GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"US-bought game wont play on UK PS2"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 27/12/01 at 14:16
Regular
I bought GT3 in the US, as a Christmas present for my son. Back in the UK, it wont play on his PS2. I assume it's because it's from a different region, so I'm wondering if I get a multi-region play add-on, or get the PS2 chipped, if he'll be able to use the US GT3? Or are these add-ons only for DVD movies?
Thu 27/12/01 at 14:16
I bought GT3 in the US, as a Christmas present for my son. Back in the UK, it wont play on his PS2. I assume it's because it's from a different region, so I'm wondering if I get a multi-region play add-on, or get the PS2 chipped, if he'll be able to use the US GT3? Or are these add-ons only for DVD movies?
Thu 27/12/01 at 14:21
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Try lookin at the topic about 15 down from here. It has loads of info about the Region X add on plus other info on the region dept.
Thu 27/12/01 at 14:22
Regular
"~SRS~humpo"
there are a few options baff...you can either

a) get your machine chipped to play import and pirate software...this requires the fitter to open the PS2 and invalidate your warranty (if less than 1 year old)

b) buy an external modchip that fits into the usb port of your PS2 and does not invalidate your warranty

c) buy a PAL coded version of GT3

d) buy a US PS2 but i imagine you wont choose this option
Thu 27/12/01 at 17:04
where can u buy a usb mod chip I never knew that??? I aint into pirate gaming just interested in this info for a mate
Thu 27/12/01 at 17:26
Regular
"~SRS~humpo"
Silent85 wrote:
> where can u buy a usb mod chip I never knew that??? I aint into pirate gaming
> just interested in this info for a mate

http://www.consolesource.com/playstation2/p2-neo-key.htm

but you did not hear that from me right
Thu 27/12/01 at 18:44
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Baffcat wrote:
> I bought GT3 in the US, as a Christmas present for my son. Back in the UK, it
> wont play on his PS2. I assume it's because it's from a different region, so
> I'm wondering if I get a multi-region play add-on, or get the PS2 chipped, if
> he'll be able to use the US GT3? Or are these add-ons only for DVD movies?

Just to explain WHY this actually is...

As you may be aware, Americans use different power plugs from us. So to use american appliances we need an adaptor.

Likewise, American console use a slightly different system to ours- partly because they have a different TV signal to output, and partly so that us brits can't simply buy cheaper US games!

However, like the power plug analogy, you can buy a console "adaptor"... either in the form of a chip or an add on that plugs into the console.

"chips" need to be installed inside the console by professionals... they invalidate your console's warranty, but let you play games from america and japan.

As for the add-ons, that'll be the Region X thing that someone else was talking about... don't know much about that.

Sonic
Thu 27/12/01 at 18:50
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
humpo wrote:
> Silent85 wrote:
> where can u buy a usb mod chip I never knew that??? I aint
> into pirate gaming
> just interested in this info for a
> mate

http://www.consolesource.com/playstation2/p2-neo-key.htm

but you
> did not hear that from me right

Why not... they're not illegal... I'll happily own up to me and friends chipping consoles solely for playing imported games...

Sonic
Thu 27/12/01 at 19:01
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
As for the add-ons, that'll be the Region X thing
> that someone else was talking about... don't know much about that.

Region-X only lets you play DVD movies no games at all.
The PS2 USB mod from http://www.consolesource.com/playstation2/p2-neo-key.htm
Still needs you to take your PS2 apart and solder a wire to the PS2's main board. It would be nice to have a USB device or a device like Region-X that only allowed imports to be played. And that didnt require having your PS2 taken apart and messed about with.
Thu 27/12/01 at 19:14
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
There are LOTS of different chips on the market...

What my friends and I tended to do was find companies where we send them the console, they chip it and send it back with a full guarantee so that if it breaks they'll pay to pick it up and fix it...

Why oh why does everyone go on about this one USB chip... there are dozens on the market!

Sonic
Thu 27/12/01 at 21:35
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Well this is the only chip i've really seen. I am not interested in them so dont know who makes them and how many types are on the market.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.