GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are add ons worth it"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/02/03 at 21:36
Regular
I don't think that add ons are worth buying. Because when you buy a game you want to play it and have fun then you may go on it once or twice more but generaly you will want to get a new type of game, so you can enjoy that type. I would prefer to spend my money on a totally new game that is just as long as the last one as I had, not some tiny little extra. the only exception I can think of is Medal of honour because nobody can be bored of that as it is amazing.
Fri 21/02/03 at 21:36
Regular
I don't think that add ons are worth buying. Because when you buy a game you want to play it and have fun then you may go on it once or twice more but generaly you will want to get a new type of game, so you can enjoy that type. I would prefer to spend my money on a totally new game that is just as long as the last one as I had, not some tiny little extra. the only exception I can think of is Medal of honour because nobody can be bored of that as it is amazing.
Sat 22/02/03 at 00:47
Regular
"www.funrunner.co.uk"
short answer to your queston:

No
Sat 22/02/03 at 14:48
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Yes, add-on packs can be worth it. Half-Life: Opposing Force was a great expansion pack, which kind of recreated events from the original Half-Life but put a new spin on things, i.e. you played as the bad guys rather than the geeky looking scientist.

Then there are the expansions like GTA: Vice City and Operation Flashpoint: Resistance which had so much extra put in them they became stand alone games as apposed to a cheap cash in.

Besides which the purpose of expansion packs is to "expand" on the game they are created for, they aren't made to be a totally new game, or to create a new gaming experience, they just add things whether it's new objects, new areas, new weapons, improved graphics etc. They're basically for fans who crave more from their favorite game, and lets face it, a sequel to you're fave games would be nice, but they take longer to develop than expansion packs.

There are exceptions however, and yes I am going to mention The Sims. So far there have been 5 expansion packs for that game, and if EA really cared about their dedicated fan base that had built up around their game, they could have created one truly amazing add-on pack instead of 5 cash ins which add little to the game. EA seem to have a tendency to create naff expansion discs, with MOH: Spearhead and Battlefield 1942: Road to Rome having a rubbish amount of new things which don't really pro-long the gaming experience, just have you craving more.

So, expansion discs can be good, but they can be bad as well, just like sequels in fact. In the end it all comes down to whether you yourself want more from a particular game, or are willing to stick it out until the developers decide to make a sequel.
Sat 22/02/03 at 21:36
Regular
some add-ons are worth it and sum add-ons are just total ~*&%$^>?"£)¬+_=@~{*|"&%%$£"%*&£^£"£^%"$£$!@~#

half-life opposing force - like the last bloke said, is actually a good add-on, in fact is it even an add-on? i reckon it a stand alone game....

however, the wazzocks at hasbro decided to release RCT2 which is less of an improvement than the loopy landscapes and corkscrew follies were to RCT1, which i think is that dumb it makes me cry.

spearhead is a reasonable add-on. new SP game, new weps, etc. cool.
Sun 23/02/03 at 01:16
"High polygon count"
UrkiE-UK wrote:
> spearhead is a reasonable add-on. new SP game, new weps, etc. cool.

Spearhead is excellent! I just wish it was longer. :-( I know it's only an add-on, and it's only £20, but it was over all too quickly.
Sun 23/02/03 at 16:30
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> UrkiE-UK wrote:
> spearhead is a reasonable add-on. new SP game, new weps, etc. cool.
>
> Spearhead is excellent! I just wish it was longer. :-( I know it's
> only an add-on, and it's only £20, but it was over all too
> quickly.

Exactly, People aren't getting enough for their money
Sun 23/02/03 at 21:51
Regular
"A man with a stick"
That's EA for you though, they seem to like to string fans of their games along, just look at the sims.
Sun 23/02/03 at 23:46
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Trouble is, people buy it. Like my brother.

Lovely PC games go to waste (and some GC games too) because hes worrying about the lack of cash to buy Unleashed. He always says 'I won't get the next one - its just some pets'.

Then he does.

Little sod.

:D
Mon 24/02/03 at 00:16
"High polygon count"
Thing is, if people like a game, they will buy the add-ons. You can't really blame EA - or anyone else - for that.

Still, to be fair, Spearhead is less than half the original game, for more than half of the price. I think a lot of these things could be made available for a free download from the website.
Mon 24/02/03 at 20:50
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Very much like the add on for Return to Castle Wolfenstein which is being made available for free download, at the cost of the single player section of the expansion, which suposedly wasn't up to it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.