GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Status: Online"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 01/01/02 at 19:03
Regular
To me, consoles have only been around for about 10 years or so. I was late onto the scene buying a Sega Megadrive a year after release. However, since then, I’ve had a keen interest in following new and improved consoles to the frontiers they offer. Everything from graphical improvements to link play options with two playstations seemed interesting prospects, and having tried and tested many of these features, I now know that they have been worth looking in to. Each step has been fairly small though, sometimes as trivial as adapting to the new “J-Cart” that allowed 4 players on Micro Machines Turbo Tournament by plugging in two extra controllers directly into the cartridge itself. Other small steps have been the transition to CDs, and of course peripherals such as memory cards.

With the arrival of next generation consoles, consumers have always matched the evolutionary pace. However I am uncertain that this trend will be maintained with the arrival of online gaming on consoles. The ability to take part in an online game is already available on PCs. Numerous times I have heard friends telling me how amazing it is to play Unreal Tournament against a group of people you do not know, and will probably never meet. The question is, “Will this work on consoles?”

It has been quite interesting to watch each of the new consoles and how they look at online gaming. Nintendo and Sony have taken different views, unsurprisingly, each one convinced it is going in the right direction. Sony long ago decided that online gaming was the way to go, and have been heading in this direction from the start. Whilst they may not yet have released all the online equipment for us to get started, their plans are well underway to getting the Sony world online. In complete contrast, Nintendo have decided to keep going in the traditional console direction. Their new Gamecube is a gaming machine, for games, and games alone. They intend to provide the best choice for pure and simple gaming fun. Whilst perhaps this makes Nintendo seem afraid of progress, at least it shows that like Sony, they are willing to put forward a point of view and stick with it.

The weakest of the group seems to be Microsoft. With not a single original thought in their heads, it seems the console is destined to follow in the footsteps of any of the other consoles it can keep up with. This slightly unfair method has actually given them strength though. Wherever they decide they should follow, they always ensure that when they do, they do it with a lot more money. Wherever there is a promising footprint left by Sony or Nintendo, Microsoft find a bigger boot and step on the original print, claiming it as their own. Despite being the last console to announce its online decisions, it is suggesting it is the first console to go online. By releasing the console fully equipped from the box, Microsoft managed to claim they were the first online. However, how many reports have you heard about Microsoft’s online success? I haven’t heard a single thing, suggesting perhaps they got stuck in a little early.

This will seem like a biased view towards Sony, but I truly believe they have taken the most sensible approach. Personally I am unsure about online plans, and it seems Sony take into account that most average gamers are like myself – interested in progress, but a little cautious at first. Rather than dismissing online plans before they have begun like Nintendo, or alternatively hurling themselves at it simply to be there first like Microsoft, Sony have allowed time to let people think about the idea. The Playstation 2 has a compartment in the back that we all know means it can be upgraded. The modem add-ons are at an extra cost, approximately £30, but this is simply so that it can be left as an option, rather than a decision fixed by the manufacturers. It’s a nice gentle way of letting us become accustomed to the idea.

As a Playstation 2 owner, it is perhaps obvious that I would agree with Sony’s tactics, however, as I am uncertain about the future, I am happy to wait until we know more. When (and if) the time comes, I will be happy to switch my consoles status to online, but until then, some serious research needs to be done.
Wed 02/01/02 at 15:23
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
I probably would pay £500 for a console as long as I didn't have to buy any peripherals or future expansion items. It would also be good if it had everything you could want included in it i.e a CD player and a microwave around the back to cook your lunch. This way you would never have to leave your machine for any food reasons. Possibly a toilet expansion pack could be released by Mad Dog - which is a distant possiblity.
Wed 02/01/02 at 15:15
Regular
I dont think many people would pay £499 for a console Wookiee...I certainly woudnt...unless it was a super console.

Future of online console gaming in the UK will depend upon how long it takes for broadband to become more widespread. At the moment it is very expensive here, and the UK is behind many countries in coverage.
Wed 02/01/02 at 14:06
"High polygon count"
I hate looking forward to PS3 while PS2 still has such a long and bright future, but here's what I think...

Personally I hope that PS3 is not backwards-compatible - at least not if it has any impact on the performance of the new machine.

