GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Revolution"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 07/01/02 at 00:49
Regular
We look back at the early years of gaming and we see the birth of genres, we see the first Platformer, the first shoot ‘em up and the first driving game. But genres haven’t stopped today but sadly these days some don’t get further than the first few games.

Sheep Dog ‘N Wolf a damn good title and was oddly called a Steal ‘em up, now this is still an early idea and may progress in to something more but right now it is just a one hit wonder despite its similarities with Silicon Valley (or for PS1 owners Evo’s space adventure). Some though don’t turn out to be one hit wonders. Survival Horror genre (which is also oddly named) is now a widely accepted genre to go along side platformers and Racers. Resident Evil, Alone in the Dark are probably the biggest names but Onimusha and Devil May Cry aren’t far behind. Despite this Survival Horror is still quite old now what new genres have been created over the last couple of years that will revolutionize the gaming future?

Crazy Taxi: Despite being around in the arcades for sometime this brilliant new idea on the driving front to use on a console. It was popular enough to gain a sequel but there were problems with both and we all knew it, you couldn’t stand it for so long. Fears of this being a trend within the game industry though came to an end with the brilliant Simpson’s Road Rage.

Party games: No one honestly thought this idea had a future but oddly it does??? Although a great game Mario Party are one of few N64 titles to get a third outing and with a fourth planned for the Gamecube! The idea was then passed on to THQ who implemented the idea into the Rugrats games and then Acclaim gave it a go in South Parks Chef’s Luv Shack.

Dancing games: I never understood the attraction to these I thought the idea of dance mats and button bashing was just stupid but after playing on SEGA’s awesome Space Channel 5 and my entire view of them has changed. Dancing games are huge in Japan and quite popular in other places as well, if you haven’t tried one don’t get put off but the idea button pressing at the right moment is damn well addictive.

Extreme Sports games: These exploded after Tony Hawks, now Matt Hoffman, SSX, Jet Set Radio and many more. These games are fast and require quick-fingered players, timing is of the essence and so they have become addictive. Be it racing style like Trickstyle, straight trick games like Tony Hawks or Graffiti games like Jet Set (grind) Radio they are some of the most popular games to date

But creating new genre’s is becoming harder and harder to do but creating a new genre isn’t the only way forward revolutionizing an older one is also a great thing to do. Over the last generation this has happened to even the oldest genres. Platformers have gone through many changes first Mario and Banjo revolutionized them with the new 3D worlds that were brilliant and refreshing changing platform games forever, Sadly Banjo and Donkey Kong went too far so Conker appeared and refreshed it all and again this is a new revolutionary way for the platform genre.

Shoot ‘em ups changed after the arrival of Goldeneye and all big Shooters like it are following in Goldeneye/ Perfect Darks footsteps. Halo, Agent under fire and Timesplitters are but a few that has followed in Goldeneye’s footsteps and again this was a game that changed the view of Shoot ‘em ups. Tekken revolutionized beat ‘em ups and most of us have forgotten Street Fighter and Killer Instinct its all Tekken and Dead or Alive these days. Driving games changed with the introduction of the 3D stick now the handling is much more precise.

So what of the future? Will Eternal Darkness revolutionize Survival horror promising the new Psychological side of the genre? Will Mario Sunshine return platformers to the former glory last seen early in the N64’s life? Will the new Zelda change the way developers think when they make adventure games? Who knows but then I suppose that is what makes the future so exciting!

Here’s to the future.

Dringo.
Mon 07/01/02 at 00:49
Regular
We look back at the early years of gaming and we see the birth of genres, we see the first Platformer, the first shoot ‘em up and the first driving game. But genres haven’t stopped today but sadly these days some don’t get further than the first few games.

Sheep Dog ‘N Wolf a damn good title and was oddly called a Steal ‘em up, now this is still an early idea and may progress in to something more but right now it is just a one hit wonder despite its similarities with Silicon Valley (or for PS1 owners Evo’s space adventure). Some though don’t turn out to be one hit wonders. Survival Horror genre (which is also oddly named) is now a widely accepted genre to go along side platformers and Racers. Resident Evil, Alone in the Dark are probably the biggest names but Onimusha and Devil May Cry aren’t far behind. Despite this Survival Horror is still quite old now what new genres have been created over the last couple of years that will revolutionize the gaming future?

Crazy Taxi: Despite being around in the arcades for sometime this brilliant new idea on the driving front to use on a console. It was popular enough to gain a sequel but there were problems with both and we all knew it, you couldn’t stand it for so long. Fears of this being a trend within the game industry though came to an end with the brilliant Simpson’s Road Rage.

Party games: No one honestly thought this idea had a future but oddly it does??? Although a great game Mario Party are one of few N64 titles to get a third outing and with a fourth planned for the Gamecube! The idea was then passed on to THQ who implemented the idea into the Rugrats games and then Acclaim gave it a go in South Parks Chef’s Luv Shack.

Dancing games: I never understood the attraction to these I thought the idea of dance mats and button bashing was just stupid but after playing on SEGA’s awesome Space Channel 5 and my entire view of them has changed. Dancing games are huge in Japan and quite popular in other places as well, if you haven’t tried one don’t get put off but the idea button pressing at the right moment is damn well addictive.

Extreme Sports games: These exploded after Tony Hawks, now Matt Hoffman, SSX, Jet Set Radio and many more. These games are fast and require quick-fingered players, timing is of the essence and so they have become addictive. Be it racing style like Trickstyle, straight trick games like Tony Hawks or Graffiti games like Jet Set (grind) Radio they are some of the most popular games to date

But creating new genre’s is becoming harder and harder to do but creating a new genre isn’t the only way forward revolutionizing an older one is also a great thing to do. Over the last generation this has happened to even the oldest genres. Platformers have gone through many changes first Mario and Banjo revolutionized them with the new 3D worlds that were brilliant and refreshing changing platform games forever, Sadly Banjo and Donkey Kong went too far so Conker appeared and refreshed it all and again this is a new revolutionary way for the platform genre.

