GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"THPS3 - A fresh perspective."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 06/01/02 at 00:41
Regular
First of all, thanks to Tarrant for the idea for this topic. As he was new to the Gran Turismo scene, he wrote a topic discussing his views about GT3 from the perspective of somebody new to the scene. As a result, I`m just doing a quick version of it for THPS3, as this is my first time using a THPS game.

So... first off, it seems to be in three main stages:

1) Learn how to make jumps, grabs and rails etc... giving yourself small combos of around 10k or so.

2) Discover reverts and manuals allowing you to link longer combos together, taking your scores through the roof, and past 200k.

3) I haven`t got this far yet, but from what Tarrant seems to be able to do, there is a mystery third step where you know exactly how to mix in all the specials, the variety, the grabs, combos, rails, manuals, reverts, etc... all together in one mammoth million point combo.

Having only just completed the game with one character (a custom built erm... skater) I now have access to Darth Maul. I find it quite exciting that Lucasfilm have allowed so much detail to be used for Maul. Not only is he just like the real thing, but all his moves, and goals are force related. Nice touch!

Anyway, the main point I`ve noticed about the game is its gradually growing addictiveness. Initially I would play for only 20 minutes to an hour, in the hope of perhaps getting another couple of goals. However, as the game opens up to you, it becomes gradually more and more addictive. Given the life altering addiction to THPS3 I have at my level, imagine what it must be like for Tarrant! How does he manage to stay alive without eating and stuff?

So there you have it, a bried description with very little detail telling you exactly what you already knew. THPS3 is a great game that becomes scarily addictive. Its a close call as to which is better out of Tricky and this, and coming from somebody as biased towards SSX as me, things look good for old Tonty.
Sun 06/01/02 at 00:41
Regular
First of all, thanks to Tarrant for the idea for this topic. As he was new to the Gran Turismo scene, he wrote a topic discussing his views about GT3 from the perspective of somebody new to the scene. As a result, I`m just doing a quick version of it for THPS3, as this is my first time using a THPS game.

So... first off, it seems to be in three main stages:

1) Learn how to make jumps, grabs and rails etc... giving yourself small combos of around 10k or so.

2) Discover reverts and manuals allowing you to link longer combos together, taking your scores through the roof, and past 200k.

3) I haven`t got this far yet, but from what Tarrant seems to be able to do, there is a mystery third step where you know exactly how to mix in all the specials, the variety, the grabs, combos, rails, manuals, reverts, etc... all together in one mammoth million point combo.

Having only just completed the game with one character (a custom built erm... skater) I now have access to Darth Maul. I find it quite exciting that Lucasfilm have allowed so much detail to be used for Maul. Not only is he just like the real thing, but all his moves, and goals are force related. Nice touch!

Anyway, the main point I`ve noticed about the game is its gradually growing addictiveness. Initially I would play for only 20 minutes to an hour, in the hope of perhaps getting another couple of goals. However, as the game opens up to you, it becomes gradually more and more addictive. Given the life altering addiction to THPS3 I have at my level, imagine what it must be like for Tarrant! How does he manage to stay alive without eating and stuff?

So there you have it, a bried description with very little detail telling you exactly what you already knew. THPS3 is a great game that becomes scarily addictive. Its a close call as to which is better out of Tricky and this, and coming from somebody as biased towards SSX as me, things look good for old Tonty.
Sun 06/01/02 at 00:43
Regular
Woah! I must be tired! How many times did I use "new to the scene" in the first paragraph.

*Hits one hand with the other*
*Other hand takes revenge*
*Hey! How`d you do that?*
*What? Me?*
*Yeh you!*
*Er, same way as you...*

I need sleep.
Sun 06/01/02 at 00:45
Regular
ssxpro wrote:
>I need sleep.

You need more than that mate! Try a psychiatrist.
Sun 06/01/02 at 00:55
Regular
I aint going near this game then....

I hate being addicted...although i like it....love/hate thing.

Already addicted to Champman which is more than enough with a bit of pro evo on the side...
Sun 06/01/02 at 01:04
Regular
There are reasons to hate it, such as "I have exams in 11 days, and will fail if I keep up this ratio of time spent on THPS3 to time spent revising" - a true story :-)

However, the pluseseses far outeigh the minuseseses.
Sun 06/01/02 at 10:23
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
THPS3 is amazing, I have completed it with Tony and now need just 21 goals for Darth Maul. Hopefully Wolverine will be a good character aswell.
Sun 06/01/02 at 12:43
Regular
I started properly with Daft Mall today, and have completed all goals up as far as LA. I`ll start on the final three levels after I`ve done some work.

How many times do you have to complete it to get Wolverine?

Also, what happens with all those "gap" tricks, the blue things. I am told there are thousands, that if you collect them all, you get some amazing video or something.
Sun 06/01/02 at 12:58
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Wolverine is the next character after Darth maul. WIth Darth Maul I have done all the levels up to the Airport perfectly.

Havent heard about the gaps, may have to look into it and see if its true. It would take awhile to try and find all the gaps.
Mon 07/01/02 at 20:41
Regular
Got Wolverine today, but not sure which character to complete it with next. Darth Maul will certainly be my all time favourite character, so it`ll be hard to take his place.
Mon 07/01/02 at 20:46
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
Sorry, nothing about the game. Just wondering if ssxpro got a new Garibaldi score with my tips?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.