I originally thought that the backwards-compatibility was a great idea. In a way, I still do - no doubt it encouraged many people with a PlayStation to get a PS2. But I have to be honest, apart from the first few months of owning a PS2 I've never played a PSone game on it. I traded in most of my PSone game collection, and have only kept the 'classic' series - the Resident Evil's, Gran Turismo's and Tomb Raider's.

There's no doubt that PS3 will be an immensely powerful machine, but I hope Sony make the machine strong enough in all areas that people want it for itself, not so that they can keep playing their PS2 games.

In the same way that Nintendo have learned from Sony regarding ease of coding, developer support etc., I hope that Sony learn from both Nintendo and Microsoft.

For example, we know that the PS2 can anti-alias - but it is rarely used effectively. I'd like them to have a simple, hardware anti-aliasing system where the developer just has to switch it on or off and not worry about it again. More hardware lightsourcing would be great, and obviously more graphics and system RAM. There are many games which show that RAM isn't really an issue on PS2, but the one thing anyone familiar with the workings of computers will tell you is that you can never, ever have too much RAM.

I can't see it happening, but I would like Sony to try and break the back of the other console pitfall - expensive software. We know that consoles are sold at a loss and the real money is made from the game sales; I'd like Sony to change that by selling the console at a profit and abolishing license fees, so that games are at least the same price as the PC versions, or maybe cheaper. It would be a very bold move - and surely with no license fees to pay, developers would be even keener on developing for the platform?

I've a feeling I'll be in a minority, but I would personally be happy to pay more for the console initially if the games were, say £24.99 to £29.99 each - in fact, if the machine was good enough, I'd be willing to pay upto £499.

As developers seem highly reluctant to include the necessary code (can you hear me, Capcom?), I'd like a hardware 50Hz/60Hz option in there too.

Proper DVD playback would be a must - none of this green-screen nonsense they've caused with PS2.

Oh, and no... PS3 having just two controller ports wouldn't bother me in the slightest! :-)

Got to go to a meeting now... more later, if I remember...
Wed 02/01/02 at 13:26
uk_vamp wrote:
i'm renting tony hawk
> tomorrow and i'm gunna try my USB modem and keyboard on it so i'll let you know
> what thats like.

Please do (and what's the modem?).

Cheers.
Wed 02/01/02 at 00:58
Regular
uk_vamp wrote:
oh and consoles have been around for about 20+ years now
> mate :) 1980 something was the first i think

Which is why ssxpro wrote:

>To me, consoles have only been around for about 10 years...

Before that, I`d never seen a console, let alone played on one. I had had a few goes on old BBC computers, and some little handheld racing games (those with only one game, and no change, similar to arcades, but small and in the house).

My first console experiences were about 1990, possibly a little before, and on the old Megadrive.
Wed 02/01/02 at 00:51
Regular
"Maximum Homerdrive"
i think if PS2 does go online it should be like tony hawk 3 and let you select your isp

waiting for PS3 is stupid i mean all i think there saying that is PS3 games will all have some sort of online support.

i'm renting tony hawk tomorrow and i'm gunna try my USB modem and keyboard on it so i'll let you know what thats like.

oh and consoles have been around for about 20+ years now mate :) 1980 something was the first i think
Wed 02/01/02 at 00:46
Regular
"Sally On Weekdays!"
Geeks used to be an old-fashioned swear word - I believe. Also, what do you classify a geek as KR?

"true. but not enough companies are supporting the net on PS2. i will have to see if they will let me use the BT line at £5.99 a month thing still."

Unfortunately, I doubt that will happen, as the company providing you with the gaming may want a cut out of it, say a £10 subscription fee per month. Then again - everything could go hunky dory.

Ah - I'm off - damn dad, he's making me go to bed. I could be on here all night. Goodnight good people of SR. Mark.
Wed 02/01/02 at 00:42
Regular
That could be the main factor in the online success, support. Without it, obviously things can`t go ahead, but equally importantly, consumers will let support lead to reassurance, and allow themselves to broaden their horizons.
Wed 02/01/02 at 00:24
Regular
true. but not enough companies are supporting the net on PS2. i will have to see if they will let me use the BT line at £5.99 a month thing still.
Wed 02/01/02 at 00:19
Regular
"WWJD"
why would they be geeks? just because they've got a PS2 or because there on the net? thats the same as you and you want have to pay line rental only if you want your separate line for your PS2 which i wouldn't do

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.