GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Casual gamers are ruinging the industry..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 29/12/01 at 20:45
Regular
...or have already ruined it. I'm sorry but it had to be said. If you look at all the games out now you'll see a big pattern. Mucho football games and driving games, little variation, little quality. I believe the figures are something like 1 in every 5 games is a football game, probably 2 in every 5 is a football or driving game. Why? Because casual gamers don't do their homework.

Developers and publishers know that people like these types of games, and they also know that people buy games on impulse, without reading up on their desired game and finding out if it is as good as the pretty picture on the front. So developers and publishers don't try. They don't have to. They put out a sub-standard game, having one or more of these faults: poor graphics, unresponsive or difficult controls, way too easy, way too hard, terrible gameplay.

The trouble is that the problem could be solved so easily. All it would take is a little time on the part of the gamers who go out, buy the game they have no idea about, play it once, be disappointed, then leave it - never to be played again. Instead of buying the game on impulse, buy a magazine (and a reputable one like Official Playstation Magazine, not the games page in Maxim) and read up on the genre you choose. Make a decision based on the reviews, previews etc, and the general feel of the game that the magazine gives you. Then go out and buy the better games, like Pro Evolution Soccer and GT3, not the one with the flashy cover or whatever caught your eye in the shops.

This would offer a vast improvement to the gaming industry as a whole. Developers and publishers would realise that no one is buying their game, and so would not be able to put out such rubbish onto our shelves. They would either go bust or (heaven forbid) make a good game. This would mean more competition between developers and therefore better games. Games would be more original, have better graphics, better controls, better gameplay. Developers would branch out into new genres, meaning more variation, and again more originality.

So if there are any casual gamers out there who happen to be reading this, I beg you to do some research before you buy games. You are giving everyone less choice and bringing the quality of games down.
Sat 29/12/01 at 20:53
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
I PROTEST!

Some gamers just want a quick go at an arcade game (Crazy Taxi, Burnout etc) whereas others prefer a sim like title (GT3, CM2002 etc). Thus I cannot take your statement lying down.

*begins to sob*
Sat 29/12/01 at 20:46
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
*ruining, sorry.
Sat 29/12/01 at 20:45
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
...or have already ruined it. I'm sorry but it had to be said. If you look at all the games out now you'll see a big pattern. Mucho football games and driving games, little variation, little quality. I believe the figures are something like 1 in every 5 games is a football game, probably 2 in every 5 is a football or driving game. Why? Because casual gamers don't do their homework.

Developers and publishers know that people like these types of games, and they also know that people buy games on impulse, without reading up on their desired game and finding out if it is as good as the pretty picture on the front. So developers and publishers don't try. They don't have to. They put out a sub-standard game, having one or more of these faults: poor graphics, unresponsive or difficult controls, way too easy, way too hard, terrible gameplay.

The trouble is that the problem could be solved so easily. All it would take is a little time on the part of the gamers who go out, buy the game they have no idea about, play it once, be disappointed, then leave it - never to be played again. Instead of buying the game on impulse, buy a magazine (and a reputable one like Official Playstation Magazine, not the games page in Maxim) and read up on the genre you choose. Make a decision based on the reviews, previews etc, and the general feel of the game that the magazine gives you. Then go out and buy the better games, like Pro Evolution Soccer and GT3, not the one with the flashy cover or whatever caught your eye in the shops.

This would offer a vast improvement to the gaming industry as a whole. Developers and publishers would realise that no one is buying their game, and so would not be able to put out such rubbish onto our shelves. They would either go bust or (heaven forbid) make a good game. This would mean more competition between developers and therefore better games. Games would be more original, have better graphics, better controls, better gameplay. Developers would branch out into new genres, meaning more variation, and again more originality.

So if there are any casual gamers out there who happen to be reading this, I beg you to do some research before you buy games. You are giving everyone less choice and bringing the quality of games down.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.