GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS3 Price finally drops"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/07/07 at 11:57
"possibly impossible"
So, Sony have done the one thing everyone said they should do from the off, reduce the price of the Playstation 3.

After news that Blu-ray production costs had been cut, it was inevitable that the price of the PS3 console (kept high due to said Blu-ray technology being built in) would eventually come down.

The new price offer is currently only available in America, with $100 disappearing off the 60 Gigabyte model, making it a more tasty $499. A European price drop is now highly likely based on this.

It also comes at the same time as Sony look to release a slightly amended PS3 version with an extra 20 Gigabytes of hard drive space. This will sell for the old price of $599 but will include Motorstorm. It's worth noting, however, that any standard hard drive can be used in the PS3 and Sony have confirmed this was a design specification.
Mon 09/07/07 at 23:03
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Not cancelled, but its no longer open to the public. Which doesnt mean an awful lot to people who wouldnt go anyway as they'll still be extensive internet coverage of the event. And it still has the usual things like conferences by the major manufacturers etc..
Mon 09/07/07 at 22:44
Regular
"Monochromatic"
E3? I thought that had been scrapped
Mon 09/07/07 at 18:40
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Too little too late unless they unleash a couple of AAA titles due for release in the next couple of weeks following E3.
Mon 09/07/07 at 15:27
Regular
How about they drop the price to £250. That, though still expensive, should get them selling. Even I would be tempted. I imagine in 3-4 years time there will be a slimmer more quieter version on the market for £99.99.
Mon 09/07/07 at 14:53
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Erm....Sony are quite optimistic about this price cut it seems.

"Our initial expectation is that sales should double at a minimum," says Jack Tretton.

I'm not quite sure how a price cut of less than 20% translates to doubled sales.
Mon 09/07/07 at 13:58
"possibly impossible"
Garin wrote:
> Too late to return yours, pb?
>
> European announcement this week apparently. I wonder if it'll
> drop to £350 rather than the obvious £375.

Got quite a good deal for mine. Obviously not as good as the price cut though, but I don't mind. You'd be waiting for ever otherwise for the price to come down.

I do hope it starts to take off more, though, if only to boost the competition and keep all the companies on their toes.
Mon 09/07/07 at 13:40
Regular
"8==="
Nin wrote:
> I know places around here were offering the PS3 for £200 if you traded in your 360 for it.

That'd be Phil Harrison's house then.
Mon 09/07/07 at 13:17
Regular
"Monochromatic"
If it's $500 you would hope for a direct exchange rate and to get it for £250 but thats not likely.
I think this could start the trade-ins. I know places around here were offering the PS3 for £200 if you traded in your 360 for it.
Mon 09/07/07 at 13:11
Regular
I hope this closes the gap a bit, the console war is getting kinda boring.
Mon 09/07/07 at 12:47
Regular
But you can already buy it over here for less than £425 anyway, so whether the actualy sale price will drop when the rrp goes or not is another matter.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.