GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Zoom 2987 Modem is the one for THPS3"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 07/01/02 at 16:00
Regular
The Zoom 2987 Modem works fine with Tony Hawks. The Multitech MT5634ZBA does NOT.

Today I spoke to the editor of PSI2 magazine, just before Xmas they bought a Zoom modem (after spending half a day locating any of the suggested modems anywhere in the UK).
It works fine and costed £37 plus £10 P&P, quite cheap eh !

Today I phoned their supplier to discover the modem has now gone upto £55 plus P&P.
Do you smell a rat ?? or is it just coincidence ??

I won't name the retailer, yes I will it is procom-gb.com, I'm sure SR won't mind me mentioning another company due to the circumstances.

Has anyone else had anymore joy on the modem front ?
Wed 09/01/02 at 19:00
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
144 wrote:
> Plus one more good thing for having a HDD and modem built in is that developers
> know that they arent wasting time to make features that will be enjoyed by a
> minority of owners of that console.

Yep thats true. I hope alot of PS2 games use the HDD feature.
Wed 09/01/02 at 18:07
Regular
Plus one more good thing for having a HDD and modem built in is that developers know that they arent wasting time to make features that will be enjoyed by a minority of owners of that console.
Wed 09/01/02 at 18:01
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I think one problem with teh PS2 and online is that not everyone will have a modem. With the X-Box at least you get an inbuilt cable adaptor to use with broadband. This offers broadband X-Box users to go online with the console straight out of the box. PS2 owners need to buy a modem or broadband adaptor to actually connect to the internet. If hardly anyone buys the modem/broadband adaptor then Sony could have wasted alot of money.

Take the DC for example, I own one and have never played a online game. I've been on the internet a few times before but apart from that its been a waste. But if online gaming was bigger back then and Sega offered online launch titles then I would have used it more. If Sega didnt include a modem with the DC, then my DC would still be modem less.

X-Box has Halo as an online game, so straight out of the box you could be playing Halo if you had broadband. But if the X-Box didnt include a modem, how many X-Box owners would actually spend money on getting one?
Wed 09/01/02 at 17:58
Regular
BT getting their act together, guess we have to wait a long time if sony is going to wait for these guys I mean look how they are even handling the mobile phone security they aren't doing anything.
Wed 09/01/02 at 17:54
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
144 wrote:
>They probably have an official one from Sony but I dont know about it and speaking of consoles havin online
compatible games I think that xbox will have more of such games than the PS2 in Europe, it seems to me like Sony arent really serious on getting european ps2 owners to get playing online.

>So if you want a console thats going to get playing online as soon as posible get the xbox thats if you have broadband.

Do you think though that Sony are having trouble with online play in Europe due to the prices we have to pay especially over here? The US has basically free internet access and just about every home (slight exageration!) has a computer with net access so they're sorted.

Over here, there's only 2 real online players in this country....BT and NTL....I know there are loads of free ISP's but most require you to have a BT line which I think is bad and until BT get their act together (hah!) and allow other companies to get access to the local loop or BT offer broadband at a reasonable price or at least inline with the rest of Europe then I dont see Sony pushing the online facilities that much.
Wed 09/01/02 at 17:32
Regular
Jive wrote:
>Ok, if I've been reading this forum correctly, Japan are already
> hooked up to the net with their PS2's and are playing online? If thats right,
> what modem are they using?

They probably have an official one from Sony but I dont know about it and speaking of consoles havin online compatible games I think that xbox will have more of such games than the PS2 in Europe, it seems to me like Sony arent really serious on getting european ps2 owners to get playing online.

While already some xbox launch games already have online compatibility which I dont think will be removed when they get here unlike what developers like Capcom did to the PAL version Capcom vs SNK 2.

So if you want a console thats going to get playing online as soon as posible get the xbox thats if you have broadband.
Wed 09/01/02 at 16:46
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Shadow wrote:
>Good question, I would also like to know the answer,
I do not think it has been released in Japan yet so I guess we will be about 6 months after that, so maybe Xmas 2002.

Phew, thought I was gonna get me head chewed off! LOL!

Ok, if I've been reading this forum correctly, Japan are already hooked up to the net with their PS2's and are playing online? If thats right, what modem are they using?
Wed 09/01/02 at 16:28
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
I have been informaed that Modular Technologies produce an external USB Modem model no. is MOD56DTL
with it's OWN power lead !
Costs £40.00 from Comet, my local Comet is out of stock.
Is this the answer to our problems ?

PS their website is out of date, it is not on there.
Wed 09/01/02 at 16:22
Regular
Jive wrote:
Now this could be a really stupid
> question but how many days are we looking at until the official one is
> released?

*Sits back and waits for the onslaught*

Good question, I would also like to know the answer, I do not think it has been released in Japan yet so I guess we will be about 6 months after that, so maybe Xmas 2002.
Wed 09/01/02 at 16:18
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
G1NGER wrote:
>Counting the days

Now this could be a really stupid question but how many days are we looking at until the official one is released?

*Sits back and waits for the onslaught*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.