GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Consoles Online Without Broadband?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/02/03 at 23:37
Regular
Right, let me get this straight, the Xbox is broadband only, right?

What about the PS2? I was on the website, but found very few details about it, is that broadband only too? I heard rumours that was the case.

If so, the Gamecube is the only one you can play online with a modem, for all of those that don't live in broadband areas.

Shame there are no online games other than PSO scheduled for the GC then...
Fri 28/02/03 at 16:04
"High polygon count"
Rainier Wolfcastle wrote:
> So, In conclusion, I don't know about the PS2 adaptor, but if it IS
> broadband only, then in my opinion Sony have really dropped the ball.

As someone else has said (I think), the US adapter has both BB and modem connectors. But it is strongly rumoured that the UK version will be BB only.
Fri 28/02/03 at 15:42
Regular
The problem with playing games on a 56k modem has always been the same, it only uploads at a tiny fraction of the available bandwidth, so, especially in peer to peer systems like some Xbox live games (no doubt the PS2 will be the same before you all moan ;) ), uploading at such a small bandwidth would criminally put a strangle hold on the system.

The evidence needed is the fact that 56k is the fastest speed avaliable on a standard modem, that provides adequate voice communication, but we're not talking absolutely fantastic. SOCOM Navy Seals and Xbox live have voice communications as their centre point, and people are complaining because a phone line doesn't have the bandwidth to play games and talk at the same time.

You also have to look at the bandwidth involved, with a 56k modem to run smoothly, you would need to create a game which could transfer all of the essential information to do with all of the players object characters at any given moment at a speed of 50-60 frames per second!!!!

So, you take your avalable bandwidth per second, chop of the top section becuse you very., very rarely transfer data at full speed, then divide whats left, say 48k by 50. That's less than 1KB per second to download all of the data for other players, and only a couple of hundred bytes to send your own to everyone else, which may take 4-5 frames of the game to reach them anyway due to a 300ms ping time.

Look at it that way, do you really want to put yourself through that torture of haing to play in the same game as someone playing on a 1mb cable modem or better??
Fri 28/02/03 at 14:40
Regular
Don't think the ps2 modem is properly supported in the UK - not a proper service setup, etc. For the UK PS2 market, I think Sony are pinning their hopes on everyone getting broadband in the very near future.

I have to side with the previous posts about this. At the moment there is a real "Digital Divide" in the UK. I mean in a few years time, I could possible do my job from home - but only if we all had fast internet connections. 56k is far to slow and also unreliable. ISDN is better on both counts, but nowhere nears as quick as broadband. Not having broadband in your area WILL deter manufactures, etc from setting up I think. As for games, the first phase will be to produce games along the same lines as now but with Online levels and options. Phase two will see the end of disc based games, and content will only be available via broadband download only. So if you can't get broadband in the normal way, you will have to pay a fortune for 2-way BB satellite if you want to play the latest games.
Fri 28/02/03 at 14:02
"...Unicef pennies.."
Slaveunit wrote:
> The PS2 is modem compatible - THPS3 supports it and runs with 3rd
> party modems.

Oh yeah. I so it does!

*does a little dance*

Will GT4 support modems though...

*stops dancing*
Fri 28/02/03 at 13:38
"possibly impossible"
It's true. Tbe PS2 supports most USB modems, including ISDN ones, apparently. There are many people happily (if slowly) playing with Tony Hawks online (as it were!)
Fri 28/02/03 at 13:24
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
The PS2 is modem compatible - THPS3 supports it and runs with 3rd party modems.
Fri 28/02/03 at 13:17
"...Unicef pennies.."
Having just read the news on the upwire about Gran TUrismo 4, I'd have to say that I'll be thoroughly peeved if online PS2 gaming is BB only.

I love the GT series, but if the entire game is based online, I'm not going to subscribe to broadband just to play it. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

So, In conclusion, I don't know about the PS2 adaptor, but if it IS broadband only, then in my opinion Sony have really dropped the ball.
Fri 28/02/03 at 13:05
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I've had a Nokia 7650 for about 4 months now, and although it's not a new technology in terms of technology-time, i'm still quite impressed with this Blue-Tooth melachy.

I think, that if any of these companies could release an add-on for their console allowing Blue-Tooth to be used as a form of link-up, it'd be worthwhile. Granted, you'd probably have to live in a built-up area, so people in Pembrokshire, or who live in Lairs in Mountains would benefit, but for the average Joe, a Blue-Tooth range of about 2 miles, if it could ever be achieved would certainly reap some rewards.

X-Box live asks for a Credit Card to sign up with. Taking into account the volume of immigrants into this country, most of which aren't allowed a credit card until about 3 years of being a citizen, this causes problems... no less in the case of a Aussie who comes into our store [, who once ripped an Ape Escape 2 poster off the wall in 'Rage' (sorry) that he could get his copy of Rocky for the XBOX[. Never the less, On-line gaming is about to take off, and I for one can't wait to be playing all my work colleagues on Moto Gp and Ghost recon. But i'm still looking forward to Mario Kart more.... online or not, we should know by then end of E3!

Nice to be back....

Game
Fri 28/02/03 at 08:50
Regular
I have said the same for a long time, but nobody has taken any notice. Any major Broadband Games system in the UK (in the near future) could be the next ITVDigital. Not enough coverage, so not enough users to make it pay.
Thu 27/02/03 at 23:11
"High polygon count"
This is exactly why I don't think online gaming is going to take off as well as expected, at least in the UK - the broadband situation sucks.

Cable offers the best BB service, and NTL have recently placed a cap on the amount of data their users can download per day - a maximum of 1GB. That is a lot, but if - say - you leave your PC on during the day to grab some large files of Kazaa etc., that can take up a lot of your bandwidth. Then if you had a marathon session on your Xbox at night, yu could get cut off mid-game. There are other cable companies, but their coverage is pretty limited compared to NTL.

Your only serious alternative is BT, and they are next to useless. I have a friend on the BT service, and - while at least the service is currently unlimited - he readily admits that it isn't as quick or as good as cable.

Even so, BT's coverage and roll-out plan is abysmal. I looked into switching to BT when NTL brought their restrictions in, and BT's coverage does not cater for my area 'yet' - despite being one of the largest housing estates in Northampton! The only way I can hope to get BT's service is to 'register my interest'. Then, *IF* enough people from the same area register, BT *may* consider upgrading the local exchange!

The whole situation is completely useless, and until these companies wake up, online console gaming - in the UK at least - will be strangled at birth.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.