GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo's future? Bright."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 30/12/01 at 01:07
Regular
The Nintendo Gamecube was launched in America over a month ago. Despite the crazed ranting from ===SONICRAV---> it went well. The main question on people's minds though asked where were the big name titles. Where was Mario, where was Link, where was a brand new rising Nintendo star.

Well Link was in make up getting a new look and Mario was trapped in a Mansion but despite what you may think there were big names at the Nintendo launch or soon after. One was Smash Brothers, the original Nintendo beat 'em up was a classic now we have a Platform mode, more items, more characters, hundreds of new fresh ideas in fact a good all round title (I've gone into more depth about this before).

Pikmin, there is the new rising Nintendo star. Pikmin was good, very good it was a bit limited but it was great, innovative it was a Real time Strategy working on a console and Nintendo are already planning a sequel. Luigi's mansion wasn't great but it was still a Nintendo game with nice ideas a great graphics and special effects. So whilst Joanna was polishing her gun and Conker was filling up the swear box Nintendo were pushing out top rate titles.

Now I’m going to leave the first and second Party games for a while and move on to Third parties. Now as for Launch the third parties helped Nintendo out a great deal. Sony received an awesome Christmas this year with titles such as SSX Tricky, Devil May Cry, Tony Hawks 3 and Smackdown. Nintendo got the games PS2 fans had been waiting a year for at the very beginning (I could throw in Simpson's Road Rage) of the Gamecube's life a very promising site.

As for next year well it just gets better, Eternal Darkness, Star Fox Adventures, Resident Evil, Mario Sunshine, Sonic and many other big name titles. But we are Europeans and it is the European market that Nintendo will suffer in. Yes SSX Tricky and Tony Hawks 3 came out on the PS2 and Gamecube near each other but in Europe this simply won't be the case. But how advanced will the Gamecube be by then? The designer of Resident Evil (I would say his name if I could spell it) is hoping for an American and European launch to occur shortly after the Japanese launch which is in March. This places an opportunity for Resident Evil as a European Launch title!

Now that would be something but Nintendo's future doesn't rely on a few weeks it relies on the entire system's life span. The Gamecube's future is bright much brighter than Sony's. The N64 was better than the Playstation I will say that honestly, disagree as you will but my response will simply be but the Playstation didn't have any Nintendo games. These games first and second party are very important, I wouldn't care if Nintendo got no third party support the classics the big N produce are enough for any die hard Nintendo fan such as my good self.

This time there is more of Nintendo; Silicon Knights are here from the start, as are Left Field, Retro Studio's and Camelot with HAL working on another title maybe Earthbound. Nintendo themselves have grown in development teams (intelligent systems) as have RARE. These new third parties open up new ranges of Nintendo games. Left Field make sports titles an example of there creativity comes in the form of Excitebike, they are here to work on the Gamecube and give the sports department of Nintendo a huge spring clean, Camelot also like to design a good sport title like Mario Golf and Tennis, Although this is Second Party I still feel I can mention the massive amount of SEGA sports titles appearing on the Gamecube. Camelot is also great at making RPG's (Golden Sun) something the N64 was lacking and they have an RPG in the works. And now I can mention Silicon Knights, a second party horror company for Nintendo???? Eternal Darkness and Too Human are promised from this Capcom rival.

Now Third Parties, Namco a company who aren't big fans of Nintendo, a company that brought a whole 2 title to the N64 have promised a large amount of titles for Nintendo including Soul Calibur 2, Klonoa 2 and Ridge Racer 5. Namco committing so early is a good sign, EA are also committing early and considering they never went near the Dreamcast this is a good sign. Capcom, well that’s a tale in itself but with rumors rife about more exclusive Gamecube titles other than Resident evil are particularly interesting. Nintendo and Capcom have been close for sometime with Capcom working on the Zelda Oracle twins and Nintendo's prestigious Mickey Mouse license. Nintendo are also supporting young new companies by offering free money to them.

