GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A free game with every game..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 28/02/03 at 20:31
Regular
If only that were the case all the time. Buy one game at near enough full price and get another free. After all, that's what were getting when we recieve our copies of The Wind Waker, the latest Legend of Zelda game, which to our luck has a copy of Ocarina of Time and the Double-D add-on game with it at no extra cost! But why would Nintendo benefit in doing similar bonus discs with other own-brand titles?

When you think how poorly the Nintendo 64 really did fare up against the likes of the Playstation many years ago, it shouldn't suprise you to hear of many gamers who never actually got a chance to play top Nintendo 64 titles, or who have done, but never for longer than the times they spent at a friend's house. So, take all those people into consideration, and add the possibility that many of them would have wanted to have a chance of owning them, but couldn't afford a Nintendo 64 at the time, and you've got a big opportunity to make big money on the GameCube!

Although Nintendo still have the biggest profits in the gaming market, their flagship unit, the GameCube, is still miles behind the Playstation 2 in terms of sales, despite Special Reserve reporting that sales of the GameCube recently beat the Playstation 2 and Xbox. There are plenty of people out there looking for a new console to play, and the GameCube is sitting their right before their eyes in retail outlets all across the country, yet the gamers don't seem to notice it because there is still nothing to it that makes it stand out from the Playstation 2.

What would stand out, however, is Nintendo releasing all their new titles with similar ones from previous consoles, as bonus discs, including footage of up and coming games. This promotional material would boost the sales of GameCube games and increase Nintendo's popularity.

Some examples of this would be to include Super Mario 64 with Super Mario 128, 1080 Snowboarding with 1080 Avalanche and Mario Kart 64 with Mario Kart GC. Many people don't realise that the classic games are still fun to play, despite being on the older consoles, and given the chance, I'm sure they would be willing to try them out. With the incentive of getting them for free with top GameCube games, it is bound to work!

Some people are bound to start blabbering on about the cost that would be added into producing these bonus discs for new gaming material, but it is a well known fact that Nintendo aren't actually losing any money on each console unit sold, unlike Microsoft and Sony, who were both making losses on the sales of consoles when they were priced up as £299.99. So I am sure it wouldn't be of any loss to Nintendo to actually start productively promoting their games with these special bonuses!

After all, who could do it any better? Nintendo have such a long history in the field of gaming that they could easily find a previous game they have created to be ported in addition to a new release. For example, instead of releasing F-Zero X with F-Zero GC, why not release the Super Nintendo edition of F-Zero. That way, the games aren't too similar, and it isn't likely that it will be ported to the Game Boy Advance anyway seeing as an F-zero game based on it has already been released since June 2001.

Nintendo have an opportunity for improving their business figures, if only for the European market. Lets hope they take it (even though we know they wont).

Remember - Twice the fun for the price of one!
Fri 28/02/03 at 20:31
Regular
If only that were the case all the time. Buy one game at near enough full price and get another free. After all, that's what were getting when we recieve our copies of The Wind Waker, the latest Legend of Zelda game, which to our luck has a copy of Ocarina of Time and the Double-D add-on game with it at no extra cost! But why would Nintendo benefit in doing similar bonus discs with other own-brand titles?

When you think how poorly the Nintendo 64 really did fare up against the likes of the Playstation many years ago, it shouldn't suprise you to hear of many gamers who never actually got a chance to play top Nintendo 64 titles, or who have done, but never for longer than the times they spent at a friend's house. So, take all those people into consideration, and add the possibility that many of them would have wanted to have a chance of owning them, but couldn't afford a Nintendo 64 at the time, and you've got a big opportunity to make big money on the GameCube!

Although Nintendo still have the biggest profits in the gaming market, their flagship unit, the GameCube, is still miles behind the Playstation 2 in terms of sales, despite Special Reserve reporting that sales of the GameCube recently beat the Playstation 2 and Xbox. There are plenty of people out there looking for a new console to play, and the GameCube is sitting their right before their eyes in retail outlets all across the country, yet the gamers don't seem to notice it because there is still nothing to it that makes it stand out from the Playstation 2.

