GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Enemies Intelligence in games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 06/01/02 at 12:48
Regular
Many games now have stunning graphics, which require more sophisticated systems for them to run smoothly and with out any trouble. But the thing that annoys me most about games in the intelligence of the enemies you face during the game. A lot of games have superb graphics, but they lack the quality of game play. The computer-controlled opponents can be quite boring after a while, and seem very repetitive.
The standard of the computers AI is now improving, but there is still a lot more that could be done. Although I do think a successful game needs good graphics to make it more appealing to the public buying the game, I enjoy a game with more of a challenge, and which are more realistic. The majority of games now have difficulty levels for you to decide how hard you want the opponents to be, but in most cases this doesn’t increase the capabilities or intelligence of the enemies, just make them a bit harder to kill. E.g. taking 5 bullets to die instead of 4 on an easier level.
I think that the graphics are at a very good standard at the moment, and more time should be used to develop the way the opponents attack you, and the different tactics they use. Once the AI levels are increased in a game, it would make it more enjoyable, because it’s more of a surprise, and their actions will not be so predictable.
The single played games are what I enjoy most, because they provide a good story line, and lots of action. These could be made more exciting and more challenging for the gamer if the enemies were more advanced, and there movements more complex. That’s where multiplayer games can be more popular, especially games such as Quake, Counter- Strike, and Team Fortress. These provide more excitement, you have to think more, and try a harder if your going to succeed. As you play against other people around the world, they all have different ability levels, and there reactions are more like a human, as there is a human controlling them. Variations of tactics are used to try and win, this makes it more competitive and challenging for the gamer.

What do you think is the most important aspect of a good game?

Dave :D
Mon 07/01/02 at 11:08
Regular
"Back For Good"
Enemy intelligence in games = dumbell with pinpoint coordination :-D
Mon 07/01/02 at 10:59
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Salevaa wrote:
I
> think that gameplay is the best aspect of all, in that gameplay is the blood,
> sweat and tears of a game and without it, you're literally screwed. Graphics and
> sound mean practically nothing, but are a nice touch and AI really makes a game
> nowadays. 5 years ago, we would all be singing a very different tune. Ah,
> memories eh?

> We were so easily entertained many a year ago.

I dont think our requirements for a good game have changed since the late seventies...

There have been discussions on Game A.I. for a good decade or so, especially since the release of Dune2 in 1992/3

Its only our expectations of hardware output has increased as the power of hardware has increased?
Mon 07/01/02 at 10:40
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
i don't think graphics are as important as every1 says, they just make a game better
Sun 06/01/02 at 22:07
There is no one important aspect of a game, its like a film, may have a brilliant story, briliant camaera work etc, but if its got no sound, then its going to be a bit rubbish.

Same with games, its the whole which makes it what it was, would Super Mario 64 be as good as it was if it had cripperling pop up, bad textures and small levels? i doubt it.

You need to have good sound, good presentation, good controls, good gameplay and lots of other things to make it good.
Sun 06/01/02 at 18:09
Regular
"Sally On Weekdays!"
"What do you think is the most important aspect of a good game?"

I think that gameplay is the best aspect of all, in that gameplay is the blood, sweat and tears of a game and without it, you're literally screwed. Graphics and sound mean practically nothing, but are a nice touch and AI really makes a game nowadays. 5 years ago, we would all be singing a very different tune. Ah, memories eh?

We were so easily entertained many a year ago.

Another good post Dave.
Sun 06/01/02 at 17:23
Regular
"¬_¬"
Medal of Honour: Allied Assault has got amazing AI. Meant to be better than Half Life.
Sun 06/01/02 at 17:19
Yeah Half Life is probably my favourite game , didn't know that the army men did kung fu though , never got that close to them, I always start blasting lead into them with the mp5. Halo sounds good though , will look forward too that.
Dave :D
Sun 06/01/02 at 16:10
Regular
"!"£$%^&*()_+"
yep the AI does play a vital role in shooting games now a days, its what makes a good game a great game, like for e.g (halo, or half life) if you go near the army men in half life they won't shoot you but instead do kung fu which is a nice touch.
Sun 06/01/02 at 15:33
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
One of the huge points about Halo is that the enemies are actually just like human players... even if you do everything the same as you did it last time, they will act differently... they also wait for yo to reload before shooting, hide behind objects, etc...

Should be great to see in action

Sonic
Sun 06/01/02 at 15:30
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
I'm not sure you can actually define one specific 'important factor' of a game. You cannot attribute any one games success to it's graphics/engine/AI/longevity, etc.

Above all else, it's the ability of a game to keep you returning to it. If the game's not enjoyable, then it's a failure.

Games can only get better with an improvement in the AI of the characters, and it's definately one of the aspects most immediately noticeable when playing a truly entertaining game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.