It all means Nintendo have taken the best bits of the PS2 and stuck them with a bigger and better version of the N64 (or even the SNES...) and we have the greatest games machine around.

I'm not saying the Gamecube will trounce the PS2 and the X-box I’m simply saying that the N64 survived and with it's sequel promising to be many times better will mean the Gamecube will survive much easier. And considering the slip ups Sony made early on I feel able to predict a closer console war this time round.

Here's to the Future

Dringo.
Sun 30/12/01 at 01:07
Regular
The Nintendo Gamecube was launched in America over a month ago. Despite the crazed ranting from ===SONICRAV---> it went well. The main question on people's minds though asked where were the big name titles. Where was Mario, where was Link, where was a brand new rising Nintendo star.

Well Link was in make up getting a new look and Mario was trapped in a Mansion but despite what you may think there were big names at the Nintendo launch or soon after. One was Smash Brothers, the original Nintendo beat 'em up was a classic now we have a Platform mode, more items, more characters, hundreds of new fresh ideas in fact a good all round title (I've gone into more depth about this before).

Pikmin, there is the new rising Nintendo star. Pikmin was good, very good it was a bit limited but it was great, innovative it was a Real time Strategy working on a console and Nintendo are already planning a sequel. Luigi's mansion wasn't great but it was still a Nintendo game with nice ideas a great graphics and special effects. So whilst Joanna was polishing her gun and Conker was filling up the swear box Nintendo were pushing out top rate titles.

Now I’m going to leave the first and second Party games for a while and move on to Third parties. Now as for Launch the third parties helped Nintendo out a great deal. Sony received an awesome Christmas this year with titles such as SSX Tricky, Devil May Cry, Tony Hawks 3 and Smackdown. Nintendo got the games PS2 fans had been waiting a year for at the very beginning (I could throw in Simpson's Road Rage) of the Gamecube's life a very promising site.

As for next year well it just gets better, Eternal Darkness, Star Fox Adventures, Resident Evil, Mario Sunshine, Sonic and many other big name titles. But we are Europeans and it is the European market that Nintendo will suffer in. Yes SSX Tricky and Tony Hawks 3 came out on the PS2 and Gamecube near each other but in Europe this simply won't be the case. But how advanced will the Gamecube be by then? The designer of Resident Evil (I would say his name if I could spell it) is hoping for an American and European launch to occur shortly after the Japanese launch which is in March. This places an opportunity for Resident Evil as a European Launch title!

Now that would be something but Nintendo's future doesn't rely on a few weeks it relies on the entire system's life span. The Gamecube's future is bright much brighter than Sony's. The N64 was better than the Playstation I will say that honestly, disagree as you will but my response will simply be but the Playstation didn't have any Nintendo games. These games first and second party are very important, I wouldn't care if Nintendo got no third party support the classics the big N produce are enough for any die hard Nintendo fan such as my good self.

This time there is more of Nintendo; Silicon Knights are here from the start, as are Left Field, Retro Studio's and Camelot with HAL working on another title maybe Earthbound. Nintendo themselves have grown in development teams (intelligent systems) as have RARE. These new third parties open up new ranges of Nintendo games. Left Field make sports titles an example of there creativity comes in the form of Excitebike, they are here to work on the Gamecube and give the sports department of Nintendo a huge spring clean, Camelot also like to design a good sport title like Mario Golf and Tennis, Although this is Second Party I still feel I can mention the massive amount of SEGA sports titles appearing on the Gamecube. Camelot is also great at making RPG's (Golden Sun) something the N64 was lacking and they have an RPG in the works. And now I can mention Silicon Knights, a second party horror company for Nintendo???? Eternal Darkness and Too Human are promised from this Capcom rival.

Now Third Parties, Namco a company who aren't big fans of Nintendo, a company that brought a whole 2 title to the N64 have promised a large amount of titles for Nintendo including Soul Calibur 2, Klonoa 2 and Ridge Racer 5. Namco committing so early is a good sign, EA are also committing early and considering they never went near the Dreamcast this is a good sign. Capcom, well that’s a tale in itself but with rumors rife about more exclusive Gamecube titles other than Resident evil are particularly interesting. Nintendo and Capcom have been close for sometime with Capcom working on the Zelda Oracle twins and Nintendo's prestigious Mickey Mouse license. Nintendo are also supporting young new companies by offering free money to them.

