GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Upgrade to WinXP?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 28/12/01 at 14:26
Regular
OK.

At home I have Win98, it does fine... but... I don't want to be left too far behind.

Is there anything about WinXP that justifies an upgrade from a perfectly good machine?

Turbonutter, if you tell me to install Linux, why, I'll.. I'll explode dammit!
Fri 28/12/01 at 14:26
OK.

At home I have Win98, it does fine... but... I don't want to be left too far behind.

Is there anything about WinXP that justifies an upgrade from a perfectly good machine?

Turbonutter, if you tell me to install Linux, why, I'll.. I'll explode dammit!
Fri 28/12/01 at 15:31
I have win xp pro installed on my system and the first thing i noticed when installing it was that it found drivers for ALL my hardware except my cable modem but i just installed the win 2000 drivers and it works perfectly, after installing win xp i noticed that the desktop looked very "chubby" and green so i chenged that to look like the original, i found the internet to work faster, it has a built in cd writing software (by roxio the makers of ez cd creator) it is as simple as copieing files to a floppy, but if you like to use a cd writing software the you will need nero version 5.5.5.1 to work with it but it seems quicker and less likely to buffer underun, there are load of addvantages and i havent found one dissadvantage on it yet (unless i wanted to use anything from norton even the 2001 stuff as you need to have the 2002 versions). AND best of all i have never had a crash or a blue screen and i only reboot about once a week.

UPGRADE NOW!

c.b
Fri 28/12/01 at 16:22
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Well you could always intall... :)

It depends what the specs of your machine are. Each new Windows takes up more resources than the first so I've never seen the point in upgrading. There's nothing WinXP really has over Win98 unless your Win98 is either not working or doesn't support the drivers you need. Somehow I doubt either, Plus, there's always the cost issue.

I would never consider "upgrading" my Win98 to WinXP (yes, I do use Windows occasinally) but if someone handed me a copy of Win2K then I might just accept. I suggest you go down to PC worl and ask if you can have a little bug around on one of their XP machines "with a view to upgrade".
Fri 28/12/01 at 20:08
Regular
"YTS Primate"
"I suggest you go down to PC worl "

I tried mate but I cant find PC worl in Yellow Pages.
Fri 28/12/01 at 22:39
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Oh yeah, and I'm sure you've never made a typo in your life.

Look, newbie, I've only read 2 of your posts and you're already pissin' me off. I don't need to be told how to write by some jumped-up JAT who has, by definition, been here less than a day.
Fri 28/12/01 at 22:52
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
Hey Turbo,

Three points I want to make on this subject:

1. Being a newbie, or just arrived, or whatever, doesnt make someone's comments any less worthwhile. Just like being a regular doesnt necessarily make you an expert, either.

2. Sly Fox sounds like someone who's just got back from the pub.

3. I've still not found any good ... no, I'll rephrase that ... any reason to upgrade from Win98. At least decent USB support was a reason to go from Win95 to 98. The problem is already growing in the egg though - its now getting difficult to buy software for Win95, and I guess Win98 will follow. And that's going to be the reason ... when it comes to it.
Fri 28/12/01 at 22:59
Regular
"How Handy."
The point is that the jumped up little JAT came in here and had a pop at a regular user, someone who does a hell of a lot in these forums. The comment wasnt useful, or even funny. Some newbies are ok, but some like this one seems to be are just annoying. I stopped going in FoG chat coz of little shites like that, I thought they hadnt managed to get to PC yet..
Fri 28/12/01 at 23:18
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
Oh come on - no-one gets to wear crowns round here, do they? Fair enough, we want fair and square discussions, and you're right that these Fox comments were less than constructive, but I think you're in danger of getting a bit elitist.
Sat 29/12/01 at 01:30
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
No, not elitest, just protective. As Andi said, the FOG was cmpletely *ruined* by newbies. Not all newbies, but the only people ruining it WERE newbies. I feel I must also add that a purple name doesn't make you a regular. So far, it seems this forum has remained protected from little scroats like Sly, and I intend to keep it that way.

I'm trying to keep an eye on everyone who joins this particular forum. I always have an open mind about it. I think you'll notice that I didn't tell Tyla, AJH or you to go shove off did I? No. It's only when people like Sly turn I start to get elitest. Newbies can be real problems unless you nip them in the bud, just look at the FOG. Me and the other regulars used to try and keep them in check, make sure not many trouble makers got in. Eventually though, they literally overwhelmed us, and now look at it. The FOG is just a ghost of what it was a year ago, and newbies are the sole reason it has become like that. Furthermore, I dare anyone to prove me different.
Sat 29/12/01 at 01:33
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
doc693 wrote:
> 3. I've still not found any good ... no, I'll rephrase that ... any
> reason to upgrade from Win98. At least decent USB support was a reason to go
> from Win95 to 98. The problem is already growing in the egg though - its now
> getting difficult to buy software for Win95, and I guess Win98 will follow. And
> that's going to be the reason ... when it comes to it.

Nah, no one will drop 98 partly because it's part of 2K.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.