GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"It's in your hands"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 02/01/02 at 16:44
Regular
Lets face it out of all the peripherals ever made the most important is and always will be the controller. The N64 revolutionized the controller market, yes it is old ideas implemented in a different way but it was revolutionary the Rumble pack and Analogue stick idea helped create Sony’s Duel Shock controller. Now a controller is important, I feel that they need to evolve from console to console in order to progress the world of gaming. I was a bit disappointed in the PS2 one it felt like I was playing an older system but despite this the new analogue features on the buttons is evidence of gaming progressing.

The Gamecube controller is said to be brilliant, many claim it to be too similar to the Duel shock (whilst to me it looks like the Virtual Boy Controller) but it has nice bulky buttons so not to cause havoc, it has gone through many stages of development to make sure it suits all regions. For the small handed Japanese and the large handed Americans and it works beautifully.

Then again I would say that I’m a Nintendo fan (although I must say the Duel Shock pad is damn good) but I don’t like big controllers. The X-box I have heard is designed for gaming in the long run and feels a bit odd to play with. Some say (mainly the big handed Americans) that it is great to hold others such as the Japanese and the Europeans claim its very uncomfortable Channel 4 show Thumb Bandits say the controller is a bit “Dodgy”. And this is what I thought of the Dreamcast pad. There have been many opportunities for me to get a Dreamcast but one thing that has always put me off is the bleeding Controller.

It’s big its bulky and it hurts and with two VMU’s in its also damn heavy, so when I got my Dreamcast I was apprehensive to say the least to how the system felt. But despite it initial aches I soon got into it and despite the oddly placed Start button I learnt to love it and with the duel trigger buttons I was quite impressed it had taken many ideas from other controllers and mixed them in and out it comes. I was impressed and even now I think it is a brilliant piece of kit.

So all this moaning about the X-box is it just because of a preliminary playing, it may feel odd to start with but could it turn out to be the best one out of them all? The new controller will be interesting to see how it progresses and my American owning X-box friend says it feels perfect. So could one of you tell us after playing the X-box for a few days if the fear of a bulky, uncomfortable controller true? Or are these uncomfortable problems due to only a few hours play?

Nevertheless it should really be one you can just pick up and play, so it feels fine from the off, it is difficult to get it right this might be one reason why Sony wasn’t willing to alter the design for the next generation.

Here’s to the future.

Dringo.
Wed 02/01/02 at 16:44
Regular
Lets face it out of all the peripherals ever made the most important is and always will be the controller. The N64 revolutionized the controller market, yes it is old ideas implemented in a different way but it was revolutionary the Rumble pack and Analogue stick idea helped create Sony’s Duel Shock controller. Now a controller is important, I feel that they need to evolve from console to console in order to progress the world of gaming. I was a bit disappointed in the PS2 one it felt like I was playing an older system but despite this the new analogue features on the buttons is evidence of gaming progressing.

The Gamecube controller is said to be brilliant, many claim it to be too similar to the Duel shock (whilst to me it looks like the Virtual Boy Controller) but it has nice bulky buttons so not to cause havoc, it has gone through many stages of development to make sure it suits all regions. For the small handed Japanese and the large handed Americans and it works beautifully.

Then again I would say that I’m a Nintendo fan (although I must say the Duel Shock pad is damn good) but I don’t like big controllers. The X-box I have heard is designed for gaming in the long run and feels a bit odd to play with. Some say (mainly the big handed Americans) that it is great to hold others such as the Japanese and the Europeans claim its very uncomfortable Channel 4 show Thumb Bandits say the controller is a bit “Dodgy”. And this is what I thought of the Dreamcast pad. There have been many opportunities for me to get a Dreamcast but one thing that has always put me off is the bleeding Controller.

It’s big its bulky and it hurts and with two VMU’s in its also damn heavy, so when I got my Dreamcast I was apprehensive to say the least to how the system felt. But despite it initial aches I soon got into it and despite the oddly placed Start button I learnt to love it and with the duel trigger buttons I was quite impressed it had taken many ideas from other controllers and mixed them in and out it comes. I was impressed and even now I think it is a brilliant piece of kit.

So all this moaning about the X-box is it just because of a preliminary playing, it may feel odd to start with but could it turn out to be the best one out of them all? The new controller will be interesting to see how it progresses and my American owning X-box friend says it feels perfect. So could one of you tell us after playing the X-box for a few days if the fear of a bulky, uncomfortable controller true? Or are these uncomfortable problems due to only a few hours play?

Nevertheless it should really be one you can just pick up and play, so it feels fine from the off, it is difficult to get it right this might be one reason why Sony wasn’t willing to alter the design for the next generation.

Here’s to the future.

Dringo.
Wed 02/01/02 at 17:48
Regular
"everyone says it"
The control is very important once you have brought the console. I wouldn't choose the console because of the control because that would plainly be very silly.