Shoot ‘em ups changed after the arrival of Goldeneye and all big Shooters like it are following in Goldeneye/ Perfect Darks footsteps. Halo, Agent under fire and Timesplitters are but a few that has followed in Goldeneye’s footsteps and again this was a game that changed the view of Shoot ‘em ups. Tekken revolutionized beat ‘em ups and most of us have forgotten Street Fighter and Killer Instinct its all Tekken and Dead or Alive these days. Driving games changed with the introduction of the 3D stick now the handling is much more precise.

So what of the future? Will Eternal Darkness revolutionize Survival horror promising the new Psychological side of the genre? Will Mario Sunshine return platformers to the former glory last seen early in the N64’s life? Will the new Zelda change the way developers think when they make adventure games? Who knows but then I suppose that is what makes the future so exciting!

Here’s to the future.

Dringo.
Mon 07/01/02 at 00:59
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Silent Hill 2 has already brought psychology into the Survival Horror genre, to extremely good effect.

Also, you missed space shooters. The most recent one has to be Rez, which has nearly completely attained synesthesia, a great feat indeed. It has to be one of the most orginal games this year, and more or less creates a whole new genre.
Mon 07/01/02 at 01:05
Regular
ED is said to be a genre in itself, how many games have you played where you wonder if what is happening is real or not????

The sanity idea is excellent bring on this epic.
Mon 07/01/02 at 01:06
Regular
I don't know much about REZ so i left it why not brief me TBN musical shoot 'em up and space shooter is all i have heared.
Mon 07/01/02 at 02:23
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Oh, well there's far too much to say about it than to write here. Try ps2.ign.com and read their review, but basically, it's a shooter, but as you progress through the level, and better your score, the graphics and colours get, well, not "better" just "more". Also, the music evolves as you go. It's all very hard to explain, but read the review and look at the screenies. You might get and idea then, but the experience can't be expressed in words or pictures.
Mon 07/01/02 at 10:11
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I think that REZ game has subliminal messages telling kids to take drugs...
;-)

Oh, and I agree with that Eternal Darkness thing, I have been really excited about that game ever since I first heard about it. I mean, you may look into your inventory, only to find all your stuff gone, but then a white flahs comes, and if you check again, it is back. And you open a door, and your arms fall off, then your head, then torso, and you are left with a pair of legs. They fall to the floor, and again the white light flashes, and you realise you haven't yet opened the door, and just imagined it...

These are only two examples that have been seen in Eternal Darkness, think of the possibilities! You are fighting a horde of zombies, but you soon realise some are just in your mind. Can you distinguish between the two to fight off the real threat? You may come across someone, they'll turn around and be a zombie or other such enemy, you lop off their heads, and boom! The white flash comes, and you see that the person was not an enemy at all, but could have given you vital help! There are so many more ways it could be incorporated to mess with your mind!
Mon 07/01/02 at 11:16
Regular
Nice post Dringo, good point put forward. There are so many unknown genres and more to come in the future.

I've always found that a good old board game on the PC is quite a lot of fun. Not many people recocnised this as a very good idea because they could just get a real board game out of the secret board game stash and play the real thing. But some of the animations and extra rules can make all the difference in a platform genre. Take monopoly for the PC. It's already a classic board game outside of computer gaming, so the only way to really make money by selling it would be to add more options and funny animations to it. For example the aunction option. I never used that in real life but it's really fun. Another example of PC gaming is Cluedo, like the original but fun animations aswell.

Looking into the future, we have a brand new genre on the horizon. The GameCubes (And as a world record) fastest selling game, Luigi's Mansion. This is going to be called a spook 'em up. Killing little ghosties and stuff. This might have been donw before on a Ghost Busters game or something, but i've never seen it done on a console. A brand new genre (I think) for a brand new console.

Again, nice post Dringo.

RiCkOsS
Mon 07/01/02 at 22:22
Regular
Sibs wrote:
Oh, and I agree with that Eternal Darkness thing, I have been
> really excited about that game ever since I first heard about it. I mean, you
> may look into your inventory, only to find all your stuff gone, but then a white
> flahs comes, and if you check again, it is back. And you open a door, and your
> arms fall off, then your head, then torso, and you are left with a pair of legs.
> They fall to the floor, and again the white light flashes, and you realise you
> haven't yet opened the door, and just imagined it...

What would be interesting you pop through a door to see a huge Zombie who is seemingly impossible you try to beat him but you cant and you die but insteads of dying normally you appear right where you opened the door you go through the door and the room was empty... there was no boss...

Thats Psychological for you.
Mon 07/01/02 at 22:30
Regular
I think that this psycological business is likely to get very annoying as you won't know what the hell is actually going on.

I think that revisiting classic genre's is another way to impress.

Mario Advance. A nes rip off but I still loved it as it reminded me of a style of game that I'd not played for years!

I'd like to see the Gamecube DK in a similar style to the original Crash Bandicoot, only using more imagination to make the classic A to B even more interesting.
Having several different secrets/exits in each level is one good way of doing this.
Mon 07/01/02 at 22:40
Regular
Personally i'm just gonna stop thinking about it, becasue i was very dissapointed with two of Sony's biggest christmas games. DMC and Jax&daxter were supposed to be amazing. I got bored after 30 mins on each one. I iz just gonna stop thinking about it...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.