GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"It's in your hands"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 02/01/02 at 16:44
Regular
Lets face it out of all the peripherals ever made the most important is and always will be the controller. The N64 revolutionized the controller market, yes it is old ideas implemented in a different way but it was revolutionary the Rumble pack and Analogue stick idea helped create Sony’s Duel Shock controller. Now a controller is important, I feel that they need to evolve from console to console in order to progress the world of gaming. I was a bit disappointed in the PS2 one it felt like I was playing an older system but despite this the new analogue features on the buttons is evidence of gaming progressing.

The Gamecube controller is said to be brilliant, many claim it to be too similar to the Duel shock (whilst to me it looks like the Virtual Boy Controller) but it has nice bulky buttons so not to cause havoc, it has gone through many stages of development to make sure it suits all regions. For the small handed Japanese and the large handed Americans and it works beautifully.

Then again I would say that I’m a Nintendo fan (although I must say the Duel Shock pad is damn good) but I don’t like big controllers. The X-box I have heard is designed for gaming in the long run and feels a bit odd to play with. Some say (mainly the big handed Americans) that it is great to hold others such as the Japanese and the Europeans claim its very uncomfortable Channel 4 show Thumb Bandits say the controller is a bit “Dodgy”. And this is what I thought of the Dreamcast pad. There have been many opportunities for me to get a Dreamcast but one thing that has always put me off is the bleeding Controller.

It’s big its bulky and it hurts and with two VMU’s in its also damn heavy, so when I got my Dreamcast I was apprehensive to say the least to how the system felt. But despite it initial aches I soon got into it and despite the oddly placed Start button I learnt to love it and with the duel trigger buttons I was quite impressed it had taken many ideas from other controllers and mixed them in and out it comes. I was impressed and even now I think it is a brilliant piece of kit.

So all this moaning about the X-box is it just because of a preliminary playing, it may feel odd to start with but could it turn out to be the best one out of them all? The new controller will be interesting to see how it progresses and my American owning X-box friend says it feels perfect. So could one of you tell us after playing the X-box for a few days if the fear of a bulky, uncomfortable controller true? Or are these uncomfortable problems due to only a few hours play?

Nevertheless it should really be one you can just pick up and play, so it feels fine from the off, it is difficult to get it right this might be one reason why Sony wasn’t willing to alter the design for the next generation.

Here’s to the future.

Dringo.
Thu 03/01/02 at 03:00
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
[02:51:32] back me up
[02:51:35] NOW!

Okey.

It probably isn't perfect, and I'm sure there are things that could be done to make it better - however, I've never noticed it lacking in any area, it's always felt solid and comfortable, and I can't think of any ways to improve it off the top of my head. It does the job, and feels fine, so why bother changing it?

I haven't held a GC or xbox controller yet, but I'm sureI'd adapt to any of them through an extended period of playing, lots of problems with ergonomics are just initial reactions.
Thu 03/01/02 at 02:50
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
What's so wrong with it?

It feels great. I played GT3 for 12 hours without once feeling any strain. It has more buttons that a lot of other controllers. The analog sticks are very well positioned and are precision. You can get at all the buttons OK. They've very sensibly laid out. The analog buttons are a treat, and when used properly, are a godsend. Some cars in GTA3 would be impossible to handle without them.

All in all, what more could you possibly want from a controller? I can't think of much.
Thu 03/01/02 at 00:13
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
It's just so basic.

You release a new console, you release new controllers to go with it.

You don't re-sell an old idea with minimal change. It's just quite pathetic.
Thu 03/01/02 at 00:05
Regular
Why mess with perfection????

Because we are in the 128 bit era now not the 32 bit yeah perfect for the last generation maybe but as the console improves so should the console and Dual shock can be improved.
Wed 02/01/02 at 23:55
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> New controller for the new generation is how it should
> be.

Why mess with perfection?

PERFECTION? I thought it was agreed that perfection was a falacy? And the PS1 dual shock controller was FAR from perfection. It still doesn't justify SOME form of improvement.
Wed 02/01/02 at 23:53
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Dringo wrote:
> New controller for the new generation is how it should be.

Why mess with perfection?
Wed 02/01/02 at 23:36
Regular
Well said Ortega at last a reason for backwards compatability being a problem. Hope you don't mind if i use it.
Wed 02/01/02 at 23:32
Regular
New controller for the new generation is how it should be.
Wed 02/01/02 at 23:26
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
I think it's probably very true that Sony designed the Dual Shock 2 controller with backwards compatibility in mind, but why should the PS2 have been held back by it's predeccessor?

Anyone who is bothered by the backwards compatibility will obviously already own PS1 controllers and could have used them.

There's no reasonable explanation for not designing a completely new controller other than a lack of effort or investment.
Wed 02/01/02 at 23:22
Regular
One of the reasons that sony didnt change the design of the controller may be due to the backwards capability with Psone games. Makes it a damn sight easier to play the old games with same pad.

Or maybe sony just coudnt be bothered, they did incorparate the "harder ya press, the harder the action" buttons...but does anyone actually find this in the slight bit different play playing with a normal Psone pad? I aint noticed much use for it. Maybe a bit in driving games like GTA3 and GT3 but still nothing special.

I never liked the Dual shock pad anyway. I only own a PS2 for Pro evolution soccer. If this game came out for Gamecube i would sell my PS2 straight away.

Anyway back to the Dual shock, my fingers hurt after about 5 hours play. I dont appreciate this...and never had the same effects after 5 hours play on a N64. I aint the only one with this problem. Apparently in America people complained to sony, and they had to disf out thumb protecters.

Hopefully Sony wont make the PS3 backwards compatible becasue it seems as though it makes the console go a step backwards.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.