I remember the NES control, thinking it was actually quite brilliant at a young age,

'cor wow, press B and Mario jumps!'

I wondered how the console knew thatyou were pressing B, I remember at the age of 4 trying to trick the Nintendo console but no, probably to clever for me!

Moving on, I really loved the official SNES Nintendo controller, I had about 7 different controllers for the SNES in total. At one point this was only trying to achieve the world record in mariokart. I used 'ShockPads', 'SNESJOYSTICKS' and even the 3rd party controllers which cut my hand. Heh.
However, it was the SNES controller I go the time with, thats the one I loved best.

When I saw the Nintendo64 controller for the first time I was a little worried, it looked like it was from the future and could probably hover and fly. I went round to a neighbours, that was my first go on an N64. WaveRace and Mario felt lush with this controller. Your hands, no matter where placed on the three outpoints would fit so nicely.

It really changed the way you play the game, every controller I had... I can back this up by using my Playstation controllers on my Dreamcast. Let me see, it really makes a difference. Its like you have gotten used to that game, console and controller as a package. Moving an element out is plain silly. However, I am still very impressed with the DreamCast controller, it is a lovely thing to use.

Playstations controller is dated now, I don't like it even though I used to, I have to use it to play so many games, I look at it when the game is loading and try to think something else which is wrong about it.... however, it was very nice in its time. Shame there was no major redesign for the Playstation2--Sony just couldnt be arsed!

One more thing I most mention on the subject of controllers is the terrible 3rd and Unoffical released controllers, they are horrible, my guess would be that when the main companies have left over plastic from their official controllers they send the remains to these 3rd party factories. Allowing them to make somesort of weapon which is just plain crap. Save your money people. Stick to official.

Oh yeah... what about the XBox's controller.... well I had the great luck of not holding one about two months ago, I reckon if I tried, I would still be there trying to work out where my hands go. The Box's controller is a mix between the 64's, PS's and the Dreamcasts, inflated by 'heavy oxygen' then left to cool off... the result.. something which is terrible to play games with. It might make a difference to you wanting an XBox as your second console... it has mine.

Gaming is on a stage... what is behind the curtain?

Thanks
er-no
Wed 02/01/02 at 18:01
"You love us!"
Been playing the offices XBox for a while now and i must say the Controller is terrible! it's kinda' like a Sidewinder PC controller (on which the original design was based) and the DC's controller.
it feels like a brick and anyone who has ever used one of Microsofts Sidewinder pads will testify, it makes controlling your game, errr, shall we say interesting at best!

looking forward to seeing the revised design for the Japan/Euro markets - this is said to be more compact and easier to use. Hopefully this'll be the case as it'd be a shame to have such a promising console spoiled by a poor controller.
Wed 02/01/02 at 18:54
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Revised design for the Japanese market yes, being a little smaller. But for the European market It is supposed to be the same as the US version.
Wed 02/01/02 at 20:21
DC controllers rule
Wed 02/01/02 at 22:45
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
You have to wonder why Sony didn't update their controller. There weren't really enough significant changes (none at all actually [aside from the analogue]) to make it a worthy partner to the PS2 system.

SURELY, they could have invested a little more time in a new controller?
Wed 02/01/02 at 23:22
Regular
One of the reasons that sony didnt change the design of the controller may be due to the backwards capability with Psone games. Makes it a damn sight easier to play the old games with same pad.

Or maybe sony just coudnt be bothered, they did incorparate the "harder ya press, the harder the action" buttons...but does anyone actually find this in the slight bit different play playing with a normal Psone pad? I aint noticed much use for it. Maybe a bit in driving games like GTA3 and GT3 but still nothing special.

I never liked the Dual shock pad anyway. I only own a PS2 for Pro evolution soccer. If this game came out for Gamecube i would sell my PS2 straight away.

Anyway back to the Dual shock, my fingers hurt after about 5 hours play. I dont appreciate this...and never had the same effects after 5 hours play on a N64. I aint the only one with this problem. Apparently in America people complained to sony, and they had to disf out thumb protecters.

Hopefully Sony wont make the PS3 backwards compatible becasue it seems as though it makes the console go a step backwards.
Wed 02/01/02 at 23:26
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
I think it's probably very true that Sony designed the Dual Shock 2 controller with backwards compatibility in mind, but why should the PS2 have been held back by it's predeccessor?

Anyone who is bothered by the backwards compatibility will obviously already own PS1 controllers and could have used them.

There's no reasonable explanation for not designing a completely new controller other than a lack of effort or investment.
Wed 02/01/02 at 23:32
Regular
New controller for the new generation is how it should be.
Wed 02/01/02 at 23:36
Regular
Well said Ortega at last a reason for backwards compatability being a problem. Hope you don't mind if i use it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.