What would stand out, however, is Nintendo releasing all their new titles with similar ones from previous consoles, as bonus discs, including footage of up and coming games. This promotional material would boost the sales of GameCube games and increase Nintendo's popularity.

Some examples of this would be to include Super Mario 64 with Super Mario 128, 1080 Snowboarding with 1080 Avalanche and Mario Kart 64 with Mario Kart GC. Many people don't realise that the classic games are still fun to play, despite being on the older consoles, and given the chance, I'm sure they would be willing to try them out. With the incentive of getting them for free with top GameCube games, it is bound to work!

Some people are bound to start blabbering on about the cost that would be added into producing these bonus discs for new gaming material, but it is a well known fact that Nintendo aren't actually losing any money on each console unit sold, unlike Microsoft and Sony, who were both making losses on the sales of consoles when they were priced up as £299.99. So I am sure it wouldn't be of any loss to Nintendo to actually start productively promoting their games with these special bonuses!

After all, who could do it any better? Nintendo have such a long history in the field of gaming that they could easily find a previous game they have created to be ported in addition to a new release. For example, instead of releasing F-Zero X with F-Zero GC, why not release the Super Nintendo edition of F-Zero. That way, the games aren't too similar, and it isn't likely that it will be ported to the Game Boy Advance anyway seeing as an F-zero game based on it has already been released since June 2001.

Nintendo have an opportunity for improving their business figures, if only for the European market. Lets hope they take it (even though we know they wont).

Remember - Twice the fun for the price of one!
Fri 28/02/03 at 20:37
Regular
"gsybe you!"
It would be an ideal plan for Nintendo, as like you said, neither of the other two have quite the history to them.

These extra free games (no matter what they were) could really help sales. After all, an average monkey sees 'free' and runs to get, no matter what.

Okay, that was a generalisation, but you know what I mean. :)

To be quite honest, it would give us all old classics to play, and gives the newer user the history to Nintendo, and the new classics being made.

Who loses?

Good post.
Fri 28/02/03 at 20:48
Regular
You could be on to something here Edgy. And why stop with Zelda? How about releasing the N64 versions of Mario Golf/Tennis etc to the newer games. I know having old N64 classics playable on Gamecube would be simply great.

Although it could ensure higher game prices, Nintendo could give us a choice - I know I'd be willing to pay and extra £5-£10 to get Special Editions of games featuring previous incarnations. It could even give rise to DVD-style 'extras'.

Mmm, I feel a post coming on...
Fri 28/02/03 at 20:51
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I think Edgy might be credited with it though.

:)

Mario Tennis/Golf/Kart/64/RPG... (maybe) - All Stars even?!

And so on.

Could rule.
Fri 28/02/03 at 20:56
Regular
"Remember me?"
RM18 wrote:
> You could be on to something here Edgy...

And inspired by my blatherings on MSN last night on how Nintendo should release Majora's Mask as a bonus disc with the next Gamecube Zelda game (if it happens), no doubt.
Fri 28/02/03 at 20:59
Regular
Come on guys, there's no such thing as an original idea...
Fri 28/02/03 at 21:06
Regular
I've had this topic in mind for many weeks now. That conversation we had last night (sounds sexy) just reminded me of it.

And so, this topic is the end product of my hope of seeing Super Mario 64 on the GameCube and the reminder by Dark Mark that it would be nice to see Majora's Mask on the 'Cube.

As for the original ideas thing. I owe Nintendo some credit for existing and having the idea of releasing Ocarina of Time on the GameCube in the first place. :P
Fri 28/02/03 at 23:18
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
This is a very good idea.

I can think of many N64 games I'd like to have playable on my GameCube - Maro Kart 64, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, F-Zero X, 1080, ISS98 in ISS3 (now that would be amazing).
Sat 01/03/03 at 11:20
Regular
Ah, if only we still had Rare

Then they could release an updated version of Goldeneye or Perfect Dark with Perfect Dark 0

*sigh*
Sat 01/03/03 at 12:32
Regular
If Free Radical (the guys who originally created Goldeneye) managed to get a hold of the rights to the game - then a re-release of Goldeneye 007 on the GameCube could be possible.

But there's more chances of Martians attacking us at 7:32pm tonight.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.