GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Word of the week 04.03.2003"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/03/03 at 14:22
Regular
As a fervent drumroll breaks, I hereby announce that this week's "Word of the Week" is:

os·ten·si·ble

adj.
Represented or appearing as such; ostensive: His ostensible purpose was charity, but his real goal was popularity.

Basically, use where someone is masking their true intentions by acting as something else.

For example, Top Score ostensibly applauds the success of the PS2, but his actual intention is to seek approval for the validity of his purchase.

Use it, now.
Tue 04/03/03 at 14:22
"Darkness, always"
As a fervent drumroll breaks, I hereby announce that this week's "Word of the Week" is:

os·ten·si·ble

adj.
Represented or appearing as such; ostensive: His ostensible purpose was charity, but his real goal was popularity.

Basically, use where someone is masking their true intentions by acting as something else.

For example, Top Score ostensibly applauds the success of the PS2, but his actual intention is to seek approval for the validity of his purchase.

Use it, now.
Tue 04/03/03 at 14:30
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
I knew that one! However, I haven't used it much.

Good example, though. I couldn't have put it better myself!

I've got off the phone after having an argument with an American who seems to think this (!) is an "exclamation point" and not an "exclamation mark"

Bloody heathen.
Tue 04/03/03 at 14:34
Regular
exclamation point or exclamation mark, does it really make that much difference? What I mean is, we all understand it - which ever way you type it/say it.
Tue 04/03/03 at 14:38
"Darkness, always"
it's an exclamation mark.

What right does an american have to try to point holes in a language they themselves have utterly bastardised?
Tue 04/03/03 at 14:43
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
A point is an area or something...

Meeting point
Railway point
Point and laugh at Top Score

A mark is something that's marked down...

Marked the paper with a splodge of ink
Exclamation mark
Tue 04/03/03 at 14:44
Regular
Insane Bartender wrote:
> it's an exclamation mark.
>
> What right does an american have to try to point holes in a language
> they themselves have utterly bastardised?

Well, some might say it's a kinda separate thing now. On my computer, I can switch keyboard layouts from British English to US English (and all the other languages).

Anyway, does it matter? How does this "downgrade" your life? I deal with the 2 versions on an almost daily basis - and I don't have a problem with it, do you?
Tue 04/03/03 at 14:46
"Darkness, always"
Yes, I do. Because the standard Win NT build for our work PCs doesn't include English(UK) and so is constantly trying to correct my spelling in a futile effort to make it all wrong.

The Americans adopted our language, they could at least use it properly. Damned philistines.
Tue 04/03/03 at 14:49
Regular
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Yes, I do. Because the standard Win NT build for our work PCs doesn't
> include English(UK) and so is constantly trying to correct my spelling
> in a futile effort to make it all wrong.
>
> The Americans adopted our language, they could at least use it
> properly. Damned philistines.

That's Microsoft for you. Don't blame an entire nation for the sake of one company.
Tue 04/03/03 at 14:50
"Darkness, always"
Microsoft didn't rewrite the english language for use by a country of people who can't spell, they're just following the trend.
Tue 04/03/03 at 14:53
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Updated wrote:
> exclamation point or exclamation mark, does it really make that much
> difference? What I mean is, we all understand it - which ever way you
> type it/say it.

Do you say "firetruck" instead of "fire engine" or "diaper" instead of "nappy" or "sidewalk" instead of "pavement"?

No, so stop it, you stinking puling fool.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.