GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Film into games…games into films…"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 05/01/02 at 22:05
Regular
Isn’t it entertaining to see how the filming industry moves towards the side of games, and how the games industry moves to the side of films?

Look at how the growth of the gaming industry has become in the last decade or so. I think it’s great how game developers decide to develop a videogame based on a certain movie. Take 'Street Fighter' for example. You probably wonder why I brought up this game. Well, Street Fighter may not be entirely based on a movie, but it certainly has its ground. Do you all remember the fabulous display of martial arts, as Jean-Claude Van Damme lit-up the screen in the movie that made him what he is today? Bloodsport was that movie. Think about the characters and the way they acted in the film. You had "E. Honda", taking the role of a sumo wrestler. Then there was "Cun Li", which in this case, was only a similar name to the female character in Street Fighter, but you did have "Sagat" and many other characters from the series that took part in this film. Most of them never used the same names as in the Street Fighter series, as you would notice from Van Damme’s character, "Frank Dux", of whom the film is based on; the legendary martial artist. Now when the Street Fighter games were brought to the industry, it was a new revolution to gamers, all over the world. It became the ultimate fighting game of the year, and maintained position until of course 3D fighters were developed. But even today, the old 2D fighter still has its moments.

Coming back to games into films, now there’s something that the filming industry should steer clear away from. I say this because almost every movie based on a game hardly succeeds. I have to admit though, Street Fighter, funny enough, is a great movie, and I would never say any different. It may not be like the manga movies, which are obviously the best way to go about making conversions, but still…Street Fighter has its own unique storyline. It makes the film more interesting, setting a nice atmosphere, and is probably the one movie I admire the work of, when it comes to films based on games.
Now here’s a thought…think of the other movies they’ve made in the past, which are based on videogames; Mortal Kombat, Final Fantasy, Starship Troopers, and of course…Metal Gear Solid, which nobody can say it isn’t based on a film, because it is. “How?” you may ask. Well, okay…Look at these movies for instance: - The Rock, Crimson Tide, and Die Hard. Take out certain parts from all these movies, especially The Rock, and implement them into a videogame. What do you get? “Metal Gear Solid”. I am no way criticising this game; I know it’s an amazing title, and also a great achievement, but it uses too much from movies, rather than making it on its own. But on the other hand, I love "Metal Gear Solid", not to mention "MGS2: Sons Of Liberty". All I am saying in this case, is that games should be developed in their own way, without the aid of technology found in movies. "Star Wars" is a different story altogether. You can’t really argue with the fact that the Star Wars games have to be based on the actual movie, because that’s the whole idea. This particluar game has to be based on the movie as much as possible, in order to add in that full effect you get when sitting in the cinema, except that you get to play as the hero, in your own way, and at your own pace.

Unfortunately, I have to cut this topic short, because I really don’t want to keep you waiting… I am sure that some of you are most probably thinking right about now, "Oh good, it's about time, too". Just Kidding.
I will however, find another time to continue this topic, and tell you more about the idea of films to games, and games to films.

For the meantime…my major point here is that games into movies never work as well as movies into games.

Be sure to visit "The GAD Realm" once again to read my next topic, where I shall discuss about new ideas of the filming and gaming industry.

Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoyed your stay,

Shadow Demon
Sun 06/01/02 at 12:51
Regular
"The GAD Realm"
Regarding "Starship Troopers" - The film is fantastic...the game is just okay.

As for "Star Wars" - I mentioned in my topic that this particular game must be based on the film as much as possible, if you want the same effect as sitting in the movies.
I have always wanted to find a Star Wars game that would be based on the movie, rather than having different names and storylines. The Gamecube has finally given us just that. Do you all remember that wonderful display of space combat with the Rebellion fleet and the Empire in the first Star wars movie, A New Hope? Well, that's exactly what the Gamecube is bringing to us very soon. It's every gamers dream and every Star Wars fan's fantasy. It makes me want the Gamecube more and more by the minute. This new Star Wars game, arriving for Nintendo's new machine will probably be the best 'film-to-games' title yet.
Sat 05/01/02 at 23:15
Regular
"!"Ł$%^&*()_+"
street fighter the movie was a terrible image for the game but the manga movie was good.
Sat 05/01/02 at 22:18
Regular
"The GAD Realm"
misterhappy wrote:

> overlapped on anything you've said.

No problem at all. I am very glad to see that you at least enjoyed the topic, and it was nice to see you mention other 'games-to-films' too.

