GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PHP Newbie Help"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/12/01 at 21:35
Regular
I got a "beginning PHP4" book for christmas and today, I set about installing PHP4. So, I downloaded the appropriate software and it was all going fine. I installed PHP4 and PWS. It told me what to change in the php.ini file and where to add all the .dll files to, all of which I had done.

Next, I installed PWS and did exactly what my book said to do. It then said it was all fine and it should all be installed. So it then told me how to test if the installation had worked, by making a "phptest.php" file. I copied what it told me to do exactly and saved it in the appropriate place (C:/Inetpub/wwwroot).

It then said to open the web browser and see what happens if I type "http://localhost/" which I did and I got the screen that the book said I should get. I then tried "http://localhost/phpinfo.php" and it asked me if I wanted to download the php file. This is not right because it had a picture in the book of what I should of got.

I just don't know what is wrong so any suggestions would be more than welcome.

Thanks is advance.
Sat 29/12/01 at 02:11
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
No probs.

When you learn more about the whole server thing you should cosider using Apache. It's the nearest you'll get to a proper server environment under Windows.
Sat 29/12/01 at 02:01
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
B****r, never occured to me to actually open it in the background, lol

Thanx Rob :o).
Sat 29/12/01 at 01:51
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Just download and install the Windows version and ta-da!

As long as it's running (see the instructions for the command) you can just access it using localhost as the server name!
Sat 29/12/01 at 01:45
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
ok next question ... MySQL

How do I set this up to work?? I can't seem to find or work this out???

Thanx for any help :o)
Sat 29/12/01 at 01:36
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
That's because you don't have a DNS server locally, I think. Windows is automatically programmed to resolve localhost to 127.0.0.1, the problem is that any host you set in Omni isn't. Therefore, Windows will try to resolve it and, invariably, come up with nothing. *I think*.
Sat 29/12/01 at 01:28
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Thanx Rob :o)

Seems it does work when I make extra Virtual Servers, just when I type http://thenameIgaveit it doesn't work (onlt the default one 'localserver' works) but when I put the number in, works fine ... wired.

But thanx again Rob, sorted my problem there, now it's easier for me to manage :o)
Sat 29/12/01 at 01:20
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Hmm. You may have a DNS problem there...

Try setting IPs for each host. Good ones to use are 10.0.0.0, 10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2 etc... and navigate to http://10.0.0.x/.
Fri 28/12/01 at 23:28
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
Oh, and another thing ... if there's a Freeola techie listening - is PHP4.1.0 going to be installed soonish? Problem is of course that I have that version on my local PC, and I'm in danger of developing incompatible scripts.
Fri 28/12/01 at 23:24
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
Hi

I've tried setting up a new virtual host, too, under both OHTTPD and Xitami. Xitami just won't let you, as it turns out. OHTTPD looks like it will support more than one host name, but then I try getting to the new host via IE's address bar, and it still only responds to 127.0.0.1, or to the Win98 TCP/IP server name as defined in the registry.

So - am I doing something wrong, or is Win98 the problem and I should get some sensible O/S?
Fri 28/12/01 at 22:30
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Setting up new v.hosts should be easy. Give it a stab and see if it works.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.