GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Will Xbox live work on a 128kbps broadband connection?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 22/02/03 at 16:26
Regular
Will Xbox live work on a 128kbps broadband connection? I was wondering because the prices of high speed are extremely high and i would prefer not to spend 30 quid a month on 600kbps connection. If any of you would be able to tell me a less-than-20-quid broadband connection id appreciate it.
Tue 11/03/03 at 22:30
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Mantis wrote:
> adrien, look at the text I quoted from xbox.com a few posts down, it
> says ISDN works.
>
> I found the text in the glossary of words which expains the meanings
> of the techincal stuff.

I can see what you posted but I can not see it anywhere on XBox.com. Are you looking at the US or UK site? The best thing would be for you to email or ring up Microsoft and ask if 128K ISDN or cable work.
Tue 11/03/03 at 19:31
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
adrien, look at the text I quoted from xbox.com a few posts down, it says ISDN works.

I found the text in the glossary of words which expains the meanings of the techincal stuff.
Tue 11/03/03 at 16:24
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I'd like to see if you can manage it with 128kb/s...

It would be good if you could, just don't host games and you'd laughing!
Tue 11/03/03 at 10:33
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Dwarf_Pr0n wrote:
> I've seen a few people with 128Kbps connection on MotoGP.
> If your PC can connect to the internet without dialing you are fine.
> This might require an Ethernet capable modem if you have a USB modem
> that has to dial 0.

No as I have a USB modem and am fine dialing into the ADSL connection. XBox Live is suppose to run tests to stop people with low speed connections connection to XBox Live. Because in theory you could hook up you XBox to your PC and then have nothing but a 56K modem running the internet. As you share the internet connection with the XBox you would run XBox Live on a 56K modem. Wonder if anyone has tried it yet? But I have read that Microsoft do speed checks on your connection as well as the ping. So trying a 56K connection may not pass these tests where as a 128K connection might.
Tue 11/03/03 at 09:11
Regular
"The Dwarf's coming"
I've seen a few people with 128Kbps connection on MotoGP.
If your PC can connect to the internet without dialing you are fine. This might require an Ethernet capable modem if you have a USB modem that has to dial 0.
Mon 10/03/03 at 23:06
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Dwarf_Pr0n wrote:
> gamezfreak wrote:
> Unfortunatley, No.
>
> Liar. You can use XBox Live on 128kbps broadband. Just check the
> Official XBox site http://www.xbox.com/uk

Cant find anything on the site saying 128K works. It may but just be warned that you will get limited games due to the lower bandwidth. Hosting games will probably be a issue with only a small number(3 of 4) of players being able to connect to you without lag.
Mon 10/03/03 at 22:42
Regular
"The Dwarf's coming"
gamezfreak wrote:
> Unfortunatley, No.

Liar. You can use XBox Live on 128kbps broadband. Just check the Official XBox site http://www.xbox.com/uk
Sun 23/02/03 at 23:31
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
'ang on a sec. The Xbox Live FAQ says 128k will work with Xbox Live!

Here's the chuck of text " high-speed Internet service: Provides Internet service at speeds much faster than dial-up modems.

Note Dial-up (ISDN) is supported by Xbox Live. The most common types of high-speed Internet service use cable "

So then 128k will work? That is what ISDN is, right?
Sun 23/02/03 at 23:10
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
*cough*

Can anyone answer please?
Sun 23/02/03 at 17:05
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
128 won't work coz its IDSN i thought. But will 256kbps work?

Its only 20 a month see.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.