GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dial-Up For X-Box Live?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 28/02/03 at 14:24
Regular
Anyone Think That With All The Money That Microsft Have And Faith In The X-Box, Shouldnt They At Least Launch X-Box Live With Dial Up Supposrt As Well As Broadband?, Most Of The Uk Cant Even Get Broadband Yet!!!

Hidden-Death

www.worldofgamers.com
Sun 09/03/03 at 18:25
Regular
"The Dwarf's coming"
Microsoft DO have their own broadband service in the UK. It's called Telewest. Bill Gates owns a large %age of shares in the cable company.

The reason that they didnt do dial up is that the games wouldnt run that well on dial up. And to be honest as a broadband user I'm glad they didn't do a dial up. I don't want lag just cos someone can't get broadband.

If you don't like it get a Game Cube cos it's the only console thats gonna have dial up since SONY announced it was doing broadband only.
Sun 09/03/03 at 17:19
Regular
Why doesn't Microsoft just make their own broadband service? They could simply issue the equipment and you could pay a all-in-one sum every month? All you would need is a micro-filter and possibly a router - they could make some extra cash. And it doesnt even need to be that expensive because its not as if they aren't already rich enough?

Any one have any comments?
Fri 07/03/03 at 18:04
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
phi11ip wrote:
> I wasn't talking about Xbox live when I made that post!
>
> I was just saying that you can't always say that 56k modems slow the
> game down!
>
> Just don't let them into any games...
>
> Quake works fine when you have servers that have people like me &
> modem users with pings over 200 on the service at the same time!
>
> Only when a modem hosts the game do you have problems!

Read this http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ (Space) xbox/file/xbox_live.txt
Read question 17 and you will see why 56K users arent allowed. It also explains the difference between PC online games and peer to peer gaming which is what I believe XBox Live uses.
Thu 06/03/03 at 18:17
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I wasn't talking about Xbox live when I made that post!

I was just saying that you can't always say that 56k modems slow the game down!

Just don't let them into any games...

Quake works fine when you have servers that have people like me & modem users with pings over 200 on the service at the same time!

Only when a modem hosts the game do you have problems!
Thu 06/03/03 at 17:19
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
phi11ip wrote:

> I play games on Quake 3 with my 128k line where the max ping is 50, I
> easily get in with a ping of about 18-30, no slowdown there because
> modems are confined to the slower servers that have no barriers on
> them!
>
> Simple, 56k and broadband can live happily together!

Yes but you have a 128K cable pings on that are low. Even 64K ISDN has lower pings by quite a good margine over 56K modems as its a digital connection.

What people dont understand with XBox Live that it actually is a Peer to Peer gaming network. Who ever sets up a game has to provide the bandwidth to send data to every person in the game. So if you have a slow connection like a 56K then the most you could have would be one other person in the game, as the upload speed is slow as well as the download.

When hosting a game on XBox Live I can host a 8 player game of Unreal. As I use ICS I can see how much data my PC is shifting over the internet. When having a 8 player game the upload can be maxing out my 256K upload which is 30k/s. Now think a 56K modem can upload at about 30K which is 3.75K/s. Now on a 8 player game I can be uploading at 30k/s thats 3.75K/s per person. So on a 56K connection only a 2 player game will be viable without any serious lag.

Pings in this case do not really matter as much as you do need to send lots of data to keep a lag free game, as if you cant send the required amount of data the player will be lagged anyway.

If 56K users where allowed then the whole XBox Live system would have to change to allow only 56K users to play against each other. Or set up dedicated servers that are at Microsoft so that 56K users never need to host a game.
Thu 06/03/03 at 16:23
Regular
"oaps.org"
Hidden-Death wrote:
> It still would be nice if x-box live at least had a option where you
> can download the extra levels and such for games on dial-up

hardly practical, you need to pray to god and hope the wind is blowing in the right direction just to ensure a good connection for your 10meg an hour download ability
Thu 06/03/03 at 16:11
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
phi11ip wrote:
no slowdown there because
> modems are confined to the slower servers that have no barriers on
> them!
>
> Simple, 56k and broadband can live happily together!

But then what exactly do these 56K people do? They'll be on a rubbish service that has constant lag. It won't be worth the money they've paid for it, so they'll go and clog up the MS helpline trying to work out why their 56K isn't as good as broadband.

No, broadband only it is - and that's how it'll always be for Microsoft.
Thu 06/03/03 at 15:19
"slightlyshortertagl"
phi11ip wrote:
> Simple idea...
>
> Just add a filter so that large pings cannot play on a server!
>
> Have '56k servers' and 'broadband' servers...

Money, money, money...

Do Nintendo have that sort of money to spend on their online gaming? Especially when there's meant to be only one game at launch..
Thu 06/03/03 at 15:15
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Simple idea...

Just add a filter so that large pings cannot play on a server!

Have '56k servers' and 'broadband' servers...

So your theories that Nintendo will have a crap service because of modems is rubbish!

I play games on Quake 3 with my 128k line where the max ping is 50, I easily get in with a ping of about 18-30, no slowdown there because modems are confined to the slower servers that have no barriers on them!

Simple, 56k and broadband can live happily together!
Thu 06/03/03 at 15:07
Regular
"Erm....."
It still would be nice if x-box live at least had a option where you can download the extra levels and such for games on dial-up

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.