It all means Nintendo have taken the best bits of the PS2 and stuck them with a bigger and better version of the N64 (or even the SNES...) and we have the greatest games machine around.

I'm not saying the Gamecube will trounce the PS2 and the X-box I’m simply saying that the N64 survived and with it's sequel promising to be many times better will mean the Gamecube will survive much easier. And considering the slip ups Sony made early on I feel able to predict a closer console war this time round.

Here's to the Future

Dringo.
Sun 30/12/01 at 01:22
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Well, the American launch was a great coup from Ninty- showing they have what it takes to be a force to be reconed with.

But the fact is that EVERY new console sells out at launch. The PS2, GC, Xbox and even DC did in America... and look what happened to the DC!

Oh, and add to that the fact that the launch in America was supported by huge advertising campaigns- something that will not take place in Europe. AND you forget that in the period between the GC's launch and Christmas, the PS2 sold far more units!

But that main flw with your argument, Dringo, is two fold:

1) You almost neglect that Ninty have competition. The fact is that EVEN NINTY have admitted outright that they will not beat Sony on console sales- their own predicted sales show this! So how can you say "The Gamecube's future is bright much brighter than Sony's," when even Ninty say otherwise! I think you are being a little optomistic there!

In case you were wondering, almost every market analyst (including Ninty's own predictions) say that Ninty will have about 25% of the market, MS will have 30% and Sony will have 45%.

How can you simply dismiss Sony's future like this? The GC has nothing to offer the casual gamer over the PS2- AND the PS2 plays DVDs. Added to that, MS are releasing the Xbox at the same time, and in the US have equaled sales (in fact, I'll get official sales figures 2moro when EDGE arrives).

2) You seem to completely misunderstand what is meant by success... "The N64 was better than the Playstation I will say that honestly, disagree as you will but my response will simply be but the Playstation didn't have any Nintendo games." Errrrr... well, on a purely commercial line, Sony wins outright. In terms of the quality of the console, BOTH had amazing games... Sony had the best sims (like GT), while Ninty had strong first party games (Zelda).

Sonic
Sun 30/12/01 at 01:48
Regular
Sonic I said Nintendo's future is brighter than Sony's not Gamecube's is brighter than PS2's... On the SEGA front remmember SEGA was the biggest at one point.

I also said the Gamecube won't beat the PS2 go on look what I put.
Several Points:

1: I'm not every Ninty (I hate being stereotyped beware of this)

2: Are you aware that Nintendo are changing their entire stratagy by making smaller, more easily accesable games such as the new Zelda, Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion and so forth...

3: Continuing from Number 2 looking at what you ahve written you have failed to mention Nintendo's bold new stratagy to attract more casual gamers which begs another question...

4: Do you know Anything about Nintendo? :D
Sun 30/12/01 at 01:53
Regular
Fancy info on this new stratagy:

http://www.gamesradar.com/features/game_feature_page_511_1.html
Sun 30/12/01 at 02:06
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Dringo wrote:
1: I'm not every Ninty (I hate being stereotyped beware of
> this)

I never said you were... I just said that you were not the average casual gamer who could see beyone the release of a console!

2: Are you aware that Nintendo are changing their entire stratagy by
> making smaller, more easily accesable games such as the new Zelda, Pikmin,
> Luigi's Mansion and so forth...

Odd how that Website you refer me to says NOTHING! The article is 3 pages long, and is the biggest load of rubbish! It just says AGAIN AND AGAIN that ninty games will be "short and sweet"... and that's it! What a waste of my time!

Oh, and Dringo... can you answer my points, rather than just nit pick on a few inferred comments...

You have not talked about how the PS2 STILL has a far better range of games for attracting the casual gamer, dispite everything about shorter ninty games.

