GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Upgrade to WinXP?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 28/12/01 at 14:26
Regular
OK.

At home I have Win98, it does fine... but... I don't want to be left too far behind.

Is there anything about WinXP that justifies an upgrade from a perfectly good machine?

Turbonutter, if you tell me to install Linux, why, I'll.. I'll explode dammit!
Mon 31/12/01 at 02:29
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Because the FOG is full of spamming newbies, illiterate newbies, idiotic newbies, incoherent newbies, unintelligent newbies, and newbies.
Mon 31/12/01 at 02:23
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
soz tbn... why ain't u ever in FOG?

Sonic
Mon 31/12/01 at 02:22
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Please don't spam my lovely forum. Only me, Andi, Phil, Luke, Chris and Alan are allowed to do that :)
Mon 31/12/01 at 02:19
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
guess how old I'll be in new years day!

Sonic

the devil inside!
Sun 30/12/01 at 19:21
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Doc:

That has got to be MS just being money-grabbing.

FunkyG:

I used to have loads of forums (I used to frequent 4 here). Some of them were shut down (F2S) and some were destroyed by newbies.
Sun 30/12/01 at 14:07
Hmmm. Maybe I'll hold off on XP for a while.

Though Turbonutter does have a point about "newbies" though.

Whilst I am a newbie at this particular forum, I hope you can all tell that I am a pretty seasoned forum veteran. I frequent other boards, sometimes with different names, and it is true that occasionally, good forums get overrun by mental newbies. I like reading FOG, but there is also a lot of idiocy in there also.

I came to this forum because the Edge forum just went crazy with newbies, all talking rubbish.
Sat 29/12/01 at 21:27
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
One example for you. I applied for the Beta 2 pack of Visual Studio.NET from M$, and 5 CDs duly arrived in a weird cartoony sort of pack. Anyway, I can't use them on Win98 - it has to be ME, 2000 or XP (oh and probably NT too, but I can't remember). Maybe this is just M$ being deliberately awkward in their install routines, though.
Sat 29/12/01 at 01:33
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
doc693 wrote:
> 3. I've still not found any good ... no, I'll rephrase that ... any
> reason to upgrade from Win98. At least decent USB support was a reason to go
> from Win95 to 98. The problem is already growing in the egg though - its now
> getting difficult to buy software for Win95, and I guess Win98 will follow. And
> that's going to be the reason ... when it comes to it.

Nah, no one will drop 98 partly because it's part of 2K.
Sat 29/12/01 at 01:30
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
No, not elitest, just protective. As Andi said, the FOG was cmpletely *ruined* by newbies. Not all newbies, but the only people ruining it WERE newbies. I feel I must also add that a purple name doesn't make you a regular. So far, it seems this forum has remained protected from little scroats like Sly, and I intend to keep it that way.

I'm trying to keep an eye on everyone who joins this particular forum. I always have an open mind about it. I think you'll notice that I didn't tell Tyla, AJH or you to go shove off did I? No. It's only when people like Sly turn I start to get elitest. Newbies can be real problems unless you nip them in the bud, just look at the FOG. Me and the other regulars used to try and keep them in check, make sure not many trouble makers got in. Eventually though, they literally overwhelmed us, and now look at it. The FOG is just a ghost of what it was a year ago, and newbies are the sole reason it has become like that. Furthermore, I dare anyone to prove me different.
Fri 28/12/01 at 23:18
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
Oh come on - no-one gets to wear crowns round here, do they? Fair enough, we want fair and square discussions, and you're right that these Fox comments were less than constructive, but I think you're in danger of getting a bit elitist.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.