GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"If GCSEs became a video game..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 09/03/03 at 10:06
Regular
I hate school. I'm waiting for the day that I can break free and bagger off to Uni. Until then, though, I'm grounded. And what's worse, is that school is starting to affect my life. Damn it.

Every single day in school I'm reminded of an acronym. This certain four letter word haunts me, it stalks me in my sleep, it lurks around every friggin' corner. That word? GCSE.

Damn the school system. Damn it. The one game I'm actually losing sleep over (slight exaggeration there) is released during the course of revision/ tests. Marvelous. I don't blame Nintendo, no, because everyone else will be playing Zelda on May 3rd, but as for me? A nice couple of hours studying osmosis, or perhaps the Schlieffen plan, or, god forbid, the sine rule.

So then, I must be crazy thinking that GCSEs can be made into a game. No, I'm not wasted (Wish I was, though ;D), I'm annoyed. On one side you have your life. You choose the rules, what you do, what you eat etc. I'm a gamer, therefore I like to play video games. So why the hell am I revising my butt off for some crappy tests? Because it's one of life's many annoyances. If I fail these certain tests, it's the end of the road. No 6th Form, no University, no Job. Magic. Wave goodbye to Gaming, then. And then on the other side I have video games. My favourite pastime will have to be put on 'pause' (Haha) for four or so months. I'll get withdrawal symptoms, I bet.

So then, why not bung them in a pot and mix them together until light and fluffy? What would be the end result?

All GCSE tests would be Video Game orientated. Not only does this mean that we already know so much about the topic that we wouldn't have to do any revision WHATSOEVER, it also means that we now have a reason to play video games. Not bad, then.

But then the other result is what prompted me to start writing this post in the first place. GCSE: The game.

What exactly would this entail then? Well, it's like this. You stick in your disc, let it spin around and then let the fun begin! Or not.

Because not only would this game shift no copies at all, it would be so hideously boring to code that the programmers would actually have a mental breakdown. Not nice at all, then. And another thing: Your actions and test scores will be saved onto memory cards and sent off to edXcel and AQA. The very thought scares me.

Training mode: This is, essentially, revision. Much like Animal Crossing, this would run in real time. The game expects you to be up by 9:00, absorbing information by 10:00, and turning the console off by 17:00. And not only that, using the upcoming GBA camera, the game will record your every move, and then it's beamed directly to school where teachers make sure you're actually doing revision. Why us, eh?

Career Mode: Career mode is, basically, like a Career office, in the sense that from the outcome of the special tests that you take here, your perfect future career will be generated. Great.

GCSE: This is the full-blown thing. This is where the Men are sorted from the boys (and the Women from the girls, too). The FMV sequence plays and you walk to your desk, 'casually' drop your pencil and look up the fit teacher's skirt, before finally reaching your destination. It may be wooden, and it may have metal legs, but boy oh boy, it's one of the most important desks in the world, even if it is wobbly! Because this, my friends, is where you either pass or fail.

You see, I'm constantly reminded of the saying, "It's just a game". No, I don't get aggressive when I lose, and I don't dress up and pretend I'm bulbasaur, it's just that if this game *were* to be made, it wouldn't be "just a game" because it would determine the rest of you life.

It's quite a big burden on your life, really. To be presented with tests that make or break your life is quite scary. Oh how I hate this stupid system.

Multiplayer: Well, essentially, there wouldn't be a multiplayer. Remember, "Communication of any sort is not permitted during the exam". Anyone found entering multiplayer automatically fails. Why do they tempt us, why oh why?

Coursework: For some stupid reason, the programmers decided to allow students to do coursework AFTER the main exams. Must be programmed by EA, then.

You know, I thought I had it bad, but GCSE: The game is much worse. Give me lack of Zelda and four months of revision anyday.

But for now, I guess I'll be OK, well, until Metroid Prime and Sonic Mega collection show up and I'm not allowed to play them. Damn education again.

Excuse me while I go kick the Education minister.

Thanks for reading, if, er, it bears any relevance to Games whatsoever

The even crazier Microchips
Mon 10/03/03 at 19:17
Regular
"The Dwarf's coming"
I found GCSE's harder than A Levels as there is more preassure on you to do well in your GCSE's cos without them you arent going anywhere. A Levels are just another certificate.

In todays world experience is more important than grade, harsh but true. Not saying that getting good grades is worthless though cos without em no one will even look at you for you to get experience.
Mon 10/03/03 at 19:01
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Garlic Bread!? wrote:
> Ahh, GCSE's, AS's, A's, nothing like a good challenge ay?

It's a challenge I'd rather do without, but I really don't have a choice. :)

Anywhoo, thanks for the replies. :)
Mon 10/03/03 at 17:42
Did anyone do STANDARD GRADES? Or just me?
Mon 10/03/03 at 16:01
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Great post mate.

GCSE's suck, but they hold a lot of importance. It could be the difference between you being the next bloke on the dole or the next owner of Microsoft (okay maybe not that far) but who knows.
Mon 10/03/03 at 13:04
Regular
Interesting...

On a side note, I was reading in Metro that some university has started a videogames degree, where you are actually tested on your gamesplaying ability - however, it offers no paths to actually being involved in the creative process of developing actual games.

I would be interested, if it didn't smack of the sort of Mickey Mouse degrees floating around these days with absolutely no relevance to the real world. Still, one can dream...
Mon 10/03/03 at 12:52
"Darkness, always"
If GCSE's ever became a video game, you could complete it without reading the instructions while look away from the screen the entire time and not having a clue what was going on and only beginning to pay attention as you reach the final boss, which happens to be far easier than advertised.
Mon 10/03/03 at 12:49
Regular
"Hallelujah"
Ahh, GCSE's, AS's, A's, nothing like a good challenge ay?
Sun 09/03/03 at 21:42
Regular
"gsybe you!"
HAHAHAHAHAHA!

GCSES.

*wakes up*

AS's. DAMN YOU!

Good stuff.

:)
Sun 09/03/03 at 19:48
Regular
"One More Chance"
Heh, nice topic and idea.

GCSEs are being a real b*tch already and I'm only in Year 10.
Sun 09/03/03 at 18:17
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Oh dear, that was meant to be the weird E that means "Sum of".

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.