GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Word of the week 04.03.2003"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/03/03 at 14:22
Regular
As a fervent drumroll breaks, I hereby announce that this week's "Word of the Week" is:

os·ten·si·ble

adj.
Represented or appearing as such; ostensive: His ostensible purpose was charity, but his real goal was popularity.

Basically, use where someone is masking their true intentions by acting as something else.

For example, Top Score ostensibly applauds the success of the PS2, but his actual intention is to seek approval for the validity of his purchase.

Use it, now.
Tue 04/03/03 at 18:10
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I'm quite impressed with my own rhyming slang.
Cat Slaters now means goodbye.
Genius.
Tue 04/03/03 at 18:06
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
The English language is being abused into different forms daily. Really they speak American, or Australian, or Canadian, or whatever, I speak Essex-with-intelligence and IB speaks Holier-than-thou.

English barely exists.
Tue 04/03/03 at 18:05
Regular
"bit of a brain"
English (U.K.) is what it says in Word.
They do it, don't get too angry because of the blind stupidity and ignorance of others.
Tue 04/03/03 at 18:02
Regular
Look, there is no such thing as British English, or English (UK).

There is English, and there is US English.

I actually threw The Sims out of the window when it gave me the option of installing in English or English (UK).

That and it's a completely crap game.
Tue 04/03/03 at 16:37
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Even though Word does contain an English (UK) option for autospellcheck.
Tue 04/03/03 at 15:22
Regular
I wasn't trying to create a "hate MS link" - absolutely not. I was just trying to indicate that MS do make different language versions for other area's (France, Germany, etc, etc), but don't bother with a "British English" option. The fact that Apple can be bothered to do this indicates to me that there is no good reason for MS not to do the same. And finally, don't blame the population of America for a decision made by MS.
Tue 04/03/03 at 15:17
"Darkness, always"
I'm educating the ignorant.

Consider it a good thing when you already know the words =)
Tue 04/03/03 at 15:15
Regular
Bah, knew that one already, used it in an exam just yesterday.

Do another.
Tue 04/03/03 at 15:14
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Yet again, you're being pedantic and missing the point. It's got NOTHING to do with Microsoft so stop trying to create a non-existent link.

I was merely arguing with the Yank stating he can't go round calling exclamation points "exclamation marks" because no-one would understand his pathetic attempts to "Americanise" the English language. Cretinous cur!
Tue 04/03/03 at 15:06
Regular
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Microsoft didn't rewrite the english language for use by a country of
> people who can't spell, they're just following the trend.

Well, they (Microsoft) do German, Italian, and many more languages. It's just that they shafted the Brits. It is down to Microsoft. If they can do the others, why not British English version? On the Mac, you can select loads of languages (including the US and separate Brit English) from the top right of the main menu bar. So it can be done. Stand up for your rights and complain to Microsoft - but don't blame the population of that country for single issue of software which MS could have put right at very low cost.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.