GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo's future? Bright."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 30/12/01 at 01:07
Regular
The Nintendo Gamecube was launched in America over a month ago. Despite the crazed ranting from ===SONICRAV---> it went well. The main question on people's minds though asked where were the big name titles. Where was Mario, where was Link, where was a brand new rising Nintendo star.

Well Link was in make up getting a new look and Mario was trapped in a Mansion but despite what you may think there were big names at the Nintendo launch or soon after. One was Smash Brothers, the original Nintendo beat 'em up was a classic now we have a Platform mode, more items, more characters, hundreds of new fresh ideas in fact a good all round title (I've gone into more depth about this before).

Pikmin, there is the new rising Nintendo star. Pikmin was good, very good it was a bit limited but it was great, innovative it was a Real time Strategy working on a console and Nintendo are already planning a sequel. Luigi's mansion wasn't great but it was still a Nintendo game with nice ideas a great graphics and special effects. So whilst Joanna was polishing her gun and Conker was filling up the swear box Nintendo were pushing out top rate titles.

Now I’m going to leave the first and second Party games for a while and move on to Third parties. Now as for Launch the third parties helped Nintendo out a great deal. Sony received an awesome Christmas this year with titles such as SSX Tricky, Devil May Cry, Tony Hawks 3 and Smackdown. Nintendo got the games PS2 fans had been waiting a year for at the very beginning (I could throw in Simpson's Road Rage) of the Gamecube's life a very promising site.

As for next year well it just gets better, Eternal Darkness, Star Fox Adventures, Resident Evil, Mario Sunshine, Sonic and many other big name titles. But we are Europeans and it is the European market that Nintendo will suffer in. Yes SSX Tricky and Tony Hawks 3 came out on the PS2 and Gamecube near each other but in Europe this simply won't be the case. But how advanced will the Gamecube be by then? The designer of Resident Evil (I would say his name if I could spell it) is hoping for an American and European launch to occur shortly after the Japanese launch which is in March. This places an opportunity for Resident Evil as a European Launch title!

Now that would be something but Nintendo's future doesn't rely on a few weeks it relies on the entire system's life span. The Gamecube's future is bright much brighter than Sony's. The N64 was better than the Playstation I will say that honestly, disagree as you will but my response will simply be but the Playstation didn't have any Nintendo games. These games first and second party are very important, I wouldn't care if Nintendo got no third party support the classics the big N produce are enough for any die hard Nintendo fan such as my good self.

This time there is more of Nintendo; Silicon Knights are here from the start, as are Left Field, Retro Studio's and Camelot with HAL working on another title maybe Earthbound. Nintendo themselves have grown in development teams (intelligent systems) as have RARE. These new third parties open up new ranges of Nintendo games. Left Field make sports titles an example of there creativity comes in the form of Excitebike, they are here to work on the Gamecube and give the sports department of Nintendo a huge spring clean, Camelot also like to design a good sport title like Mario Golf and Tennis, Although this is Second Party I still feel I can mention the massive amount of SEGA sports titles appearing on the Gamecube. Camelot is also great at making RPG's (Golden Sun) something the N64 was lacking and they have an RPG in the works. And now I can mention Silicon Knights, a second party horror company for Nintendo???? Eternal Darkness and Too Human are promised from this Capcom rival.

Now Third Parties, Namco a company who aren't big fans of Nintendo, a company that brought a whole 2 title to the N64 have promised a large amount of titles for Nintendo including Soul Calibur 2, Klonoa 2 and Ridge Racer 5. Namco committing so early is a good sign, EA are also committing early and considering they never went near the Dreamcast this is a good sign. Capcom, well that’s a tale in itself but with rumors rife about more exclusive Gamecube titles other than Resident evil are particularly interesting. Nintendo and Capcom have been close for sometime with Capcom working on the Zelda Oracle twins and Nintendo's prestigious Mickey Mouse license. Nintendo are also supporting young new companies by offering free money to them.

It all means Nintendo have taken the best bits of the PS2 and stuck them with a bigger and better version of the N64 (or even the SNES...) and we have the greatest games machine around.

I'm not saying the Gamecube will trounce the PS2 and the X-box I’m simply saying that the N64 survived and with it's sequel promising to be many times better will mean the Gamecube will survive much easier. And considering the slip ups Sony made early on I feel able to predict a closer console war this time round.

