GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A free game with every game..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 28/02/03 at 20:31
Regular
If only that were the case all the time. Buy one game at near enough full price and get another free. After all, that's what were getting when we recieve our copies of The Wind Waker, the latest Legend of Zelda game, which to our luck has a copy of Ocarina of Time and the Double-D add-on game with it at no extra cost! But why would Nintendo benefit in doing similar bonus discs with other own-brand titles?

When you think how poorly the Nintendo 64 really did fare up against the likes of the Playstation many years ago, it shouldn't suprise you to hear of many gamers who never actually got a chance to play top Nintendo 64 titles, or who have done, but never for longer than the times they spent at a friend's house. So, take all those people into consideration, and add the possibility that many of them would have wanted to have a chance of owning them, but couldn't afford a Nintendo 64 at the time, and you've got a big opportunity to make big money on the GameCube!

Although Nintendo still have the biggest profits in the gaming market, their flagship unit, the GameCube, is still miles behind the Playstation 2 in terms of sales, despite Special Reserve reporting that sales of the GameCube recently beat the Playstation 2 and Xbox. There are plenty of people out there looking for a new console to play, and the GameCube is sitting their right before their eyes in retail outlets all across the country, yet the gamers don't seem to notice it because there is still nothing to it that makes it stand out from the Playstation 2.

What would stand out, however, is Nintendo releasing all their new titles with similar ones from previous consoles, as bonus discs, including footage of up and coming games. This promotional material would boost the sales of GameCube games and increase Nintendo's popularity.

Some examples of this would be to include Super Mario 64 with Super Mario 128, 1080 Snowboarding with 1080 Avalanche and Mario Kart 64 with Mario Kart GC. Many people don't realise that the classic games are still fun to play, despite being on the older consoles, and given the chance, I'm sure they would be willing to try them out. With the incentive of getting them for free with top GameCube games, it is bound to work!

Some people are bound to start blabbering on about the cost that would be added into producing these bonus discs for new gaming material, but it is a well known fact that Nintendo aren't actually losing any money on each console unit sold, unlike Microsoft and Sony, who were both making losses on the sales of consoles when they were priced up as £299.99. So I am sure it wouldn't be of any loss to Nintendo to actually start productively promoting their games with these special bonuses!

After all, who could do it any better? Nintendo have such a long history in the field of gaming that they could easily find a previous game they have created to be ported in addition to a new release. For example, instead of releasing F-Zero X with F-Zero GC, why not release the Super Nintendo edition of F-Zero. That way, the games aren't too similar, and it isn't likely that it will be ported to the Game Boy Advance anyway seeing as an F-zero game based on it has already been released since June 2001.

Nintendo have an opportunity for improving their business figures, if only for the European market. Lets hope they take it (even though we know they wont).

Remember - Twice the fun for the price of one!
Wed 05/03/03 at 23:19
Regular
It's a great idea... Nintendo are re-releasing old NES games in Animal Crossing games (downloadable NES games in the online version?)... re-releasing SNES games on the GBA and N64 ones free with the Gamecube?

Possible although in a recent roundtable with Miyamoto he was asked this question and he responded with it could well happen but there isn't any plans at the moment.

Animal Crossing free in Europe with Animal Crossing 2.
Tue 04/03/03 at 13:52
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
It's a good idea.

Personally however, I have EVERY decent game worth getting apart from Excitebike 64. So I have no need of such things.
Tue 04/03/03 at 13:43
Regular
"# most wanted #"
An excellent idea and one I am sure would be appreciated by all - even those who bought the original N64 titles at full price
Heck - there were some titles I was semi-interested in but not enough to part with £40 - be nice to get a chance to play these titles now as a freebie
Howsabout sending a brief to Nintendo to see if they latch on to the idea
Let's face it - they need something to boost sales of the Cube
Could this be it ?
Tue 04/03/03 at 12:59
Regular
It would be great to see 'Super Mario Allstars 2 + Super Mario X' (new game for the next Nintendo console) in 2005/6 :)
Tue 04/03/03 at 12:49
Regular
"Long time no see!"
It's a great idea, and it's one that'd probably kick-off right-away with Nintendo fans if classic adventures from that same franchise were to be released with the latest installment of the series.

Perhaps in a future Mario game, we could even get Mario RPG?!?
Who knows...

But I think just limitting this to ONLY N64 games would be a bad thing to do. Why not include unlockable SNES and NES classics, too?
I like the Metroid idea; how you can get the NES version of the game completing Metroid Fusion and linking it up with 'Prime.
I'd love to see more ideas like this, aswell as perhaps more Zelda-style ones.

But perhaps it could be a bad thing if it happened too-many-times, to almost every-single Nintendo franchise?
We could soon get bored of it quite easily, I reckon - especially if many of us have already played these games, and felt that once-is-enough.

But if a Fire Emblen game does come out on the GameCube, in Europe, then perhaps Nintendo could hide-away one of the 'older' Fire Emblen games that we've never seen before, on that disc somewhere, too?
That's the kind of idea I think would really work - giving us games only the Japanese have seen before - just like Ura Zelda.

And I think it's too-early for another 'Mario All-Stars'-style package. We need 2-or-3 more Mario games after Mario 64, yet.
Sat 01/03/03 at 16:37
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
The only time I ever felt cheated really with the N64 was when I bought Body Harvest the day it came out for 45 quid then a little while later it was reduced to like 20 due to poor sales.

Wasn't Resident Evil on the Cube 45 quid too? I'd fee cheated about that too as it was reduced to like 25 after a while wasn't it?
Sat 01/03/03 at 15:06
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I got Zelda for £50. I'm getting it again with WW.

Because its the best game ever. I'm not being cheated, I think.

And many of the games, I haven't played. And I only ever payed a £10 for Mario 64. Bargain. I'm not complaining, as you get a brand new game too.
Sat 01/03/03 at 14:12
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
behind in sales. ahead in profit. I know.
Sat 01/03/03 at 13:29
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Cheap = I can understand.

Free = no.

But, hey, it's just my opinion.
Sat 01/03/03 at 13:17
Regular
I wouldn't feel cheated over that.

I would feel more cheated if I bought a Playstation 2 game - then a week later it was re-released as a Platinum title.

The fact is, if you look hard enough, Nintendo 64 titles can be bought for less than fiver now, including Turok: Dinosaur Hunter which originally retailed at £70.

It is an inevitable fact that games prices will lower as newer games get released - so you can't really say you feel cheated if after a number of years since you bought a game in particular, that same game is sold on the cheap, or given away free.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.