocket with wheels, launch yourself from a ramp or ditch, perform a double back flip, successfully land on the road, speed off ahead of the traffic and drop an giant novelty snowball on the road then unleash a tornado on the M6. Has anyone ever done that?

Or to be influenced by Mario, you’d need to be doing your plumbing job, you know fixing a toilet belonging to a woman named Peach, spot the pet tortoise Norman in the garden, jump out of the window screaming “hup whoop cookoo” at the top of your voice in and ac-cent that’s anything but Spanish, then land on poor fella with your butt, forcing him into his shell, kick the now petrified turtle over three fences with an aim like Beckham so he lands on a turtle killing them both. You’d then need to pop into you client Peach’s house and nick her Mr. Kipling of the sideboard. Has anyone ever don’t that?

What about the infamous Tony hawk? If someone wanted to press charges on you for performing a human dart grind around their (women in bikini filled) cruise ship then draining the pool, releasing a lifeboat and trashing their museum (causing a terrifying accident where a man cheats death and is flung overboard) all in under two minutes. Then you could say it was the games fault.

Lets not leave out Medal of Honor, has anyone ever tried to re-enact the storming on Normandy beach by running up Southend pier with a cap gun yelling “get to the frontline”, reached the no entry fence surrounding Peter Pan’s playground and planted explosives there, detonated them and then infiltrated the machine room for the Crooked house screaming “I am Jimmy Paterson, bow down before me!” Has that happened lately? No, it hasn’t, and I don’t think it’s likely to happen anytime in the near future either.

Or our wonderful friend Solid Snake? Has it been in the news lately that a deranged Mesomorphic man with a extremely deep voice has run through Safeway under a cardboard box, grabbed one of the employed and sedated her then dragged her sleeping body to the ice-cream freezer and stuffed her in it? Did this person then crawl down isle five, retrieve a box of painkillers then attacked the docked trolleys with a S.A.M. missile to defend the world from the new ‘Metal Gear”? No, no he didn’t, because this has never happened either?

And finally has anyone taken Tekken to heart? Has anyone placed the hollowed out head of a leopard on their head and staged a series of fights in places around the world including the slums of China and even a three round fisticuffs match with a polar bear? Or a Japanese sword wielder named Yoshimitsu? No, nobody has done this either!

So none of these crimes (or absurdities) have actually been committed? Then why make the farfetched claim that video games influenced your behavior in a situation? Until REAL proof arises that a video game was responsible for someone committing a crime I will not accept the allegation.

Thanks for reading.
Thu 20/02/03 at 11:30
Regular
"Hallelujah"
you are not turning my forum into a word assosiation thread!!! thats the first thing that came to my head (honest)
Thu 20/02/03 at 11:26
Regular
"My PRECIOUS!!!!!!!!"
Whats the first thing that comes into your head when i say RUDE!!
Thu 20/02/03 at 11:25
Regular
"Hallelujah"
*lots of "zippy" noises* "Snake!? Snake!?...SNAKE!?!?"
Thu 20/02/03 at 11:25
Regular
"" I like your Gun""
I will be the emperior......soon Anakin...soon ( Extract taken from Episode 3 : Atack of the "Pones" starring David Seamans ponytail as Yoda
Thu 20/02/03 at 11:23
Regular
"I like cheese"
"You've got an impressive snake, Snake."
Thu 20/02/03 at 11:22
Regular
"Hallelujah"
i've not seen either of those. come back and insult when you get good at FF10, then i'll listen to the strange sounds comming out of your mouth.
Thu 20/02/03 at 11:19
Regular
"" I like your Gun""
Shut up Garlic you fool! Ya been watching too much Chuckie and too little Gangsters Paradise, starring Michelle Myffer and Collio the shista wifster!Boooooooo
Thu 20/02/03 at 11:02
Regular
"Hallelujah"
Thats acctually a interesting point, it's possible to argue that. My point is just that video games are of 'Virtual Reality', thus meaning, they are not real, they are a form of escapism by taking on the role of another person (be that a spy, assasain, intire England football team or simply a skateboarder) to blame the game is just a feeble attempt at shifting blame from yourself to escape trouble and responsibilty.
Thu 20/02/03 at 09:49
Regular
It could be argued that the videogame industry has helped to curb crime instead of people being out on the streets beating or mugging because they are bored, they are indoors doing it on the TV instead. I know which one is better for the publics health.
Thu 20/02/03 at 09:12
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
Well we know until we do they experiment. Now, where did I put thoses babies.....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.