I have seen a lot of the forthcoming Residentr Evil movie, which looks okay I guess, but the zombies harldy reminds you of the game at all.

Thank you for your reply misterhappy.
Sat 05/01/02 at 22:13
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Shadow Demon wrote:
>"Cun Li"

So, so nearly a Freudian slip...

Good post.. you're right all the way. Movies from games have all been abysmal. Mario bros sucked badly, Tomb Raider was awful and Street Fighter was at that point where you wonder if they are taking the mickey or not.

Movies into games has potential. It doesn't usually work because most games companies wait until after a movies been released to see if it's successful before snapping up the rights. They then have to produce a game really quickly to coincide with the film's release, ŕ la Harry Potter, Men in Black, etc. However, when a film is made into a game way after the film release, like Goldeneye, and it's done by a company with decent credentials then you get some classic games. They are even helped by the film because you feel more immersed playing a game which has locations you've already seen in it.

Sorry if I've overlapped on anything you've said.
Sat 05/01/02 at 22:08
Regular
"¬_¬"
Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game
Spiderman: The Movie: The Game
Harry Potter: The Movie: The Game
LOTR: The Movie: The Game

Heh heh. Probably has nothing to do with your topic, since I couldn't be bothered to read it, but judging by the title it should do. heh heh. Street Fighter The Movie: The Game was totally rubbish.
Sat 05/01/02 at 22:05
Regular
"The GAD Realm"
Isn’t it entertaining to see how the filming industry moves towards the side of games, and how the games industry moves to the side of films?

Look at how the growth of the gaming industry has become in the last decade or so. I think it’s great how game developers decide to develop a videogame based on a certain movie. Take 'Street Fighter' for example. You probably wonder why I brought up this game. Well, Street Fighter may not be entirely based on a movie, but it certainly has its ground. Do you all remember the fabulous display of martial arts, as Jean-Claude Van Damme lit-up the screen in the movie that made him what he is today? Bloodsport was that movie. Think about the characters and the way they acted in the film. You had "E. Honda", taking the role of a sumo wrestler. Then there was "Cun Li", which in this case, was only a similar name to the female character in Street Fighter, but you did have "Sagat" and many other characters from the series that took part in this film. Most of them never used the same names as in the Street Fighter series, as you would notice from Van Damme’s character, "Frank Dux", of whom the film is based on; the legendary martial artist. Now when the Street Fighter games were brought to the industry, it was a new revolution to gamers, all over the world. It became the ultimate fighting game of the year, and maintained position until of course 3D fighters were developed. But even today, the old 2D fighter still has its moments.

Coming back to games into films, now there’s something that the filming industry should steer clear away from. I say this because almost every movie based on a game hardly succeeds. I have to admit though, Street Fighter, funny enough, is a great movie, and I would never say any different. It may not be like the manga movies, which are obviously the best way to go about making conversions, but still…Street Fighter has its own unique storyline. It makes the film more interesting, setting a nice atmosphere, and is probably the one movie I admire the work of, when it comes to films based on games.
Now here’s a thought…think of the other movies they’ve made in the past, which are based on videogames; Mortal Kombat, Final Fantasy, Starship Troopers, and of course…Metal Gear Solid, which nobody can say it isn’t based on a film, because it is. “How?” you may ask. Well, okay…Look at these movies for instance: - The Rock, Crimson Tide, and Die Hard. Take out certain parts from all these movies, especially The Rock, and implement them into a videogame. What do you get? “Metal Gear Solid”. I am no way criticising this game; I know it’s an amazing title, and also a great achievement, but it uses too much from movies, rather than making it on its own. But on the other hand, I love "Metal Gear Solid", not to mention "MGS2: Sons Of Liberty". All I am saying in this case, is that games should be developed in their own way, without the aid of technology found in movies. "Star Wars" is a different story altogether. You can’t really argue with the fact that the Star Wars games have to be based on the actual movie, because that’s the whole idea. This particluar game has to be based on the movie as much as possible, in order to add in that full effect you get when sitting in the cinema, except that you get to play as the hero, in your own way, and at your own pace.

Unfortunately, I have to cut this topic short, because I really don’t want to keep you waiting… I am sure that some of you are most probably thinking right about now, "Oh good, it's about time, too". Just Kidding.
I will however, find another time to continue this topic, and tell you more about the idea of films to games, and games to films.

For the meantime…my major point here is that games into movies never work as well as movies into games.

Be sure to visit "The GAD Realm" once again to read my next topic, where I shall discuss about new ideas of the filming and gaming industry.

Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoyed your stay,

Shadow Demon

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.