Here's to the Future

Dringo.
Mon 31/12/01 at 00:39
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> No i said Nintendo will, not Gamecube, Gamecube will reclaim a bit of lost land
> and it will make Nintendo respectable again. Few are expecting much of the Gamecube but
> like the PS1 it will pick up, and when Nintendo have re-established themselves as
> being as good as they were with the SNES they can begin to reclaim what is
> theres.

Better punctuated me thinks.
Mon 31/12/01 at 00:18
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Dringo wrote:
> No i said Nintendo will not Gamecube, Gamecube will reclaim a bit of lost land
> and it will make Nintendo respectable again few are expecting much of it but
> like the PS1 it will pick up and when Nintendo have re-established themselves as
> being as good as they were with the SNES they can begin to reclaim what is
> theres.

Use more full stops!

What does "No i said Nintendo will not Gamecube" mean???

Oh, and what does this post actually mean!??!??!?!? I begins with "no" indicating you disagree with something that I have said???

Sonic
Mon 31/12/01 at 00:02
Regular
No i said Nintendo will not Gamecube, Gamecube will reclaim a bit of lost land and it will make Nintendo respectable again few are expecting much of it but like the PS1 it will pick up and when Nintendo have re-established themselves as being as good as they were with the SNES they can begin to reclaim what is theres.
Sun 30/12/01 at 23:48
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Well, I never said they wouldn't do fine... the GBA is doing enough to keep them in business, and the GC will provide some valuble income.

However, when it comes to reclaiming market share, the GC doesn't do it... whic is what we've been bickering about!

Sonic
Sun 30/12/01 at 23:40
Regular
Nintendo will do fine in fact better than fine stop scare mongering.
Sun 30/12/01 at 23:28
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Dringo wrote:
> Ah but they will when those Aderts arrive, ONLY ON GAMECUBE, can't wait to hear
> that.

Lol... should be good... but by then, who knows what games will be being advertised as "only on Xbox"... and imagine if MS lower their price before next xmas... if they have huge marketting, they could rack up more sales than the PS2!!!

Sonic
Sun 30/12/01 at 23:24
Regular
Ah but they will when those Aderts arrive, ONLY ON GAMECUBE, can't wait to hear that.
Sun 30/12/01 at 22:44
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Well, good points Meka, but one thing I've said is that most gamers won't know that Res Evil is coming onto the GC- after all, if you don't read games mags and sites then how would you!

So, when the GC launches, no one will know about this, and be set a choice of which console to buy.

On one hand they have a £200 PS2 with a huge library of games, and (despite what some say) a far better "brand" than Ninty's kiddy image.

You have the £200 GC. This will appeal greatly to "hardcore" gamers, Ninty fans, and (let's face it) the younger market. But, AT RELEASE it has nothing over the PS2 except that it promises to have some great first party games (Zelda etc) and some excellent exclusives (Res evil series!).... which most people won't realise!

And then there's the £300 Xbox which will have huge marketting, lots of publicity and a strong launch.

OH! And add to that, the GC and Xbox are coming out AFTER xmas, which is when most new consoles are bought anyway!

Sonic
Sun 30/12/01 at 21:41
Regular
Thats what i've beenm trying to say Meka and as for the myth... i've heared it is true, Shigsy said Zelda moves along faster and that he will do Pikmin 2 in 6 months!
Sun 30/12/01 at 21:08
Regular
"not dead"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
The GC SHOULDN'T
> have to comete with the PS2's huge library of games (which has been accumilated
> for over a year), BUT it has to in order to attract gamers.

Which is why the Resident Evil franchise is so important. Many people that already have a PS2 will know that Capcom have put out some great titles that aren't Resi games, but those 'casual gamers', those that don't come on these forums because they're not quite as obsessed as some of us, will still see Resident Evil as one of the better series of games to come to the Playstation.

If they hadn't purchased a Playstation 2 before the announcement, then surely the fact that Resident Evil would be on Gamecube would sway them?

Also, Nintendo have got almost al of the big games, as they're multiformat.

Tony Hawk's helped sell a lot of Playstations in recent years, now you will see it on the shelves for all consoles.

Having EA's big sports titles, and popular franchises like the extreme sports games, or Namco beat em-up's will not be an advantage, as such, but the fact that they haven't had such games in the past should increase the appeal for the console.

In the past many have bought Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games. Now people may buy a Nintendo console becasue it's the latest thing, cheaper than the Xbox, but they can still play the likes of Tony Hawk's 3 and FIFA.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.