Oh, and why have you bothered to set up this topic... clearly just as to make a point... you could have said all this in my Ninty topic, but instead you come here to state why Ninty has a great future.

In my topic, you will notic it ends by saying that everything I say is debatable, and that the whole point is to create discussion... this topic does none of that... all it acheives is to allow a Nintendo fan (oh, and remember, I'm a huge fan of Ninty too), rant on about his optomistic view of the future, when this could be better done in a discussion such as in my topic.

Basically, this topic is a waste of space.

Sonic
Sun 30/12/01 at 02:24
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
"Basically, this topic is a waste of space."

Before someone complains, I apologise completely for saying this... it's 2:30am, and I'm tired!

Anyway, I was trying to say that this topic does not lend itself to debate- it is simply a statement of (Dringo's deluded) facts ;)

Sonic
Sun 30/12/01 at 10:30
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
hmm... I sense some rivalry here...

But Sonic don't you want to play Sonic Adventure 2 battle arena?
(okay, It's just Sonic Adventure 2, but with a few extras, but hey... you love Sonic right?)
Sun 30/12/01 at 12:59
I wouldnt say they are making games smaller on purpose, but as with all launch games, they have a set dead line and have to have the game ready for then, thus it means they are normally shorted and more glitchy than later products.

Althought ninty do seem to be making games fast, like one every few months rather than one BIG game every 2 years or so. Which is nice.
Sun 30/12/01 at 13:02
Regular
===SONICRAV---> wrote:

Odd how that Website you refer me to says NOTHING! The
> article is 3 pages long, and is the biggest load of rubbish! It just says AGAIN
> AND AGAIN that ninty games will be "short and sweet"... and that's it!
> What a waste of my time!

I assumed the article was the same that was written in NGC if it was you would be aware that Nintendo have Driving Sims, shorter more accessable games and a lot more of them to attract casual gamers.

Oh, and Dringo... can you answer my points,
> rather than just nit pick on a few inferred comments...

Nope

You have not talked
> about how the PS2 STILL has a far better range of games for attracting the
> casual gamer, dispite everything about shorter ninty games.

Not for me in fact most of my casual gaming friends who played games until their fingers blead got a PS2 and have completley left gaming, the PS2 appeals to the teenage audience we assume the PS2 is awsome and all casual gamers want them as the console appeals to our age groups so we see all our friends get it, when i talk to my young brother and his friends the number one toy on the market is the Nintendo as they are great fun and better than that stupid PS2. Casual gamers is a stereotype i was a casual gamer before i became this die hard Ninty and i always chose Nintendo as those games appealed to me and my friends.

Nintendo quite successfully cater for teh casual gamer the huge ammount of multiplayer titles are an example of this as one thing i noticed casual gamers like and thats playing with their mates, Mario Party, Smash Brothers, Conker, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Turok Rage Wars, Mario Kart, Quake 2 etc.... are all examples of top rate multiplaying games. The GC looks to continue this and what i wrote up there had nothing to do with your other post other than the title.

Oh, and why have
> you bothered to set up this topic... clearly just as to make a point... you
> could have said all this in my Ninty topic, but instead you come here to state
> why Ninty has a great future.

Yep.

In my topic, you will notic it ends by saying
> that everything I say is debatable, and that the whole point is to create
> discussion... this topic does none of that... all it acheives is to allow a
> Nintendo fan (oh, and remember, I'm a huge fan of Ninty too), rant on about his
> optomistic view of the future, when this could be better done in a discussion
> such as in my topic.

I like writing console war debates but they are all getting old now including your post i have battled against this before i won a game writing a post about it i do belive, what next which console has the best format... Not again when there is a new angle to look at i will look at it.

Basically, this topic is a waste of space.

lol.
Sun 30/12/01 at 14:31
Regular
Off topic ever so slightly, but Dringo, did you see the Nintendo poster thing Europe put up?

Look on Fog for Meka's topic about it, the list of games on the poster is in there.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.