GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Capcom vs SNK 2:EO"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 02/03/03 at 12:01
Regular
Just wondering if anyone else is planning to get this - particularly X-Box Live owners ?

I know its 2D but I still enjoy going back to basics and using some of my long time favourite characters such as Ryu from Streetfighter and Kyo from King Of Fighters. :-)
After reading about the Evolution part of it (EO), it looks like my friends who usually shy away from the 2D eat em up will finally be able to play it. I have a couple of friends who weren't keen on this type of game because they could never get to grips with the controls for the special moves.

But now that theres the EO option that can be turned on, they'll be able to hold down a trigger and press a button to do the special moves which they'll be a lot more comfatable with. Me on the other hand - I'll be using the old arcade controls. ;-)

Hopefully the Controller S should be good for the game with its D-Pad, if so then it'll be back to conquering the world for me, well 2D beat em up wise anyway. ;-)
I was never beaten at Streetfighter and King Of Fighters because I played them religeously. But then that was before all the nutcase over the top super special atom bomb unblockable enough to power the entire Earths electricity or wipe out China moves.

In a way this stuff just kicked out any strategy and replaced it with a random win lightshow. Still love the games though. ;-)
Will be fun to put a team together and take them online to kick some butt. ;-)

Also hoping that the old version of Kyo will be in the game with his triple kick and fireball. Hate the crappy 3 punch combo that replaces the fireball ! And the triple kick he does has to be one of the best 2D beat em up moves ever. :-)

At the moment, my team will most likely be along the lines of...
Kyo Kusanagi
Ryu
Yuri Sakazaki

But no doubt I'll also use the likes of Ryo Sakazaki, Kim Kaphwan and Mai Shiranui too. ;-)
Mon 03/03/03 at 23:14
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
I just found out that the Vietnam war game men of Valour has Xbox Live support! The developers speak about it at gamespot.com, it sounds good.
Tue 04/03/03 at 00:01
"Uzi Lover"
Savatt78 wrote:
> Monkey - think you're using Haohmaru (guy with sword).

That's him.

If hit by his move when you press 'R' (on the Cube) your life gauge will go down quite a bit for a single move. So add that in with the other combos and wahey.

This must be excellent online, damn you all.
Tue 04/03/03 at 19:31
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
One thing I noticed with Haohmaru when I played the PS2 version was that he had very little in the way of combos. But he makes up for it with his power when he hits you. ;-)
Used to love playing the Samurai Shodown games on Neo Geo. SNK are the masters of 2D fighting characters in my opinion.
;-)
Sat 08/03/03 at 14:24
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Well I played this a little yesterday with an online session. Now I've played the game on PS2 already so I knew I was gonna like the game. But one thing that had me swearing almost straight away was just how completely sodding dire and useless the X-Box pad's D-pad is for 2D fighting games !
God its bloody awful ! And personally I find analogues too fidelly for 2D fighting games. I also thought I'd try the EO set up. Initially its all well and good, but then the big let down is the basic moves being on the shoulder buttons and varying depending on how hard you press them. So you'll goto throw someone and end up jabbing them - cack.

It was bloody annoying because most fights degenerated more into luck and button bashing than any real skill. I lost a couple of matches and the opponents weren't even all that good, but because the pads are so crap for this type of game, I've ended up a shadow of what I can really do.
But then this goes for the other consoles too - the PS2 D-pad is some sadist that tries to rip the skin off your thumb, while the GC one is against anyone using it but someone with the hands of a 3 year old.
What happened to the Snes D-pad !? That has to be, to this day, THE best D-pad on a controller and yet not only have the other mongoid competitors not picked it up and used it, but Nintendo themselves chucked it out in favour of types like the one we now see on the GC controller.
Ugh ! These companies with all their money and technology, can't come up with a decent D-pad that doesn't suck - how stupid is that !?
Sat 08/03/03 at 14:43
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
I would say controller S would work really well for beat em ups.
Sat 08/03/03 at 14:53
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I tried the controller S - there was very little improvement over the normal pad. Even now its annoying me. My style of playing is all about timing and counter moves, so there little worse then setting someone up for a good hit and then just standing on the spot jabbing the air instead - ugh !

I've yet to try the one player mode, I bet the CPU won't be holding back while I'm struggling to pull the moves off though. Even a pad like the old Neo Geo CD would be great for this game. I'm praying that someone will release a pad with a decent D-pad very soon.
Sat 08/03/03 at 14:55
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
If your serious about the game, buy an arcade stick.
Sat 08/03/03 at 15:00
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
But I've never liked the arcade sticks for 2D fighters. :-( I prefer D-Pads (when they're half decent).
Sat 08/03/03 at 19:41
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Savatt78 wrote:
> But I've never liked the arcade sticks for 2D fighters. :-( I
> prefer D-Pads (when they're half decent).

Savatt78 - If your up for a game, I'd be more than obliging. Me' gamertag is Bleeders.
Sat 08/03/03 at 20:51
Regular
"Gtag=NOTORIOUS JCP"
i hate the s pad

its that small it cramps your hands.

i prefer the ordinary one over it any day, the only thing that is better about the s pad than the normal pad is the black and white buttons are positioned better

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.