GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Resi just got scary."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 09/03/03 at 21:20
Regular
I was not very tired last night (the triple 24 bill knocked me out though). So I started the first Resi on Hard, with Jill, to try and blank out all the cries of Zeros greatness around here. :D

Anyhoo, it was after midnight, I had one light on that cast 'long and flat' shadows if you know what I mean. Less of a homely light, more of a colder, spookier one. And it was blowing a gale like Gods a*s with serious wind. Seriously. Windows rattling et al. And I was playing Resi, on hard, with that bloomin' grenade zombie pegging it around. First of all, the natural tension was there, but that zombie thats fast and you can't kill freaked me out, especialy when he turned up in places I didn't expect.

For example, I was running through the balcony area above the dining room at the start, my lovely Samurai Edge in hand. I tapped L to see if any body/ies were about, and it locked on. Cautiously, I moved forawrds. Suddenly the critter charged. At the same moment as thunder rumbled in the real world. Needless to say, I hit the 180 switch, and pegged it out of there! After that, I didn't see him again, thinking he was staying in the same room. Oh no. He turned up in several uncomfotable positions, and at one point, I was trapped between a charging crimson head, and the grenade dude. A quick shotgun blast dispatched the nasty zombie, but I was, actualy, quite shaken. The lights didn't help, I can tell you. At another point, the flimsy door leading out onto the outside balcony with the dogs was wobbling. Foolishly, I opened it. Zombie Dave (as I named him in Digitisers memory) was there. Ah. I ran again. The fear of a fast, lethal enemy that you could not kill was something very new to the game, and not nice, I can tell you.

Enough with the grenade one. He was bad enough. But actualy, in the right conditions, the game itself (without gimmicks) was quite scary in parts. Not horrficly so, as no games are, but it was quite jumpy. For instance, a zombie burst out of a door, grabbing me. Horrible music played, wind howled in real life. I fancied that even the lights flickered. It was horrific for a second, as he was grabbing and I was franticly smacking the pad all over the place. At other points, enemies that I knew were there became frightening because of the eerie real world atmosphere. The lack of health and ammo on hard, coupled with the serious damage even a basic zombie can do, and the real situation around me, created a sense of fright in me that I have never felt playing a game. It really was quite scary, not least because it was the first time I'd felt it.

So, to conclude, Resident Evil finaly became scary for me. Not normaly, but under the right circumstances, it can be quite and unsettling experiance. If I didn't have the Samurai Edge, I think I would have given up - I realised the game was so well balanced, that you felt naked against the enemies without such a powerful weapon - making it really hard. Add the wind, rain, lights, and rattling and you have a scary experiance. An enemy you couldn't kill also created huge amounts of fear. Once again, I say well done Capcom.

Fantastic.
Wed 12/03/03 at 01:02
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Heh, zombie dave.

Great stuff.
Wed 12/03/03 at 00:55
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Yes, I've never really liked things that grab onto you and you have the shake them off. Always give me goosebumps for some reason, you know when the hairs on the back of your neck stand up kinda thing. Gawd damnit. Also I hate those damn dogs, you have to waste ammo on them, and those silly birds.

Damn game (Gotta love it though :op)
Tue 11/03/03 at 22:27
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Small Blue wrote:
> Cyclone wrote:
> I was running through the balcony area above the dining
> room at the start, my lovely Samurai Edge in hand. I tapped L to see
> if any body/ies were about, and it locked on. Cautiously, I moved
> forawrds. Suddenly the critter charged.
>
> But surely an autoaim/lockon system spoils the suspense element of the
> game, as if there's an enemy in the room that you can't see, the
> lockon/autoaim feature is a way of cheating this. That sucks. Big
> time.

You'd think. However, the simple fact that is is that to survive, you need to know, and the character sees it, even if you don't. Add to that that you are going to see the enemy soon afterwards anyway, and there is no room for thinking that.
Tue 11/03/03 at 06:58
Regular
"Spunkeh Monkeh"
Cyclone wrote:
I was running through the balcony area above the dining
> room at the start, my lovely Samurai Edge in hand. I tapped L to see
> if any body/ies were about, and it locked on. Cautiously, I moved
> forawrds. Suddenly the critter charged.

But surely an autoaim/lockon system spoils the suspense element of the game, as if there's an enemy in the room that you can't see, the lockon/autoaim feature is a way of cheating this. That sucks. Big time.
Mon 10/03/03 at 22:07
Regular
Resident Evil is a first rate game... and what's with the control complaints?
Mon 10/03/03 at 22:07
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I am so clever.

Aren't I?!

Yes. *looks for attention*
Mon 10/03/03 at 21:55
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Darn your witty, original replies.
Darn them to hell!
Mon 10/03/03 at 21:47
Regular
"gsybe you!"
You cnidarian malarky.
Mon 10/03/03 at 21:34
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Cyclone wrote:
> *BURN RESI, BURN RESI, BURN RESI, DON'T IGNORE GERRID, BURN RESI*
>
> Maybe I should give gerrid all my money

I agree.
Mon 10/03/03 at 21:33
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Random_gu˙™ wrote:
> usually i hate them because i cant get to grips with the control
> system.

The controls are the same, but Rent it anyway. It's a truly brilliant game, involving and the character swap works really well.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.